Old hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sooknortex":i7oy6pjj said:
Here's a tidbit:

This picture was taken a couple of years after %$)#!%#$@ *ths *&$#^ won the first place senior yearling at the 1918 American Royal.

He was later renamed.

Hows about Prince Domino 2nd :)

sooknortex":18obyuwx said:
The bulls original name was: Repeater 7th's Model

He was later renamed: Kenilworth

Don't know anything about the bull other than he was first prize senior yearling at the 1918 American Royal.

Found this bull listed on the AHA website KENILWORTH I AM (1467724) No epd's, but he's listed as ACTIVE. :) When you look back, 10 years, 20 years or 50 years, the phenotype of well built bull hasn't really changed a whole lot, just the frame scores have changed. Whether they would work today though is a different story.

sooknortex":1ceyh0ai said:
>>When you look back, 10 years, 20 years or 50 years, the phenotype of well built bull hasn't really changed a whole lot, just the frame scores have changed. Whether they would work today though is a different story.<<

1918 would be going back 90 years!!!!!!!

I looked up Repeater too, I found a Repeater 3 and 5 but no 7th. He was a show bull, probably didn't make much of a herd sire. :D
I found this..

THE TEN LEADING HEREFORD SIRES OF PRIZE WINNERS FROM

1918-1932 IN ORDER OF THEIR TOTAL SCORE

Number Total Average

Rank Name and Number Entries Score 9 Score

1. Prince Domino 499611 .......................... 559 2170 3.9

2. Perfection Fairfax 179767 .................... 372 1414 3.8

3. Repeater 289598 .................................... 290 1208 4.2

4. Bonnie Lad 20th 355369 ........................ 286 1189 4.2

5. PriNce Domino 2nd 1222880 ................ 261 1092 4.2

6. Hazford Tone 1093542 .......................... 251 982 3.9

7. Braemore 666666 .................................. 245 979 4.0

8. Hartland Mis~ehief 1314000 .................. 203 971 4.8

9. Beau Blancha~d 362904 ........................ 207 902 4.4

19. Bocaldo 6th 464826 ................................ 166 781 4.

jhambley":orbko3o4 said:
Is it just me or does this bull appear to have a feminine front and head?

JH
The shape and downward angle of the horns make him look feminine, along with the length of the face. The "Cigar" is the nose ring connection to the nose lead.

One can easily determine why the "Hair Salon" treatments were discontinued, along with feeding the stock to the point of Sterility!

DOC HARRIS

HerefordSire":pjuo1e3x said:
ALACOWMAN":pjuo1e3x said:
it's ashame they wanted to breed away from that phentype

Looks like he is good and dark dark red. :mrgreen:

Figure he weighs about 3,000?

I would guess more like 1300, but he is Dark Red. :) I have an American Hereford Journal from 1920 that I like to take a peek at every now and then. The cattle were pretty good looking back then.

He is awfully fat to only weigh 1300. I was thinking more like 2100. It is really hard to tell without knowing height and length.

KMacGinley":eh6gtv0u said:
HerefordSire":eh6gtv0u said:
ALACOWMAN":eh6gtv0u said:
it's ashame they wanted to breed away from that phentype

I would guess more like 1300, but he is Dark Red. :) I have an American Hereford Journal from 1920 that I like to take a peek at every now and then. The cattle were pretty good looking back then.

Where did you get the 1920 publication? What do you think it is worth?

[/quote]

I would guess more like 1300, but he is Dark Red. :) I have an American Hereford Journal from 1920 that I like to take a peek at every now and then. The cattle were pretty good looking back then.[/quote]

Where did you get the 1920 publication? What do you think it is worth?[/quote] if you ever had you'r chance too sell it kmac......strike while the iron be hot

I got it from an old man in 1986 who had raised Herefords for the past 60 years or so. He had married the daughter of a guy that had a large hereford farm and he had collected all these Hereford books, he had boxes and boxes of them. He had no kids or heirs and offered me as many as I wanted. I only took 2. A 1958 edition of Polled Hereford world and the aforementioned one. I wish I would have taken more, because I am sure after he died they were all thrown away.

The old Hereford Journals can be purchased on Ebay from time to time. Just setup a notification using the keywords "hereford journal" on ebay.

KMacGinley":123epaa7 said:
I got it from an old man in 1986 who had raised Herefords for the past 60 years or so. He had married the daughter of a guy that had a large hereford farm and he had collected all these Hereford books, he had boxes and boxes of them. He had no kids or heirs and offered me as many as I wanted. I only took 2. A 1958 edition of Polled Hereford world and the aforementioned one. I wish I would have taken more, because I am sure after he died they were all thrown away.

A friend of mine aquired a 1960s Boy's Life in mint condition with Mickey Mantle on the cover for $20 at a garage sale in Atlanta. A week later he gave it to me. I went to Ruth Chris' steakhouse and had lobster dinner with Mickey Mantle. He signed it for me along with many baseballs and his autobiography. I gave the magazine back to my friend. Not sure what it is worth now but I would guess around $1K.

The 1920 publication you have could be worth as much as $10K, just guessing.

I think the most I paid for any of the 50 plus Hereford Journals I purchased on Ebay was $20 but I'll take first $10K offer. :D

It is the American Hereford Journal Anniversary edition Vol 11 May 15 1920 No 2

Let the bidding begin. :) Perfection Fairfax was pretty big stuff and I think he was raised about 10 miles south of here.

Latest posts