Old Cow acting crazy

Help Support CattleToday:

tg

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody has ever seen this, or can tell me what is going on. I have a cow that is about 10 yrs old, she is the only cow that has not calved yet this year, she just started acting strange she has separated herself from the other cows and is staying in the woods by herself for 3 weeks now when ever I try to bring feed to her she will run away and I can't get around her. she would almost knock me down when ever I had feed but now she is running wild.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did she calve in the brush and you just can't see it, so she is being protective? For the past three years EVERY last calf has been backwards, not to wish bad luck, but maybe there is something odd going on, dead calf stuck inside? My first guess is she has a calf somewhere she is hiding. Keep us posted.

my thoughts are the same as Dee-----either she has a calf in the brush, or she has a problem with a calf inside---good luck

Look to see if she has been nursed. If I was guessing I would saw she has a calf hid out.

Hiding a calf for three weeks..I don't think so. I would be looking for something else....give us a 12 hr history of what she does.

Have you seen her each day during this 3 week period?

If so has she ever looked like she had calved?

If she was carrying a dead fetus..this long I think she would have aborted it or would be very ill.

Has she lost weight durng this 3 weeks?

Do you see her grazing...getting water?

Is she standing all the time...laying down all the time or both?

Have you seen her chewing her cud?

Is her udder full?

As was asked...does her teats look like they been nursed?

Is she fighting flies normally?

Are her ears standing normal for her?

Are there any swelling on ...side off face/hips/legs/belly?

I know this is a lot of questions...but ..necessary for a profile.

Like Bama, I would look at her bag. If she's nursing I'd leave her alone. If not, and she doesn't look like she's close to dropping a calf, I'd sell her.

Craig-TX

Because of my work I see her about 3 - 4 times a week, I have checked all around where I see her and I am pretty sure she has no calf. I have raised about 5 calves off of her and she has never acted this way.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago when I first found her she was drooling from the mouth and could not keep feed in her mouth, for the last 2 weeks she looks healthy but stays to her self and runs when ever she sees me even when I have feed. she will not go around the other cows at all.

When ever I see her she is grazing, I have not seen her drank water but have to assume she is after this long

Her weight looks to be about the same the best I can tell at a distance.

Utter is not full

I can see her tail swinging but can't get close enough to tell if any swelling or injuries to body.

hope this helps

ok your cow has something wrong with her. drooling from the mouth is not normal. she wouldnt be hiding a calf for 3 weeks, sorry. rabies could be a possiblity although she would probably be dead by now. but cows with rabies are either very aggressive or stupid/delerious/wild/crazy. drooling could mean she had something stuck in her throat but she would have lost weight by now, my best guess would be she got into some poisonous plants that had a neurological effect on her or snakebites have been known to affect the brain before as well. i'm leaning toward poisoning.

Since this is not her usual behaviour, perhaps it's time to round her up and check her over to make sure she is ok? Just a thought.

My vote goes with msscamp... round her up, get her to a confined space so you get get a closer look and observation, may need to get a vet to check her out at the same time. Lapse of calving may be a clue to something gone wrong.
Remember, many illnesses and issues are not so acute, and are actually chronicly degenerative, and you may be seeing the tail end of an issue that has been there for some time, and is just now manifesting symptoms. (now I sound like the wife).

Good Luck! :cboy:

i would say she has anaplasmosis. they seperate & they will charge for no reason. if it has been three weeks she will probably live. if you could get her in without exciting her you could give 60cc of la200. if you get her stirred up to much it will kill her. been there & done that. and they hit you hard

ag,
I don't know your experience so forgive for being elementary...cows drool at the mouth much of the time...have you seen a cow sling her head up over side to the back with the long tongue out after flies...and as they do a string of drool flies everywhere. I am assuming you mean something more than the normal. I agree with others get her up and check her out. Something is amiss with her....not normal.

if you can get within 30-40 yards of her, shoot her with 5 cc's of rompum and that wil put her to sleep, or almost and then you can go up to her and check her out. if you cant get close to her to get her up and you certainly dont want to excite her for fear of killing her, it is either tranquilize her to check her or leave her alone and she lives or dies on her own

lets see if she go anaplaz it would kill her fast w/o having the shots so thats out esp in 3 wks the best thing to do is corall her but be careful as crazy as she is she could just flatout try to kill you so if you lot her or whatever be able to get away from her and put her in the chute scott

I have never had a cow or heifer die of anaplasmosis, they just get sick and poor. Bulls and bull yearlings, now that's a different story, it will kill them in 1 to 2 days. That's why all bulls are given shots and all bull yearlings are sold before they reach yearling age. Especially this year, flies are bad.

for me i,ve decided to leave any of mine alone. most seem to die with getting them caught. best thing to do is mix aureomycin in with minerals to prevent it

Latest posts