On the farm diy blood preg test kits ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Does anyone know of there are any blood pregnancy kits I can purchase and test the blood of cows myself for pregnancies? Local vets are charging $30 per blood test ( I draw and deliver the blood ) and $10 for an office visit to drop off the vial so $40 total. They are also charging $20 to palpate , if I wait to palpate I lose time.

@Richnm I saw this on valley vet the other day, looks like you have everything needed. And you get 10 free vouchers if you use an associated lab.

I have used BioPRYN to check pregnancy's but had a few too many incorrect results. I now use the vet and ultrasound which can be done in about the same time frame as the blood test. I often wondered if the urine test for women would also work for cows. just a thought😊

How long does it take ?
you will want to read the directions in the labs info about sending samples. when I used them, some labs only test samples on certain days of the week. I would mail samples on Saturday, they would get to the lab on Monday and test results sent to my email on Tuesday. not always worked that way but most of the time. generally delayed in mail so results would be a day late.

Cattle Stats turns the tests around the day they receive them or the next day at the most. They will then email your results and mail you a hard copy. If you ship it in a post office prepaid box the whole process takes less than a week. Supplies, testing and shipping runs about $5 per head if you have more than just a few. They occasionally will have a test result labeled as suspicious which usually means the cow has recently aborted. They are way more accurate than a vet on short term pregs.

Have used Biopryn for many years. Ditto what bird dog said. Turn around time depends on how far you are from the lab. If you follow the rules the results work. Cows should be minimum 28 days post breeding. Heifers a minimum 25 days post breeding. Way better than dealing with a vet and cheaper.

IDEXX has a rapid chute-side test. Idexx is a lab that vets use and they make all kinds of testing kits and machines for all kinds of animals. It is the test that is in the Cattlestats link that is posted above. You can purchase the test kit and pull blood and run the test yourself. Details on the Idexx site. When I looked at it, it seemed to be a little complicated to run the test with multiple steps and vials of liquids. Procedure is shown on their website. Advantage is same day on the farm test and results, but not so quick as a snap-test. Not quick enough to use to sort bred and open at the chute. A little more cost for that "rapid" test best I remember. I did not use it.

I use the Biopryn method. Draw tail blood in a tube you can order from multiple places or get from your vet. Label the tubes, fill out a form, ship to lab. They have many labs over the country. Our local cow college even processes them and you can drop them off in person there. Low cost ($2 to $3 range) and results in a few days. And pretty accurate. Just understand that they are chemical tests which mean that the chemicals associated with pregnancy are present in the blood. Which means they are pregnant - or recently were.

The test kit was $450 for 150 test with a 6-9 month expiration. I the kit will cover 150 cows. I need a smaller kit or I will start mailing them in. Or a clean up bull lol

The test kit was $450 for 150 test with a 6-9 month expiration. I the kit will cover 150 cows. I need a smaller kit or I will start mailing them in. Or a clean up bull lol
you can get all the supplies you need from your vet or animal health supply distributor. you can order as few supplies as you want.

Biopryn took three days or so? I think they run batches, so depending what day you send in will determine how long results take. (M-th vs Thursday-Monday, for example). Cheap, easy…

20 bucks to arm a cow!! Jeezuz!

Last lil heifer I took to the local sale and the gal that was ultrasounding charged me 8 bucks. She was about 25-30 days bred. She quit running an arm in em. Had a really slick ultrasound machine. High definition and had a tube with the device on the end of it. Best investment she's ever made, she said.

That's pretty steep. I'm assuming that's a minimum with 1 head and it's cheaper with more?

I tail bleed them and it's less than $5 ea usually with the kit and shipping. If you ship 1 vs 50 vs 500 that obviously effects you cost per head. The guy emails me my results with in a couple days and most of that is shipping time. He emails an invoice with link to pay online also... real easy.

I heard in AI class an instant blood detection kit was coming but haven't seen one yet.

20 bucks to arm a cow!! Jeezuz!

Last lil heifer I took to the local sale and the gal that was ultrasounding charged me 8 bucks. She was about 25-30 days bred. She quit running an arm in em. Had a really slick ultrasound machine. High definition and had a tube with the device on the end of it. Best investment she's ever made, she said.
One of ai techs ( I have a few lol ) sells the ultrasound kit and and teaches people how to use them. I might try this route. I need to learn to ai first. Lmao

They say resolution is so good, u can even tell the sex of the calf!

Iirc, and i don't remember the brand or model, but it was about 25k for her setup.
And I could definitely be wrong about the price!
This wand looks similar for the transducer tho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220112-201004_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-201004_Samsung Internet.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
They say resolution is so good, u can even tell the sex of the calf!

Iirc, and i don't remember the brand or model, but it was about 25k for her setup.
And I could definitely be wrong about the price!
This wand looks similar for the transducer tho.
$25 k? I am out. I don't have enough cows to justify the price.

Latest posts