OFF SHORE DRILLING

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
On this mornings news, President Bush said he would sign a bill allowing off shore drilling. How will this help the U.S. if we send this oil out of this country? Why drill it if we are not going to keep it for USA use only. Will some one explain.Tom :cboy:

Well it definitely would eventually effect the supply. Regardless of where it goes supply and demand should eventually come into play. Increased conservation on our part would also increase supply some. You can think Mr. Clinton for the moratorium on drilling....Don't worry too much about it tho......Nancy Pelosi and her gang ain't gonna let it happen.

kerley":3hdz6m2r said:
On this mornings news, President Bush said he would sign a bill allowing off shore drilling. How will this help the U.S. if we send this oil out of this country? Why drill it if we are not going to keep it for USA use only. Will some one explain.Tom :cboy:

I missed something. You have a link to a news item about the oil going to a place outside of US?

I don't have a link but right now most of the oil out of Alaska goes to Japan or other far east countries. Think about the size of that Alaskan pipeline. There is only one small refinery in Washington, none that I know of in Oregon, and a tank load of oil pulling into port in California....... well that would be an environmental disaster.

If the government wants to tax something they should put a tax on any American oil that leaves the country.

OK, here's a little background on U.S. drilling bans so we don't go around blaming the wrong people for the wrong things. Congress established a moratorium on offshore drilling in 1981 and it has been renewed every year since. In 1990, the first President Bush signed an executive order banning offshore drilling untill 2002. In 1998, President Clinton extended it until 2012. President Bush rescinded that order a couple of days ago. Congress passed a law to allow drilling in ANWR in 1996, but it was vetoed by President Clinton.

The ball is now clearly in Congress' court. Polls show that a majority of Americans favor offshore drilling and drilling in ANWR, although we all know that quite often polls aren't all that accurate. This being an election year it'll be interesting to see how Congress responds.

VanC":2fzpokxq said:
This being an election year it'll be interesting to see how Congress responds.

Good post.

We will sink more wells. In the end oil will not be the answer.

Well heck yeah, Bush rescinded it. He and his cohorts got us all scared to death of $4-$5 a gallon gasoline and screaming for relief. Sooooooo, now is the time to make hay while the sun shines...and get what big oil wanted all along, off shore drilling...with financially strapped citizens backing. US citizens have been played for fools. And, I'll stop now... :secret: :secret: :secret: :secret: Grrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :mad: :mad:

My 2 cents and nothin' more!

Alice

Wewild":giw42or1 said:
VanC":giw42or1 said:
This being an election year it'll be interesting to see how Congress responds.

Good post.

We will sink more wells. In the end oil will not be the answer.

Believe it or not, Wewild, I agree with you. Water will be the answer!

Alice

VanC":2qx3jsmh said:
The ball is now clearly in Congress' court. Polls show that a majority of Americans favor offshore drilling and drilling in ANWR, although we all know that quite often polls aren't all that accurate. This being an election year it'll be interesting to see how Congress responds.

My Congressional District (Indiana 9th) is heavily contested. 2008 is the fourth consecutive race between the same two candidates. So far, the D is up 2-1, and the D is the incumbent. The R is already running an ad lambasting the D for his votes on drilling.

We will see if ithat sells.

Personally, I hope the scales tip toward drilling. "They" say it won't help for ten years, which is the same thing "they" said ten years ago. I think I owe Jay Leno for that quote.

Oil is the answer now. I hope we find a way to run the world on pure white light, or cold fusion, but you have to survive the short run to see the promised land.

Alice":t5iwx9ul said:
Well heck yeah, Bush rescinded it. He and his cohorts got us all scared to death of $4-$5 a gallon gasoline and screaming for relief. Sooooooo, now is the time to make hay while the sun shines...and get what big oil wanted all along, off shore drilling...with financially strapped citizens backing. US citizens have been played for fools. And, I'll stop now... :secret: :secret: :secret: :secret: Grrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alice

Thanks for turning this into another Bush and Big Oil bashing party. How trite. Of course you could be right. After all, a man who would conjure up a hurricane to kill poor, black people would surely be capable of conspiring to raise the price of gasoline so he and his "cohorts", whatever that means, could get what they've wanted all along.

Anyway, and I'll try to make this as simple as possible, the point of my previous post is this: According to the last poll I saw, 67% of Americans want offshore drilling and 64% think it will lower the price at the pump. Whether they are right or wrong is not the point. The point is whether Congress, most of whom really don't want offshore drilling, and most of whom hate President Bush, will stick by their guns or cave in to public opinion during an election year.

