Older cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30":2n6btk30 said:
midTN_Brangusman":2n6btk30 said:
Bfields30":2n6btk30 said:
What age you think they are and are they from sale barn ?
I would say they are all 10 plus, yes they all come from the sale barn.
I plan on going this weekend to check some more out .
cows in good flesh are not to bad right now espically east of 35. I like to buy in the late fall when cull prices really tend to tank and winter on oat pasture. I'm selling Friday. the group imselling has 23 cows and 16 ended up with calves. less than 525.oo in them. its already starting to burn up west of the highway I sure wouldn't be in the buying mode right now although you are in a wetter area. most larger outfits cull in the fall when they pull calves. often just based on age. learn to regonize the brands and look for thin cows that are still wet or drying up. where you are you can have winter pasture. you want to sell BEFORE you run out of grass. and early enough the cows can make july4th celebrations. it dosent make a squat how old they are it matters whats left in their mouth. LOOK IN THEIR MOUTH. ........two cents

Allenw":28lgqpeb said:
Red cow is about wore out, she will probably never gain weight and move up a kill class. Make your money off the calf and don't wait around for her to get fat. I may be wrong but she has that look a big belly and no muscle over her top especially behind her shoulders. Some are just too old to turn around.
so wean the calf at 6 months and sell the red cow you would say do you know wat the red cow might bring just off how she looks ?

Bfields30":xr52kdrd said:
Allenw":xr52kdrd said:
Red cow is about wore out, she will probably never gain weight and move up a kill class. Make your money off the calf and don't wait around for her to get fat. I may be wrong but she has that look a big belly and no muscle over her top especially behind her shoulders. Some are just too old to turn around.
so wean the calf at 6 months and sell the red cow you would say do you know wat the red cow might bring just off how she looks ?

She'll sell toward the lower end of cow prices, you can put some weight on a cow like her but they won't upgrade much. I would consider calf price more and demand as well as how the cow and calf is doing more then a time line on selling the calf. Being flexible is a big part in dealing with old cows.

Latest posts