Old Time Herefords..... Just for Camp

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
I tried to find a picture I saw of hardly any white on a bull from way back when but can't trace it. There are several bull from the '50s that were all marked up like Camp's bull... so anybody's guess is as good as mine.

07_herefords.jpg

reg4014.jpg

l1_pacesetter.jpg

Look properly marked mane and all. Not saying the rednecks aren't pretty just not the Herefords I grew up with. Doesn't make might mine right and yours wrong, I just prefer the old line look.

Workinonit Farm":i9ijpm0m said:
The top photo I like best. To me that is how a Hereford should look (marking wise).

Katherine

I agree, just the right amount of white mane and undercarriage to make 'em look purty!!

MULDOON":sqanhwe4 said:
I enjoy watching the older westerns, once in a while you'll get to see a hereford herd , usually it's longhorns.
Also enjoy looking at the older horses.
I get a kick out of all the westerns set in the 1870's & 1880's where cowboys are drivin' herds of purebred Herefords. I dont think that the Herefords became popular out west until the 1890's, am I right?

Hill Creek Farm":3ofah69x said:
I like the bottom picture of that showy bull. he looks like he was a great sire in his days. :cboy:

he's a more recent picture... not like the old herefords of the first two

Jake":34a0iu4q said:
Hill Creek Farm":34a0iu4q said:
I like the bottom picture of that showy bull. he looks like he was a great sire in his days. :cboy:

he's a more recent picture... not like the old herefords of the first two

I've seen that bottom picture in a magazine somewhere. Maybe in the Drover's Journal Roll Call from about 1990. Maybe in the ad for Dillard Hereford Ranch? He is a nice looking bull, and stands more correctly than the old fellow above him. However, I'd say the old bull above him has more meat and substance packed onto his frame than the bottom one. The cattle in the top photo look like they could still be relevant to today's industry. That was before the show fads went to the gutless wonders that we are still recovering from today.

I like the old bull better than the newer bull, too. But truth be told, he packed just as much fat on as meat. Neither of those bulls is ideal, I don't think.

mtnman

Campground Cattle":21yt77jf said:
Look properly marked mane and all. Not saying the rednecks aren't pretty just not the Herefords I grew up with. Doesn't make might mine right and yours wrong, I just prefer the old line look.

It looks like someone else hasn't been worried about improving the hereford breed. I found this ad for some herefords that fit your old line look. Maybe you can add them to your herd. pm me if you want the name and phone number:

REGISTERED HEREFORD CATTLE Selling Herd (100 Animals) Frame score 2 & 3 classic 50 and 60 style, bred for beef. Rancher owned and bred, excellent quality. Bred Cows • Bred Heifers Open Heifers

I also want you to know you didnt run me off. Some of us have too many cows to check from the porch and can't spend all day on the comptuer. Dont worry, I'll be back.

Ferdinand D Bull":205o0uf1 said:
Campground Cattle":205o0uf1 said:

It looks like someone else hasn't been worried about improving the hereford breed. I found this ad for some herefords that fit your old line look. Maybe you can add them to your herd. pm me if you want the name and phone number:

REGISTERED HEREFORD CATTLE Selling Herd (100 Animals) Frame score 2 & 3 classic 50 and 60 style, bred for beef. Rancher owned and bred, excellent quality. Bred Cows • Bred Heifers Open Heifers

I also want you to know you didnt run me off. Some of us have too many cows to check from the porch and can't spend all day on the comptuer. Dont worry, I'll be back.

FDBull thanks as you and some others Ass/u/me when I posted about keeping the color true, I said nothing on frame score. Little small as all my cows run 1200 to 1500 lbs. frame score in the 6 to7 range.
Little challenge I will post my best cows epds lets compare are you like Hill Creek I still haven't seen that kick butt bulls epds from either.

Feel free going to the AHA site here they are
P41147677
P4112339
Bull
P42291477
He is in the top 3% in the AHA for light calves

Now post yours and lets ask Ollie, Certherf, Jake, La4, Frankie,Craig Texan , CRR, Cattle Annie and Bez to be judge and jury. This is a list of very knowledgable cattlemen from across the country and Canada. There are many others on the board as well that are free to input as well.

