Old John Deere Corn Picker

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit":2qfjoi2l said:
Depends on what your doing with the corn. I grind mine for feed and use the cob as a filler. When we grind combined corn we mix hay in with the minerals and protein supplement. It's way faster to grind ear corn in our old feed mill.

That's exactly how I did my corn. Mix a little molasses in with it and the cattle will love you to death. We don't even have a mill around here anymore and they stopped grinding hay with the corn years ago. Don't know when they stopped using molasses.

HDRider, I don't weight my feed but I probably should. I mix 300lbs of 60% protein mineral, 100lbs of feed sweetener, and 50lbs of F-R-M vitaminde, and 50lbs mixing salt. And grind it with 60-70bu. of ear corn. I have a old International 1150 feed mill and hook it up to my old 3020 JD. My wife and I can grind a the mill full in a hour. Then we auger it into a grain wagon and put it in the barn. One grinding will fill a grain wagon up. We just supplement our rank pastures and hay with about 5lbs per head per day. And when the weather is really cold we feed them twice a day. We do around 10-12 grindings per winter.

highgrit":2l3s6s5w said:
HDRider, I don't weight my feed but I probably should. I mix 300lbs of 60% protein mineral, 100lbs of feed sweetener, and 50lbs of F-R-M vitaminde, and 50lbs mixing salt. And grind it with 60-70bu. of ear corn. I have a old International 1150 feed mill and hook it up to my old 3020 JD. My wife and I can grind a the mill full in a hour. Then we auger it into a grain wagon and put it in the barn. One grinding will fill a grain wagon up. We just supplement our rank pastures and hay with about 5lbs per head per day. And when the weather is really cold we feed them twice a day. We do around 10-12 grindings per winter.

Thank you sir. That is what I was wondering. All the mills I was seeing were very expensive. I looked up yours here http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... ID=8858850

highgrit":3t00lvxm said:
What's really cold for S GA? :mrgreen:

HDRider thats the one, and that one's in great shape. That screen has larger holes than my large screen, and it would be great for grinding hay with the corn. Jed , last year we had freezing rain and ice. Some folks that let their cows and calves fend for themselves lost some.

We ground the whole ear. Added some molasses, sometimes beet or citrus pulp.
The dusty part was auguring it into burlap sacks. Those had to be carried to feed the beef cows.
For the feeder calves we augured the feed into a large container in the barn and shoveled to into 5 gallon buckets to carry.

Now days we have self feeders. Just do not raise our own corn anymore. There is a guy up the road who still picks ear corn. I need to check and see how much he sells it for. I would like to make a load of feed from time to time.

Latest posts