Old diesel fuel

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have a 1086 international I don't use much. Fuel is two to three years old. Runs nice but starts hard. Any additive I can ad? thanks farmguy

I would check the fuel pickup in the bottom of the tank, sludge can cause the lift pump to work hard to deliver fuel and when you shut it down it sort of sucks the fuel back a bit and when you start it up again after a long rest it has to work to get the fuel back up there. A quick but temporary fix would be to disconnect fuel line and blow air back in there to clear it. I had a similar problem with my Cat D4D after one track abruptly sunk in a spring and the lurch disturbed the sediment in the tank. Certainly worth looking at before making any adjustments.

Ken

3 year old diesel isn't very old IMHO.. I'd go with what D2Cat said.. run it hard

Is it recent that it's been hard to start? my IH684 likes a little sniff if it's less that 70F out, but it runs fine

Drain that out put fresh diesel in. Next time add Stabil... diesel really only keeps 6 months unless you add that.

I have a 1086 international I don't use much. Fuel is two to three years old. Runs nice but starts hard. Any additive I can ad? thanks farmguy
Change the filters and drain any water out the bottom of the tank. Get a bottle of Howeé fuel conditioner and add the entier bottle then fill the tank full. Run it and use it. I add Howe's to my storage tank at the rate it recommends and then add a quart to each tan in winter. It will make an old engine run like you overhauled it. During the cold snap you couldn't find Howe's the truckers bought it all up. I had the recommended amount in my storage tank and it gelled at -15 one morning, but the fuel in my tank was fine because it had more in it....

Petrol or diesel? Diesel can last in good condition for at least two decades i know of personally.

Old diesel with sulfur may have been different. Not to say you can't still use it, I wouldn't be running it in a common rail diesel.

On diesel fuels that age I would suspect gum formation due to oxidation. Different crudes are better or worse from different regions of the world.
I would use what's in in to kill weeds.
As already suggested replace the fuel add some Power Service diesel kleen and run it.
If it's still hard cranking I thinking injection timing.

Latest posts