Oh Happy Day! (now with pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Today a long time wish has come true. I purchased my first Springfield M1 Garand. I have had opportunities before but never the right rifle for the right price. I wanted a true WWII rifle. Well I was all set to go to the CMP down in Anniston, AL. on Saturday and sort through the hundreds of M1's there. I mentioned it to a co-worker and he said that he had an old M1 in his closet that he inherited years ago from a family member and his wife had been bugging him to sell it due to her fear of firearms in the house. I went over to his house this morning to look at it with a box of 30-06 ammo in hand to test it with. He had replaced the stock years back with some very nice wood from another surplus M1 so it is not the original wood issued with the rifle but it is supposed to be original M1 wood. He pulled it out of the closet, wiped off the dust and my jaw dropped at the great condition this rifle was in :shock: I checked the serial number range and the date stamped on the barrell and it puts it being made in November of 1943. Perfect for what I was looking for! I cleaned the barrell and checked it and the action for obstructions and cracks and it looked great. We took it outside and shot at mason jar lids at 75 yards. With some slight sight adjustment I was hitting these regularly. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said that he had no idea of the value so I suggested we look online. He said that he would sell it for 60% of what they sold for online if I had cash. I am salivating at that point. We pull up some sites and it seemed that similar rifles were selling for about 1k so I eagerly shelled out the 600.00 he required. As I started to leave he said....."wait a minute I forgot something that came with this rifle". He went back in the closet and rummaged around and came out with an original 18" bayonet with a 1906 date stamp. The 18" bayonet was originally made for the 1903 / 1917 rifles but the M1 was designed to accept the same bayonet. Because WWII was unlike WW1 where trench warfare was the norm it was deemed unwieldy after a couple of years so in about 1943 they started cutting the old ones down to 10" and making new production models as 10". So now I have my long lusted after M1 and an 18" bayonet all for 600.00 :banana: I will post pics maybe after I get home tonight.

I must be older than you.

I have long wanted a Springfield 03A3.

but there area lot of things higher up on the want list.

congrats on getting your rifle. I think you both got a good deal.

I want an 03A3 myself. I called the CMP and inquired but they have sold out for now. When I was a younker my Dad had an 03A3 that I deer hunted with until my grandfather gave me a Rem 742 Woodmaster in 6mm Remington. If I find another opportunity like this one for an 03 you can bet your fanny that I will be taking advantage of the deal :cboy:

Here is a pic of my Garand as promised. Pics are from my cell phone so they aint the best especially since my phone was still damp from pressure washing the porches. I took a pic of a 100 yard 5 shot group that I shot this afternoon during ammo tests. It really likes the 150 gr. Federal SP's. I am not the worlds greates shot by any stretch but I was able to make it shoot a 3.75" group with the standard M1 open sights from a sandbagged rest. A good marksman could really make her sing I bet. I think with a scope I could cut that group in half. It took about 20 rounds to get used to the initial trigger creep and the 6 lb. break but at least it is crisp after the creep hits the wall. I can deal with that. Does anyone know if a good smith can adjust the trigger?

m1garand.jpg

5shotgroup.jpg

Nice looking rifle. Glad you finally found what you were looking for. Unlike the french rifles I bet that one has never been dropped. ;-)

Nice group. Who did you hire to shoot it for you? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I envy those eyes buddy. I have a cataract covering 2/3's of my shootin eye and am barely functional with a scoped rife. No good at all with open sites for now.

I sure like that rifle. :tiphat:

back in the mid 70's buddy of mine had a closet full of em,, about half wound up stolen heck you could have bought a truck load then for 600.00 dollars

The Garand and the 1903 Springfield are two of my favorite rifles. I own a few of each. I wouldn't take the trigger group to just anyone for a trigger job on a garand. If you do a search in one of the numerous on line gun forums you'll find a ton of info on the M1. Fulton Armory would be my choice to send the trigger group to and have it gone over. The trigger will be around 4-4 1/2 pounds. Any less and it may go a little full auto or fire when the bolt slams shut. Also watch what ammo you shoot in the M1. Stick with the 150 grain bullets and you'll be fine. Stay away from anything 180 grain and heavier.

rla442":1o18b1lv said:
The Garand and the 1903 Springfield are two of my favorite rifles. I own a few of each. I wouldn't take the trigger group to just anyone for a trigger job on a garand. If you do a search in one of the numerous on line gun forums you'll find a ton of info on the M1. Fulton Armory would be my choice to send the trigger group to and have it gone over. The trigger will be around 4-4 1/2 pounds. Any less and it may go a little full auto or fire when the bolt slams shut. Also watch what ammo you shoot in the M1. Stick with the 150 grain bullets and you'll be fine. Stay away from anything 180 grain and heavier.

Thanks for the info rla442. Any idea the average cost for Fulton to do a trigger job? The CMP may be getting more 03's in November or early next year. I will probably buy one of those then. Have you ever shot any of the Garand matches? That sounds like it might be a blast to do as long as it doesn't get so competetive that it is no longer fun.

I don't know what Fulton Armory would charge for a trigger job (been way too many years since I had them do one). Their website does show a complete trigger assembly for a Garand around $170. Give them a call and ask the price. Just google Fulton Armory and it'll take you to their site.
I haven't seen any good 1903 or 03A3's come out of the CMP in years. Most that trickle through now are cerimonial VFW turn ins. I think the chances of the CMP getting in a good 03 Springfield is pretty slim.
I live about 2 1/2 hours from Camp Perry and have shot some service rifle matches and the 1000 yard matches with my Garand although none recently. I did just get back Sunday from Camp Perry and shooting in the service pistol matches. The CMP's north store is at Camp Perry and they had a lot of nice Garand rifles for sale. I picked up some ammo and two Krag parts rifles from them.

Latest posts