off to market

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Calf prices down here are as low as the 60's - in cents per pound for 400 pound weanlings. I've called around for a couple of weeks, sat in a few auctions. Tomorrow the Ford gets hooked up and we go calf shopping. Ryegrass has gotten rain, plenty of hay, time to add some calves. I'll likely buy heifers, just in case any of them turn out looking nice in the spring. So if the price tanks any more, I hope it corrects itself by spring.

Anyone else buying while the price is low???

I bought cows the last few weeks and several 200-300lb calves. Each week I think I got a bargin but each week they get cheaper. I bought 10 cows with 6 calves last Friday and then watched the sale at Knoxville TN tonight and they were at least 100 cheaper today. At least I am in it for the long haul so maybe they will be better by next year.

I'm like both of you, I haven't bought any but if I had the grass or extra hay, It's definatly a buyers market. I hope things will get better, and feel sure it will be somewhat better in the spring. It's just sad that many are having to practically give them away these days to make ends meet, {and hope that ends do meet}. It's sad, but the name of the game is taking advantage of another's misfortunes with this market. Good luck.

Buckwheat

buckwheat":2xdro87g said:
It's sad, but the name of the game is taking advantage of another's misfortunes with this market. Good luck. Buckwheat

Most of the calves that we're seeing here are late calves that people just don't want to carry over for the winter. Most of the serious calf selling finished in October for this year.

I guess it applies to all things - but the old saying of buying when everyone else sells, and selling when everyone else buys (meant for the stock market) seems to fit.

I suspect you will make money on them. I think the cow herd is shrinking in a big way and the old law of supply and demand has to catch up sometime.
The only sticker is if this darned economy doesn't turn around? If a lot of people are out of work/broke I doubt if they will be tucking into a tasty steak? Maybe kraft dinner or even a soup line!
I hope those boys at the treasury and the fed know what they are doing? I'm not really keen on going through a great depression like my old Dad did.

The price spread from steers to heifers is running around 10-15 cents here right now. I sold most of my steers, but the heifers are going to stay. I need to keep a bunch of replacements, and I'm feeding out heifers that don't make the cut. The way feed prices are dropping it looks like I can make a little money on that end.

What are you looking for Cypress? I have been buying. Went to the sale last week and anything female with ear was still sky high. Angus looking cattle and crosses are cheap. There's plenty of them too.

cypressfarms":1kbo8gyl said:
Calf prices down here are as low as the 60's - in cents per pound for 400 pound weanlings. I've called around for a couple of weeks, sat in a few auctions. Tomorrow the Ford gets hooked up and we go calf shopping. Ryegrass has gotten rain, plenty of hay, time to add some calves. I'll likely buy heifers, just in case any of them turn out looking nice in the spring. So if the price tanks any more, I hope it corrects itself by spring.

Anyone else buying while the price is low???

I am holding a bunch of 6 month old .

Well I just got back from the auction. I was able to get a pretty consistant group of heifers from the same farmer. All are between 500 to 600 pounds. I'll post pictures later to see if anyone can "guess the cross". They are crossbreds, but they all are really nice stout (wide heifers). I'll be able to breed them this coming spring. The good thing is that of the trailer full that I bought, only one was over $400 at $414. The lowest was actually $311. That's almost highway robbery. I know the farmer had to be unhappy with the results - but around here if you play with anything besdies black, you run the risk of getting burnt. Really cut rate prices. One of the heifers sold for .64 cents per pound. These are not runts or mutts, but stout nice looking heifers. The only thing that was selling for good prices were solid black angus/brangus heifers in the 600 pound range, and really small black steers/heifers. All in all I couldn't be happier. Although the cross I picked is somewhat new for me, I'm looking forward to it. They should perform well with my black bulls.

BC":1f6hw4f1 said:
What sale barn did you attend? I have heard they have been having some big runs at Coushatta.

Mansura - almost in Marksville. They had a huge offering of calves. I wish I would have had more money, I'd bought more. Like I had mentioned, calves weighing 500 to 600 pounds were bringing dollar wise almost the same as 3 weights. Very strange indeed. 3 weight angus/brangus' were bringing as high as 1.00 to 1.25. The 6 weights were bringing in the 60's. Had some nice black baldies go through, but I couldn't justify spending 20 cents/pound more. Same with the angus/brangus heifers. They were all comparitively high to the other colored calves. They sold many red, white, and yellow calves (hereford,braford, charolais and many other crossbreds) at dirt cheap prices. For a 600 lb. "fancy" looking heifer to bring $414 seems like a bargain. I'll keep em over the winter and breed them in the spring to my Angus plus bull.

Last week I took the grandson to the sale to see how the steers looked...ended up bringing home a yearling Herf heifer for $520.00, a 6mo bred Angus heifer for $540.00 and got in a bid war and bought a real nice 820# Angus steer for .84/cwt. I know, but he is a nice animal.
Expect to go shopping again mid Dec.
DMc

Latest posts