The Oil drilled for in the OCS will not make a change in the supply and demand because by the time it is produced with the current rate oil is needed... We will be paying around $200 dollars/Barrel... I work as a drilling engineer for a large oil company and even though I welcome the work..... I hate the situation our goverment has gotten us into, the politicians have been saying the same things since late 70's..... I personally wish they would mass produce vehicles to run off compressed natural gas.... Even though we would still have to drill for it, and it is also high..... there is enough natural gas under texas, oklahoma, arkansas, to support the country for quite some time with no dependency on any other country..... Atleast that way we would not be shipping all of our hard earned money to the saudi's and killing our economy...Some drastic measure like this is the only thing that will make those greedy bass turds correct the price of oil....... F.Y. I. At a recent conference I listened to an oil man tell me they were producing oil on average where they were drilling at about 5$ per barrel( Northern Alaska) Something doesn't add UP?????????????

VanC":78y24hxf said:
Alice":78y24hxf said:

Alice

Thanks for turning this into another Bush and Big Oil bashing party. How trite. Of course you could be right. After all, a man who would conjure up a hurricane to kill poor, black people would surely be capable of conspiring to raise the price of gasoline so he and his "cohorts", whatever that means, could get what they've wanted all along.

Anyway, and I'll try to make this as simple as possible, the point of my previous post is this: According to the last poll I saw, 67% of Americans want offshore drilling and 64% think it will lower the price at the pump. Whether they are right or wrong is not the point. The point is whether Congress, most of whom really don't want offshore drilling, and most of whom hate President Bush, will stick by their guns or cave in to public opinion during an election year.

Whoa, Van. It's been a long time since I took a direct shot at Bush...give me a break, will ya'? Or don't. Now, you're talking about most of Congress hating Bush. Right now, try most of the US and the rest of the world. But, I digress. Why now! Why now! Why now does he want to lift the ban on offshore drilling? What was wrong with last year, or especially, what was wrong when the Democrats didn't control the house and senate, such as that control is, or isn't.

The whole political climate is a disaster. Right now I equate politics with &*()_(*&^, which said politics, Republican and Democrat, as well as the :secret: :secret: has taken our country to hell in a hand basket and I don't think we'll be able to recover. Personally, right now I'm in mourning... :mad:

Alice

Alice":37vftqnz said:
VanC":37vftqnz said:
Alice":37vftqnz said:

Alice

Whoa, Van. It's been a long time since I took a direct shot at Bush...give me a break, will ya'? Or don't. Now, you're talking about most of Congress hating Bush. Right now, try most of the US and the rest of the world. But, I digress. Why now! Why now! Why now does he want to lift the ban on offshore drilling? What was wrong with last year, or especially, what was wrong when the Democrats didn't control the house and senate, such as that control is, or isn't.

The whole political climate is a disaster. Right now I equate politics with &*()_(*&^, which said politics, Republican and Democrat, as well as the :secret: :secret: has taken our country to be nice in a hand basket and I don't think we'll be able to recover. Personally, right now I'm in mourning... :mad:

Alice

Bush was trying a Clinton tactic by not lifting the ban right away. He originally said he would lift the ban if congress passed a bill first. Congress didn't pass the bill and everyone asked why Bush didn't lift the executive ban. Bush wanted to wait and see if congress would lift the ban first. If congress didn't lift the ban and Obama won the election. Obama would have to lift the ban (and take flake from all the enviromentalist) or take flake from the rest of the country for not lifting it. It was all politics.

Why now? Why now? Would you rather wait till gas is $10 a gallon? The whole world is scrambling to pump as much oil as they can. This is the only country that won't do it. Why do you think congress doesn't want to drill right now? Its all about who is going to get the credit. The democrats have fought Bush tooth and nail his whole presidency. Dems have been screaming. "We are losing the war". "Our troops are not equiped properly". "We don't have enough troops there". "We have too many troops there". "Troops are their too long". "We need to pull the troops out". They make me sick!

Walt

Alice":afgfmdjk said:

The whole political climate is a disaster. Right now I equate politics with &*()_(*&^, which said politics, Republican and Democrat, as well as the :secret: :secret: has taken our country to be nice in a hand basket and I don't think we'll be able to recover. Personally, right now I'm in mourning... :mad:

Alice

All else aside, I really don't think most of the country hates President Bush. At least I hope not. His approval ratings are very low, but that doesn't mean most people hate him. Heck, I work with a couple of people who I'd fire in a heartbeat if it were up to me, but that doesn't mean I hate them. As for the rest of the world, I think it goes back to something I've seen all my life: Weak people don't like strong people. I'm not talking about physical strength or weakness. I'm talking about character and the strength to stand by your convictions. Those that don't have it don't usually like those that do.

