OK - I can finnally say it!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We're finished calving - AND NO TWINS!!! First year in -- I don't know how many years. YEAH!!!
Had last calf April fools day. Last 5 were late born HEIFERS.
Ended up having 19 bulls & 19 heifers (lost 1 bull & 1 heifer).
Yuk - just looked out the window & it started SNOWING.

Congratulations. We started our second set about 2 weeks ago and it is dying off for a little while, but is going to start up again pretty soon. Had a lot last week because of the weather change. I don't even think I want to know our heifer to bull ratio. We have had a couple set of twins. All I have to say . . . way too many rugrats running around the pasture!

Simmishowchick,

You must have a big operation. I haven't been through too many calf births yet, but its an amazing process to watch.

Thats funny you got the 50/50 Heifers and Bulls for me that never works I either got more hefiers or bull born for a calf crop

Well with my i have about 75 or 80 of my personal herd and my boss has umm .. . probably around 65 or 70 too, so yeah. We have one the biggest simmental cow/calf operation in michigan as far as the breed registry goes. It is a lot of work and the more you get, the more room you need to keep them, that is one thing in our area that is hard to come by.

We rarely end up EXACTLY 50/50, just a "play" of the numbers. Generally, we have more heifers than bulls, which is what we want.
Got slammed with a winter storm (Nor'easterner) - have at least a foot of REAL wet snow. Not nice!

Yeah, know what your going through. We got alot and now it is all muddy and everytime it starts drying up, it rains again. The ground is so wet and where our show cattle and calvers are, we get all the run-off water for about 3 miles. Lets just say it isn't very fun right now.

We've got about 20 left that are late but with the heat and drought last year we left the bulls in later on the now second calvers. I think we are bull heavy this year just from what I remember from tagging. But it also seems like there are more heifers running around untagged than bulls.

Jeanne - Congrats on ending your calving season. We are getting ready to start. We put our bull in July 1st for mid April calves. Have 4 cows springing and I hope they hold off for another day or two. We have 8 inches of snow. I agree - bring on summer.

Latest posts