OFF SHORE DRILLING

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky":3dckte60 said:
The first thing is that they need to start calling this by the right name. It is not a ban on OFFSHORE DRILLING. It is a ban on the UNITED STATES off shore drilling. Every other country in the world can come and drill there. China is building what is supposed to be the worlds largest drilling platform there right now. Russia is planning on building and so are other countries. I get sick and tired of these people arguing whether or not there should be drilling and they dont want it to affect Florida's beaches. The United States has no say in whether there is offshore drilling. There is offshore drilling now and there will be alot more in the future. The question is whether or not the UNITED STATES will be doing it or whether it will just be other countries with only their own safeguards, if any. On the news, it is always discussed from the question of whether there should be drilling or not. Why are people not discussing that this ONLY affects whether or not the United States will have the use of the oil along our coastlines?

Y'know, environmentalists and animal welfare types aren't real good about unintended consequences.
Ban horse slaughter in the US and increase horse slaughter (same horses) in Mexico--with no humane standards. Ban drilling offshore, and China is free to raid our cookie jar. I'd like to see US platforms out there, subject to US environmental law rather than Chinese.

Txwalt":1xaqz71l said:
It all goes to the highest bidder minus shipping and handling. :D

Walt

After it has been through the speculators hands.

IMO, The best thing citizens can do, is vote every single incumbant out of office, that would send them the message that we are tired of their crap. They work for us, we pay them, they do not have a god given right to be there like so many think. I will vote for a rabid dog this year before I will vote for anyone that is in office now, Washington needs a TOTAL housecleaning. We need term limits, and they are not going to pass them because they are too busy feeding at the public trough. :mad: If there isnt a rabid dog running, then for petes sake write him in , get a truck driver to run , anything. If people would quit voting for their personal agendas, we would be better off, but it aint gonna happen. This country is in the toilet morally AND economically and and common sense is at an all time low, I better stop now.

I heard a broadcast on the radio with some of the "experts" in the area of energy. They said 5 years before your see any oil and seven years before there is ANY trickle down effect. I would rather see us spend those seven years getting serious about alternate energy so we not as dependent on other countries for this.

They also mentioned that in that seven years "other countries" will rip us so bad that our own oil will only drop prices at the pump a few cents because our suppliers will want the max for their product also.

I'm not sure what the answer is but something needs to be done.

flaboy":3mb9qeb6 said:
I heard a broadcast on the radio with some of the "experts" in the area of energy. They said 5 years before your see any oil and seven years before there is ANY trickle down effect. I would rather see us spend those seven years getting serious about alternate energy so we not as dependent on other countries for this.

They also mentioned that in that seven years "other countries" will rip us so bad that our own oil will only drop prices at the pump a few cents because our suppliers will want the max for their product also.

I'm not sure what the answer is but something needs to be done.
The point is...you have to start somewhere, sometime....we're been putting it off long enough while tinkering with alternatives for this and that....then "this and that" is regulated out of everyone's budgety so it folds up as well. Anybody know how many drilling rigs exist in the US?? Each can drill a well a month "on shore" and the oil is there. Many small trickles turn into a river eventually.

TB, I think a lot of them were cut up for scrap iron and sent to China when oil hit $10.00 a few years ago. Also during this time is when the EPA demanded that all wells no longer in production be plugged. $10.00 oil meant a lot of marginal wells were plugged because they were not profitable to operate. However, I shouldn't complain about that as it got us out of an old lease and into a better one.

It would by my assumption that the rigs that are left are already busy drilling. Marshall and Assoicates has been hired by Clatyon Williams Energy to do 3-D geoghysical survey in Burleson and Milam counties, so with some of the newer technologies, activity in the older fields may start to pick back up.

http://www.wtrg.com/rotaryrigs.html

Vet..have heard of a lot of the lower producing wells in East Texas being worked over and put back into production...that as well as new production in other areas. I know in 5 years the O&G companies have punched many thousands of gas wells in the Barnett Shale Formation alone in Texas and production has gone from zero to many billions of cubic feet per month. Seems the same could be done with oil whether on shore, off shore, oil sand, oil shale, North Slope or ANWR. Fact is we gotta start........

Tommy Ruyle":2nb8ewik said:
Kerley wrote: Why drill it if we are not going to keep it for USA use only. Will some one explain.Tom

What you have to keep in mind is this is a world market, just like corn; for example:

Lets say you are tired of buying high priced corn to feed out your cattle and lets say your neighbor raises corn. Do you really think he is going to sell his corn to you @ $2.25/ bu. just because he is your neighbor and lives in your county (or country). No, he is going to sell it at the market price. And where the corn you buy is grown is irrelevant. Once corn is in the system, its all the same, whether it was grown in IL or CA. Oil is no different. It really doesn't matter where the oil goes once it is out of the ground; its now part of the supply entering the oil system. That being said; every barrel of oil entering the system, lowers the price. (Just like corn.)

Unless you have drilled your own oil well and can refine it to gasoline yourself, you are not going to have $2.25/gal. gas when the world market price is where it is today.

I hope this helped a little.