I call

Campground Cattle":qiuhx0tt said:
Ferdinand D Bull":qiuhx0tt said:
Campground Cattle":qiuhx0tt said:

FDBull thanks as you and some others Ass/u/me when I posted about keeping the color true, I said nothing on frame score. Little small as all my cows run 1200 to 1500 lbs. frame score in the 6 to7 range.
Little challenge I will post my best cows epds lets compare are you like Hill Creek I still haven't seen that kick butt bulls epds from either.

Feel free going to the AHA site here they are
P41147677
P4112339
Bull
P42291477
He is in the top 3% in the AHA for light calves

Now post yours and lets ask Ollie, Certherf, Jake, La4, Frankie,Craig Texan , CRR, Cattle Annie and Bez to be judge and jury. This is a list of very knowledgable cattlemen from across the country and Canada. There are many others on the board as well that are free to input as well.

I call

What is this kindergarten? You show me yours and I'll shhow you mine? I don't have time to research your epd's. I also dont' need your affirmation that I have good cattle. Sorry to hear that you need mine.

Caustic Burno":1qpe44z5 said:
Well Campground looks like the boy's skeered to post his numbers. I say put up or shut up.

Camp, realize that FDB may not have any cattle with any numbers to post or if he does maybe they aren't good enough to let anyone else see them.

Hey what about it Ferdinand? it sure seems like your trying to pick a computer fight with mr. Campground and I cant understand why. I was just a lurker for a long time and been reading his posts for just as long. Anyway, I think mr. campround said he likes them older new Zealand herefords cattle cause of the color and probly for a lotta other reasons to. About a week or 2 ago I seen some pictures here of his cows and a calf he sold to somebody here, and they looked real nice to me and them cows looked like they was good sized and good form. campground is over in Texas and they dont need to raise a monster cow like in canada and montana, etc. (And the calf he sold looked real good to.) his cattle look to be working out just fine for him. but it seems like just cause he runs some real old lines of cattle you automatticly think his are no good and that he behind the times and yours are so much better. you were pricking him about little frame 2 and 3 cattle but his cows sure don't look like them little old Herefords I used to see back about 40 or 50 years ago. You know them little old short squatty baby beef type calfs that everbody took to the cattle shows. I don't have much education and what little I know about cows I learned from what they call the school of hard nocks but I bet they lots of people here that really now what all them numbers mean so why don't you just put yours up for everbody to see and stop pricking campground? No offense but maybe you really are afraid that his are better then yours? and so what if you think you have way more cows then him, what does that prove? you think bigger is always better? I think mr. campground has a full time job workin in a oil refining plant and he still finds time to raise some good looking cattle. more power to him. Sorry i took up so much space :oops:

Hee hee. Better run for cover Fernando..looks like the guru self support group is springing into action!!!!! Scared I bet arent you????? I'd be shaking if I was you....not to smart to disagree with the main Goo roo.

ooooh I am so scared for you

la4angus":24un157r said:
Caustic Burno":24un157r said:
Well Campground looks like the boy's skeered to post his numbers. I say put up or shut up.

Camp, realize that FDB may not have any cattle with any numbers to post or if he does maybe they aren't good enough to let anyone else see them.

I say saddle up the posse FTB called Old Camp out on not improving the breed, says he doesn't have time to look up the EPD's. Way I read the post Camp said put up the numbers and let judge and jury decide. Camp drew a line in the sand. He might not have time to research epd's but FTB had time to go shopping for Old Camp mighty nice of him.
Come on FTB put your best 2 cows numbers out there, yours do have numbers don't they.

Caustic Burno":3td1m983 said:
la4angus":3td1m983 said:
Caustic Burno":3td1m983 said:

I say saddle up the posse FTB called Old Camp out on not improving the breed, says he doesn't have time to look up the EPD's. Way I read the post Camp said put up the numbers and let judge and jury decide. Camp drew a line in the sand. He might not have time to research epd's but FTB had time to go shopping for Old Camp mighty nice of him.
Come on FTB put your best 2 cows numbers out there, yours do have numbers don't they.
Everbody dont have to run cows dummy!!!What if your FTB runs 5,000 hereford stocker calves??? Can he still have an opinion??

Support your local Goo roo!!!LOL

Latest posts