Old hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley":33x1uz1t said:
I think the most I paid for any of the 50 plus Hereford Journals I purchased on Ebay was $20 but I'll take first $10K offer. :D

What is the oldest one you acquired on Ebay?

KMacGinley":2y71wt4s said:
It is the American Hereford Journal Anniversary edition Vol 11 May 15 1920 No 2

Let the bidding begin. :) Perfection Fairfax was pretty big stuff and I think he was raised about 10 miles south of here.

Anniversary edition may be worth more than a normal edition. Was Perfection Fairfax on the cover?

No, but there was an ad and a story about him. He was raised by the then governor of Indiana, McRae, who went to prison later. He is buried on McRae's farm.

KMacGinley":15uvvann said:
It is the American Hereford Journal Anniversary edition Vol 11 May 15 1920 No 2

Let the bidding begin. :) Perfection Fairfax was pretty big stuff and I think he was raised about 10 miles south of here.

OK, I'll put the first bid in... $Zim 10,000.00

KMacGinley":1jmomr3y said:
what is the exchange rate?

No idea the inflation rate was over 1000 000 %

About 6 months ago $Zim 1000 000 000 could buy a bread, if you could find one.

My second favorite old Hereford Journal that I own:

Prince_Domino_Hereford_Journal_2.jpg

Prince_Domino_Hereford_Journal_3.jpg

My favorite is a really nice copy of Volume 1, Number 1. (the very first edition). Sorry, I couldn't scan it - it's currently in my safe deposit box at the bank.

George

This was before the belt buckle days, and I'm sure beyond a doubt he weighed more than 1300. Bear in mind that the original Herefords were 3000# bulls and 2000# cows, before the breeders for the most part decided that was too large to be the best model of efficiency.

Hereford_Journal_001.jpg

Hereford_Journal_003.jpg

http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Hereford_Journal_002.jpg

[img]http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Hereford_Journal_006.jpg

Hereford_Journal_007.jpg

Some pretty good cattle.

Greetings new friends,

I hope you can help me out. My great-great grandfather was the owner of the Repeater 289598 sire. Overton Harris was his name. My grandmother was his grand daughter and she passed away on the 9th. With her passing, most of the Harris Hereford Legacy also passed. I saw the thread about the old Hereford Journals and I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the Harris Herefords.

Please let me know. My family and I would greatly appreciate it!

Regards,

Beth Cowgill

overtonharris":1irfss96 said:
Greetings new friends,

I hope you can help me out. My great-great grandfather was the owner of the Repeater 289598 sire. Overton Harris was his name. My grandmother was his grand daughter and she passed away on the 9th. With her passing, most of the Harris Hereford Legacy also passed. I saw the thread about the old Hereford Journals and I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the Harris Herefords.

Please let me know. My family and I would greatly appreciate it!

Regards,

Beth Cowgill

Beth, there's some history on the Harris herd in John Hazelton's book, History and Handbook of Hereford cattle. A look through old Hereford Journals and a visit to AHA headquarters in Kansas City might also be worthwhile. I know a lot of my old Hereford Journals have advertisements placed by your ancestor.

George

George,

Thank you so much for the information. I was given the name Bud Snidow at the AHA. I'll have to give him a call. Please keep me posted if you find anything else. It's greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Beth

overtonharris":2adkbuyh said:
George,

Thank you so much for the information. I was given the name Bud Snidow at the AHA. I'll have to give him a call. Please keep me posted if you find anything else. It's greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Beth

Another book would be "The First 49 - Personalities In The Honor Gallery Of The AHA's Hereford Heritage Hall" by Donald Ornduff. Overton Harris, of course, was one of these first 49 inductees.

George

In 2008, this discussion focused on a bull listed as the 1918 winner of the American Royal Senior Yearling division. I believe the bull discussed in this forum was owned and showed at the American Royal by my great-grandfather, Clifford Farmer of Willard, MO. We have a large photo of my great-grandfather and the bull taken at the judging and the ribbons from the show but little other information. Does anyone know who purchased this bull? His name at the time of the show was Repeater 7th's Model. I have seen a reference to Kenilworth as a possible rename.

I found the thread while doing internet research on my great-grandfather. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Latest posts