Not entirely true. I saw on the news the other day where people in the middle east (I forget which country) were buying gas for almost nothing. I don't rember exactly, but it was something like 50 cents U.S. per gallon. Much of the oil off the coast of Alaska belongs to "We the People". If we say drill it, drill it. If we say sell it to us at cost, then sell it to us at cost. Politicians of all parties tend to forget that they are representing "We the People". Until we demand that they do, "or else", nothing will get better.

dyates":37y48l7j said:
Tommy Ruyle":37y48l7j said:
Kerley wrote: Why drill it if we are not going to keep it for USA use only. Will some one explain.Tom

What you have to keep in mind is this is a world market, just like corn; for example:

Lets say you are tired of buying high priced corn to feed out your cattle and lets say your neighbor raises corn. Do you really think he is going to sell his corn to you @ $2.25/ bu. just because he is your neighbor and lives in your county (or country). No, he is going to sell it at the market price. And where the corn you buy is grown is irrelevant. Once corn is in the system, its all the same, whether it was grown in IL or CA. Oil is no different. It really doesn't matter where the oil goes once it is out of the ground; its now part of the supply entering the oil system. That being said; every barrel of oil entering the system, lowers the price. (Just like corn.)

Unless you have drilled your own oil well and can refine it to gasoline yourself, you are not going to have $2.25/gal. gas when the world market price is where it is today.

Not entirely true. I saw on the news the other day where people in the middle east (I forget which country) were buying gas for almost nothing. I don't rember exactly, but it was something like 50 cents U.S. per gallon. Much of the oil off the coast of Alaska belongs to "We the People". If we say drill it, drill it. If we say sell it to us at cost, then sell it to us at cost. Politicians of all parties tend to forget that they are representing "We the People". Until we demand that they do, "or else", nothing will get better.

I don't think anyone should ever demand someone sell something at cost in this country. That goes against everything this country stands for.

Walt

dyates":1e7wtvwq said:
Tommy Ruyle":1e7wtvwq said:

By golly I think you are right! I say we start a major campaign to make you go to Alaska brill for the oil and transport it at cost. You sound like the perfect person for the job, since this is what you believe in already. But Lord help you if you make one cent off of the deal, we will put you away for ever.

dyates":16r7zi2p said:
...I saw on the news the other day where people in the middle east (I forget which country) were buying gas for almost nothing. I don't rember exactly, but it was something like 50 cents U.S. per gallon....
I would rather continue paying $4.00/gal rather than give up the freedom to live as I please (as long as it meets the approval of certain persons :roll: ) than to be able to buy $.50 gas. ;-)

Ok, I guess I came off wrong. Not trying to trample free enterprise. I'm just saying that the majority of Alaska belongs to the federal government---aka you and I. Seems like if the government is really representing the people and the majority of people want to drill, then we should drill.

Would someone please inform congress that all the "gov't lands and minerals contained under them" belong to "we the people" and is not their private preserve.

Dang, the mere mention of opening up drilling offshore has dropped the price of crude $10 as of this afternoon. Now how come diesel at the pump hasn't dropped $.20/gallon like it went up when the price of crude went up?

Earl Thigpen":oh90wapp said:
Dang, the mere mention of opening up drilling offshore has dropped the price of crude $10 as of this afternoon. Now how come diesel at the pump hasn't dropped $.20/gallon like it went up when the price of crude went up?
Because the $135 oil is at the pump now and the $145 oil is still at the refinerys. The $129 oil is still setting in a tank somewhere.

Basically, the demand for crude is just beginning to show some decline, has the speculators heading for the exit like two brafords out the gate. Patience Earl, patience.

i also work for bi oil. we had a meeting yesterday morning so they could explain to us why prices where where they were at and when the public asked we could explain it to them. they told us that it cost them 32 cents a gallon to produce gasoline. Even with the tax the goverment has on it the numbers do not add up. somthing that cost .32 to produce shouldnt cost 4.50 a gallon. they also told us that the majority of the oil the us imports in from canada. true, i dont know. i work in the natural gas side of it. the whole thing is out of hand and it got that way because of our goverment. it doesnt matter which party you belong to. they are both at fault. yes drilling will help as long as the oil is required to stay in this country. the goverment is also going to have to allow more refineries to be built to produce the supply we need. right now if a refinery hickups we get a price increase. they also tried to tell us that the majorty thier huge profits are not from gasoline sales. guess they thought we were born yesterday. they think if they can convince us we will help convince the public. get rid of the two party system, kick all the aholes out and set it up to where no one is there long enough to promote thier self interests. the country is headed into a down hill slide fast and we as a country need to apply the breaks before this turns into a civil war and we have to start over again. dont know about the rest of you but im not looking forward to becoming a third world country and people its going to happen if we stay on our current course. im thru rambling now, you can send the wagon with the soft walls to pick me up!
Greg

Red Headed Farmer":1391ix0z said:
... get rid of the two party system, kick all the aholes out....
Sounds like Maxine Waters wants to take over more than the oil companies. :shock:

Red Headed Farmer":1391ix0z said:
...they told us that it cost them 32 cents a gallon to produce gasoline...

Would have to see the spreadsheet before I believe that. But since a loaf of bread has only about 2 - 3 cents worth of grain in it and sells for $2 - $3 figures could be about right.

1982vett":2rryoagi said:
Earl Thigpen":2rryoagi said:
Because the $135 oil is at the pump now and the $145 oil is still at the refinerys. The $129 oil is still setting in a tank somewhere.

Basically, the demand for crude is just beginning to show some decline, has the speculators heading for the exit like two brafords out the gate. Patience Earl, patience.

I'm at the point like the two two buzzards sittin on the hi line. One buzzard says to the other, "I'm tired of waitin' for something to die. I'm gonna go out and kill something" :)

Latest posts