Okay trailer experts, help me out!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

What would you pull such a beast with?[/quote]
a 1 ton dually will pull that all day long.[/quote]
and pull the guts out of the truck
a good built 40ft trailer will weight in the 10-12k range and if you put a 80hp tractor and baler you are adding another 12-15k plus with the truck you could easily be grossing 35k and a 1 ton sure isn't made to do that especially all day every day
plus if you have any hills or rough terrain you don't have enough stopping or pulling power

I love these idiots that buy a 1 ton and gooseneck trailer and think they can haul anything and then they wonder why their truck is always in the shop and they are always having to put brakes on them and always complaining what a POS this model or that model of truck is
we have a guy from Texas that has been hauling hay he went and bought a chevy 45 or 5500 or the equivalent and has a 40ft gooseneck I don't think he hasn't made a trip yet that it hasn't cost him either in tires or engine work
he could of bought a good single axle semi for 25% of the cost of the truck he bought and been better off

WW
if your going to be hauling alot and any distance don't by a diesel PICKUP get a heavier truck and you will save money and stress in the long run
as for hauling a tractor and baler I would look at a 36ft trailer with a hinged hydraulic dovetail
it makes loading and unloading alot easier
the only problem alot of them are Not long enough for you to load a tractor and an implement
so you may want to have the bed tilt instead plus then you don't have to have a power unit to run the bed tilt like you do the hyd dovetail
here is a link that shows a hydraulic dovetail
http://www.pjtrailers.com/trailers.cfm#Flatdecks[/quote]

I second that for sure. If your gas truck cannnot pull it, you are going to need something heaver than a pickup to stop it anyway. I have saw short wheelbase class 8s (mobile home toters and old Coke trucks) for under $5000 around here. These will pull and more importantly stop more than any diesel pickup. The brakes on these trucks are more expensive to work on than pickups, but the drivetrain will cost about the same to maintain.

What is the tread width on the baler? I just hauled a 346 home on an 8' wide trailer. Put the left tire on the ramp & built a slide out of two 8' 2x6 & a 3' 4x6 for the left ramp. The slide allowed the right tire to hang over the left side of the trailer.

Always cracks me up to see a 40' 5th wheel on a 1T dually when one can buy a COE IH tractor for about $3K & not trash the $50K dually.

JSCATTLE":2yaa7995 said:
I must be one of the idiots . Guts are still in my dodge and I've been hauling hay at tractors for the past 14 years . Funny thing is the motor is the same as the over sized trucks . Just geared different. Bigger axles etc.. However if the trailer has fn brakes you can stop it with a datsun . At least I'm not a know it all jack ass callin people idiots .
JS
I never called you out personally and I don't appreciate being called a Jackass
I just said I love idiots that think because they have a 1ton diesel they can pull anything

The motor is NOWHERE near the same in a semi as it is in a 1 ton and as for having brakes on the trailer it still takes WEIGHT to make the brakes effective
as far as pulling I would just bet I have pulled as many if not more miles in the last 25yrs with heavier loads in rougher country and a one ton with a 32ft trailer don't allow much room for cargo going by the GVWR of both vehicles
I have owned 1 tons and owned semi's the semi's are alot less maintenace and does the job alot easier and more economical than a 1ton in the long run

I would love to see you hook a 40ft gooseneck to your 1ton and load it with hay and come try and keep up with me with a 42 bale load of hay where I am used to pulling

as for things being the same NOTHING is NOT brakes,engines,tires,gears,clutches suspension,frames
and DOT in our area loves writing tickets to guys in 1tons with loads of hay

I'm not a hot shot or trucking company either . I pull about 20 miles from the hay field to my barn . I use a 30 foot float and I know it's over weight . Sorry I thought since I was the one who started with the 40 ft float it was directed at me . Besides this was a bout ideal trailers .

My choice would be a trailer just long enough for the tractor and wide enough. Tandem axles at least 15000 total. Low enough with a short dovetail to be able to drive the tractor on without ramps. Load tractor chain down and leave the baler on the tractor and let it be pulled on the road without loading on the trailer. Also trailer would be a bumper pull with appropriate brakes and lights.

hurleyjd":cxhv9p4z said:
My choice would be a trailer just long enough for the tractor and wide enough. Tandem axles at least 15000 total. Low enough with a short dovetail to be able to drive the tractor on without ramps. Load tractor chain down and leave the baler on the tractor and let it be pulled on the road without loading on the trailer. Also trailer would be a bumper pull with appropriate brakes and lights.
WHY????

Angus Cowman":25cx723j said:
hurleyjd":25cx723j said:
WHY????

Because that is what I have and it works very well. An F 350 can handle the bumper pull trailer very well. Mine has side rails and is only 12 inches of ground clearance. The dove tail is only 18 inches and clears the ground by 8 inches and the tractor can be driven on the trailer without any trouble. I have known some of the farmers in this area that have backed the tractor off of the goose neck and the tractor turned over. One had an opened top and the tractor fell on him and he was killed.

A semi is the way to go! How big is the question. If your only hauling a small tractor and baler a SA will be more than enough. Much safer and cheaper than a pick-up. Tires are more expensive, but you'll have much less trouble with flats. Brakes are expensive but if maintained they last nearly forever. Same goes for the driveline. Anytime you can operate machinery below its full capacity it will generally last much longer. As has been said on here already, a drop deck with a hydro dove tail would be ideal. Slide outs so that you can have the full width of your baler tires resting on the trailer would be a good idea. Tires are to high to abuse them by having them rest on an edge and then bouncing down the road. It's a good way to bust the belts inside. A beaver tail ramp on the back of the trailer would be alot cheaper than the hydro dove tail, but you would lose some capacity when hauling hay. Also much more prone to hanging up when crossing ditches and such.

Latest posts