Older cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Buying older cows keeping them and putting weight back on them what's older cows bringing at the sale barn open or bred or as a pair or selling the calf and cow separate interested knowing this information. I have have 3 older ones at the one 6 and two 8 yr olds nice looking cows the 6 yr old is 6 months bred and the and one 8 yr old has a calve at her side and the other 8 yr old is open.

About 50 percent of my cattle are cows I bought out of the kill pen. And it will continue to be that way.
1. I want a skinny cow
2. I want a good excuse for her being skinny.
3. I want good quality tall grass.

Before I turn out I mouth and worm and brand.
Anything with a really weak mouth goes right back to town. I run a bull with them but you will be surprised how many will be bred.
If they calve raise the calves as long as possible but be prepared to wean early.

Don't let the cows loose condition. Your gonna sell them to.

Don't sell old pairs. You'll almost always do better splitting them.
Don't feed the cows. At 50 to 75 cents it ain't worth it. You run outta grass they go.

You can feed out calves of course. :2cents:

callmefence":2bqi103f said:
About 50 percent of my cattle are cows I bought out of the kill pen. And it will continue to be that way.
1. I want a skinny cow

Anything with a really weak mouth goes right back to town. I run a bull with them but you will be surprised how many will be bred.
If they calve raise the calves as long as possible but be prepared to wean early.

Don't feed the cows. At 50 to 75 cents it ain't worth it. You run outta grass they go.

callmefence":l8hpvbuc said:
1. I want a skinny cow

Yeah there turned out on pasture now all the grass they want. Thinking around late May early June maybe i could sell them ...
Got them 3 plus a calve at said for 2500 so I just want to get a some type of profit these being my first cows

Bfields30":33drol88 said:
Buying older cows keeping them and putting weight back on them what's older cows bringing at the sale barn open or bred or as a pair or selling the calf and cow separate interested knowing this information. I have have 3 older ones at the one 6 and two 8 yr olds nice looking cows the 6 yr old is 6 months bred and the and one 8 yr old has a calve at her side and the other 8 yr old is open.

Cutter kill cows were bringing.68 last week.

I lease a good size farm last fall and haven't had anything on it until now. I have been buying all the old black/black baldie heavy bred cows I can find for $550-$650. Will sell the calves early fall and leave the cows on grass to sell late fall after they rebound from weaning. Don't see how I could lose. With my luck anythings possible :lol: If all goes well I plan to repeat next spring, so I wont be out for hay.

midTN_Brangusman":1pkk9vmy said:
I lease a good size farm last fall and haven't had anything on it until now. I have been buying all the old black/black baldie heavy bred cows I can find for $550-$650. Will sell the calves early fall and leave the cows on grass to sell late fall after they rebound from weaning. Don't see how I could lose. With my luck anythings possible :lol: If all goes well I plan to repeat next spring, so I wont be out for hay.

I have done just that a number of times over the years. It always worked for me. You just need to avoid any really old cows.

I have also bought thin empty cows in March. We would go to grass about April 10. Nothing gains on grass like a thin healthy mature cow. Mid June is the top of our kill cow market, so I would ship them then. A 1,000 pound cow that cost $.50 turns into a 1,200 pound cow worth $.65. Heavier cows being worth more money you not only gain the weight but the value of the pounds you originally bought. They also help by utilizing the abundance of grass in the spring.

I bought a group of pairs from a retiring neighbor last year, a couple 4 YO's and the rest 6-8. 1400 for the young ones, and 800 for the aged. Yesterday started calving this group, the first one was an 8 YO baldie cow, nice spry heifer. IMO, the old girls are here to stay until they give me a reason not to, and I won't be afraid to go this route again. The older gals in good shape are easier to make money on than the young ones.
Worse comes to worse do like Brangusman, flip them and start over. Many times you can buy an older cow pair for the price of the weaned calf. Even at low kill price, the cow is worth 50% of your upfront cost.

midTN_Brangusman":3tjeh69n said:
What age you think they are and are they from sale barn ?

BFE":2bskox5z said:
I bought a group of pairs from a retiring neighbor last year, a couple 4 YO's and the rest 6-8. 1400 for the young ones, and 800 for the aged. Yesterday started calving this group, the first one was an 8 YO baldie cow, nice spry heifer. IMO, the old girls are here to stay until they give me a reason not to, and I won't be afraid to go this route again. The older gals in good shape are easier to make money on than the young ones.
Worse comes to worse do like Brangusman, flip them and start over. Many times you can buy an older cow pair for the price of the weaned calf. Even at low kill price, the cow is worth 50% of your upfront cost.
yeah since I'm new to cattling I'm thinking about doing this I plan getting the open two bred and selling in June and the bred one should calf by June and I'll probably sell as a pair

Bfields30":2u17s9pr said:
midTN_Brangusman":2u17s9pr said:
I would say they are all 10 plus, yes they all come from the sale barn.

midTN_Brangusman":36cxt784 said:
Bfields30":36cxt784 said:
midTN_Brangusman":36cxt784 said:
I would say they are all 10 plus, yes they all come from the sale barn.
I plan on going this weekend to check some more out .

Red cow is about wore out, she will probably never gain weight and move up a kill class. Make your money off the calf and don't wait around for her to get fat. I may be wrong but she has that look a big belly and no muscle over her top especially behind her shoulders. Some are just too old to turn around.

Latest posts