Old/Used Rims

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
Has anybody got any ideas to make use of old/used tire rims? Anything else besides using them as hose reels or weights for piles of tin.

Katherine

You can make a fish cooker out of them. just weld legs on an add a burner.

Stand for bench grinder.Base for mailbox post,got construction going on here need to be able to move mailbox.

Workinonit Farm":2847fs4k said:
Has anybody got any ideas to make use of old/used tire rims? Anything else besides using them as hose reels or weights for piles of tin.

Katherine

They work nice to fill in the gaps on the trailer when you have a load going to the scrap yard! Steel prices are still pretty decent! :D I got tired of seeing so many around....year before last took many loads of scrap out of the old barn and they went along!

Thank you for the additional ideas. I especially like the cooker idea. That could work. The base for the mailbox, at present, the post is pretty well set in the ground, but that will come in handy in the future. As for the bench grinder, I think hubby will like that, it could "portable" so to speak and won't have to be in a fixed location.

At present, around here, I believe the price for scrap steel is around a dollar a hundred, and that old barn probably has enough old rims to make the drive worth the trip and still have a few left over.

Keep 'em coming.

Katherine

Besides the bench grinder, yu can convert a bench mounted drill press to the same kind of deal. Just get a longer piece of pipe the right diameter and replace the shorter one.

dun

Use it to set a mineral block in the field. It has holes to allow it to drain, and its heavy enough the cows wont tip it over like a wooden feeder.

I've used them as tops for tripods to hang deer feeders. Weld stubs at an angle on the rim, slide pipe legs over the stubs (held tight with a set screw). A plate welded on one of the legs has a winch bolted to it for cranking up the feeder.

Turn a tire inside out with the rim in it. Makes a bowl shape. Place a piece of plywood or what ever(cardboard will work) over the holes and pour some concrete onto the surface high enough to drill holes in the tire to drain water. This is usually good for pressed blocks only. I have cut some in half and used them to role water hoses around.

thanks for the post some good ideas for sure ...got me thinking again LOL we have an tire dump on the land we bought last year.. scary scary,gonna make benches by the pond with a few{ use them for legs} goning to make a out door table also, same idea the legs sould never rot, putting treated wood on top, you can cover them with chicken wire and cement over them so that your not looking at tires/rims. will look like pillers.... with al i have to deal with who knows i may make a cabin LOL got some plans from mother news, on earth ships i think i see a barb -q pit by the pond in the future LOL Rose

I used one (rim) to pull out T post.
Used it as a fulgrum , (see saw)
Take a 4' chain tie it at the bottom of your T post, take the other end , and tie it to a 3" pipe (6 or 7 feet).
If I had a bunch to pull out , I might weld a hook at the end of the pipe.
Any way take the rim , put it close to your T post . Lay your pipe over the rim , low side at the bottom of your T post , walk out to the high side of the pipe , and bounce, ;-) :roll:
I'm pushing about 230 so it doesn't take long to get them out of there ;-)

Latest posts