Ok don't laugh

Help Support CattleToday:

katscars

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use a human fetal monitor on my cow to see if she is in calf? If so would I be listening for a quicker heart beat? where would I look for the heart beat? If not why not? Is it because of the thickness of the hide?
Thanks
Kata :oops:

katscars":2utoah0v said:
I was wondering if I could use a human fetal monitor on my cow to see if she is in calf? If so would I be listening for a quicker heart beat? where would I look for the heart beat? If not why not? Is it because of the thickness of the hide?
Thanks
Kata :oops:

It can be done and I have seen it done. A vet used a system for a cow that had been struck by a car to determine surgical decisions. lol It wasn't my cow, I just happened to be there at the time. The biggest problem I see is removing the hair and knowing where to shave it. There is no telling how that calf is positioned early on. It would be much simpler to just palpate in your case.

Why don't you use the tried and true method of sticking your arm in and feeling for the calf?

Can I laugh now? (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

it seems like a heck of a lot of trouble, but if you have a good reason, it sounds like a cunning plan. :|

I don't want to do anything when I have no idea what I am doing, like reaching in. I posted a pic on another question about my cow. She is behaveing as if she is open but she is twice as round as her sister who is about the calve. So I thought I could just use a monitor to see if there was another heart beet or not. Don't want to get the vet in unessesarily.
Kata :)

I think it would take a whole lot more medical skill to find a fetal heartbeat in a cow, being able to differentiate the fetal heart from the cow's, than to stick your arm up her butt and feel for a calf. Good luck!

Yea if the other cow and her are suppose to be bred at the same time and theother cow is clsoe to calving see how big her bag is. And then i agree with who ever said put ona glove and put your hand on up there.

She took a walk one night about 7mths ago, she was on heat and ended up the night in the neighbours bull paddock. Next morning I had one hell of a time getting her out! Anyway she looks like she is haveing twins. Maybe that is me being naieve. She is a dairy and is boney accept for around the stomach area. So I should just stick my hand in? What should I feel for? little hooves? Do I aim down wards? How far in do I go?
Her udder are in front is dried up the other 3 we are still milking from. It is huge but she is still feeding the calves though I have almost weaned them off.
I thought it was bloat but she seems fine and has gradually been getting bigger.
thanks for all the advice,
Kata

katscars":1xdm6dyf said:
She took a walk one night about 7mths ago, she was on heat and ended up the night in the neighbours bull paddock. Next morning I had one be nice of a time getting her out! Anyway she looks like she is haveing twins. Maybe that is me being naieve. She is a dairy and is boney accept for around the stomach area. So I should just stick my hand in? What should I feel for? little hooves? Do I aim down wards? How far in do I go?
Her udder are in front is dried up the other 3 we are still milking from. It is huge but she is still feeding the calves though I have almost weaned them off.
I thought it was bloat but she seems fine and has gradually been getting bigger.
thanks for all the advice,
Kata

If you are going to palpate her make sure it is a rectal palpation (poop chute). Put on a O.B glove (36") a little Lube, and go expirement. Be Gentle. It won't hurt her and you may learn a little. It would be good to google Beef palpation 1st to help you learn anatomy. Gotta go eat supper. Let us know what you do.

I think my question has been answerdthis morning she has quite alot of blood on her tail. I have never seen so much blood on her before. She didn't seem any different though,but now I guess we can be sure she is not in calf?
Thanks for everyones help
hope the blood is normal..
Kata

katscars":350jpsir said:
I think my question has been answerdthis morning she has quite alot of blood on her tail. I have never seen so much blood on her before. She didn't seem any different though,but now I guess we can be sure she is not in calf?
Thanks for everyones help
hope the blood is normal..
Kata

2-3 days following a heat, blood is normal

It takes my entire arm. Go through the poop chute and down a bit. Sometimes you have to shake you hand up and down and you will feel the calf. If you are nervous about it google it. I doubt much can go wrong as I did it my first time with just the instrutions of make a fist and push your arm in. Make sure the cow cant back up onto you though. We put a bar behind ours.

Everyone should have to do the entire herd once in their life time.

This is one task I DON'T mind paying the vet to do.

"Somebody point me in the direction of the nearest car wash please!"

Latest posts