You're right about the political climate. It's terrible. Part of that is the media, part of it is the politicians themselves, and part of it is us. Heck, Congress has lower approval ratings than the president, yet we keep sending the same ones back year after year. What's that about? I wish we could get term limits for 'em, but since a constitutional amendment to do so would have to start in Congress, it ain't gonna happen. I'm afraid it's going to take a major catastrophe of some sort to really shake things up. It won't be pretty.

Anyway, I've enjoyed our little exchange and, as always, no hard feelings. I'm up way past my bedtime so I'm gonna hit the sack. Have a good night.

Kerley wrote: Why drill it if we are not going to keep it for USA use only. Will some one explain.Tom

What you have to keep in mind is this is a world market, just like corn; for example:

Lets say you are tired of buying high priced corn to feed out your cattle and lets say your neighbor raises corn. Do you really think he is going to sell his corn to you @ $2.25/ bu. just because he is your neighbor and lives in your county (or country). No, he is going to sell it at the market price. And where the corn you buy is grown is irrelevant. Once corn is in the system, its all the same, whether it was grown in IL or CA. Oil is no different. It really doesn't matter where the oil goes once it is out of the ground; its now part of the supply entering the oil system. That being said; every barrel of oil entering the system, lowers the price. (Just like corn.)

Unless you have drilled your own oil well and can refine it to gasoline yourself, you are not going to have $2.25/gal. gas when the world market price is where it is today.

I hope this helped a little.

Tommy Ruyle":1i5ezjgu said:
Kerley wrote: Why drill it if we are not going to keep it for USA use only. Will some one explain.Tom

What you have to keep in mind is this is a world market, just like corn; for example:

Lets say you are tired of buying high priced corn to feed out your cattle and lets say your neighbor raises corn. Do you really think he is going to sell his corn to you @ $2.25/ bu. just because he is your neighbor and lives in your county (or country). No, he is going to sell it at the market price. And where the corn you buy is grown is irrelevant. Once corn is in the system, its all the same, whether it was grown in IL or CA. Oil is no different. It really doesn't matter where the oil goes once it is out of the ground; its now part of the supply entering the oil system. That being said; every barrel of oil entering the system, lowers the price. (Just like corn.)

Unless you have drilled your own oil well and can refine it to gasoline yourself, you are not going to have $2.25/gal. gas when the world market price is where it is today.

Tommy Ruyle":1i5ezjgu said:

Minus shipping. Where the oil is pumped will partly dictate where it will go. It all goes to the highest bidder minus shipping and handling. :D

Walt

Alice":3q096gpj said:

Alice

Alice, Alice, Alice. What to do? What to do? Continue setting on our "donkeys"? Yea that will work as long as someone keeps putting oats in the feed bag. It has taken more than a republican president to get us where we are today and it will take more than a republican president to fix it. The Senate, Legislature, and Judicial branches all reak with a stench of "what's in it for me". Ordinary citizens are as much at fault for allowing it happen. As far as Bush and his cohorts getting us all scared to death of $4-$5 a gallon gasoline, I belive that is done by the precious, know-it-all, holier than thou, "unbiased" media. Listen to them long enough and you become brainwashed into believing their bull fertilizer.

And, I'll stop now... :secret: :secret: :secret: :secret: Grrrrrrrrrrr! :mad: :mad: :mad: (plagiarized)

But I can afford only a penny for my thoughts, as the other will have to be used to pay the taxes to feed the donkeys. :(

At the rate feed is going up for the animals, I believe gas is cheaper :mad:
Lamb feed last week 6.50 a bag............This week 16.00. What the fork happened here :shock: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: etc. etc. etc.

I'm not going to knock "big oil" as some call it. Yep they make big profits...their stockholders expect them to. That's what they pay them to do. Cost have skyrocketed for them as well. Cost several million dollars to drill one little well with no guarantee of any payback. Big risk...big reward..or big loss.... Will drilling make a difference...absolutely. A well can be drilled and be put online in less than a month if they really push it..But then it has to be refined...meet all the gov't regs.....is American oil exported?? Some to Canada where it is refined and comes back into the US....some to Puerto Rico. That's it...

The first thing is that they need to start calling this by the right name. It is not a ban on OFFSHORE DRILLING. It is a ban on the UNITED STATES off shore drilling. Every other country in the world can come and drill there. China is building what is supposed to be the worlds largest drilling platform there right now. Russia is planning on building and so are other countries. I get sick and tired of these people arguing whether or not there should be drilling and they dont want it to affect Florida's beaches. The United States has no say in whether there is offshore drilling. There is offshore drilling now and there will be alot more in the future. The question is whether or not the UNITED STATES will be doing it or whether it will just be other countries with only their own safeguards, if any. On the news, it is always discussed from the question of whether there should be drilling or not. Why are people not discussing that this ONLY affects whether or not the United States will have the use of the oil along our coastlines?

Latest posts