old barns.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
are there any old barn enthusiasts out there? if i posted some pics of an old barn that is about to fall down could anyone tell me stuff about it?

Like what?????

It's old and needs to be torn down, Just funnin' I like old barns but don't know much about them.

Beefy,

On a side note, I like to take black and white photos of old barns - the joists, beams, old equipment, etc. make such neat photos.

But other than that, I'm afraid I'm not much help.

I love old barns. I hate to see them fall or be torn down. I used to take pictures of barns when traveling around, but, that was before digital cameras and Al Gore invented the internet. They used to put a lot of pride in the barns around the East Tenessee area. Even the old smoke houses small livestock barns bring back memories. There are just a few around here now.

We have an old barn, ours is over 115 Years. I don't know much about it but there is a board in the grainery with some writing on it. I can't remember the exact words I will have to write it down next time. Our barn is used everyday and is still standing good.

detail

Heres a pic of our barn, well part of the barn.

Melissa[/img]

Beefy, post it when you can. I just got done burying what was left of an old Tobacco barn. I'd like to see it, as every barn has a certain type archictecture to it.

There's still a bunch round here in that shape. The "Antique Lumber" guys that buy up old barns are taking then down as fast as they can buy them.They sell the lumber for flooring, furniture, picture frames you name it.Certain woods are bringing darn good $$.

If i cant save it (and lets face it, its in pretty bad shape) I will probably use the wood for flooring in the house. house was built in 1890s so the barn is pretty old too. there are 3 right there in my yard. this stock barn, a tobacco barn that is not as old and a barn right next to this one i dont know what it is used for. i will post more pics later. but this is the main barn i was wondering about. up top was obviously a hay loft, below has a feeder in it so i assume was for cattle or horses. there are two storage rooms in the back for ? and on the side are hog stalls i guess.

heres the other one. i assume those were horse stalls on the west side? west being right. and that the cows and pigs lived around the other barn, which is just to the left.
barn2.jpg

ok maybe not horses since that edge is so low but i dont knwo what was original and what wasnt either..

this barn has pretty good wood in it, especially on the inside walls. the tobacco barn has good wood in it too but its a lot younger than these barns.

So what's wrong with those barn's Beefy? They look just like mine and I use them. :lol:

The first one looks like a livestock feeding barn that had a corn crib in it. Maybe hogs and cattle both. It is built so low, for livestock purposes only.
The second barn, the tallest, it looks like a wagon was kept on the right hand side. It looks like there is a wall inside the hall to the left. Is it a stall wall or is it a corncrib? The barn is built so tall, it makes me wonder if it was used to store hay. Some of the corn cribs were built tall and narrow too. Some of the corn cribs were really tall with only slatted walls and a tin roof over corn.

I love old barns, and will pull over on the side of the road to take pictures if I have my camera with me,(which most times I do) This is one that I would dearly love to own. Not many old wooden barns left in this part of the world. Hate to see em go.
7.jpg

Have you ever noticed that barns in a particular area are all built the same? Around where I live, I know that several barns were built by the same man - he made a little diamond-shaped cutout at the top up by the roof - as his signature. The tobacco barn at a farm nearby is held together with wooden pegs! Talk about work!

A lot of the barns in West Tennessee, were built with govenment money after the war. They must of had only a couple of different plans you could build because they all looked alike, with a few minor changes. They all had a main hallway, with a very tall hay loft. It had a ladder built on the side of the wall. The center top, was a hay spear on rollers that would drop from where the roof extended out and would roll all the way to the back of the barn. A rope was attached to the spear. The one on our property, had a large corn crib and feed room on the right, with two sheds on each side. I Just guessing, I would say that it was about 70 X 70. A tornado blew it down around 1975 or 76.
In the winter time, in the 60's, we would go in the loft and stack the hay so that we had to crawl on our hands and knees through a run that had a few turns in it. A hay house would be at the end of it. We would put boards over the top so that we could stack a row of bales across the top and have plenty of room to crawl around in. Sometimes when you got to the house, the cats would be asleep in there.
We also had barn swallows in the same nest each summer. I drilled a good sized hole above the nest and covered it with a board. Then I would remove the board and lay real still when the momma bird came to feed the babies.
I guess this is what you do when you don't have a
"Gameboy!"
And back then, I would have been asleep by now instead of sitting at the computer! :lol:

This is the inside of barn 1. i guess the back rooms were for feed? Barn owl lives there now. hay above in the loft, ladder on the side wall at the front was taken off to prevent me from climbing up it as a kid. feed trough on the right. stalls for sows on the right.
barn3.jpg

Inside of barn 2, "the tall barn"
no stalls inside. stalls on the right for something i suspect. they had to keep mules somewhere? i suspect the wagon was kept in the front on the right and mules behind that?
Picture129.jpg

side view of barn 2.
barn4.jpg

Latest posts