Of course it would.........

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire":1plwa07i said:
1982vett":1plwa07i said:
Cause they couldn't stomach the buy and hold and had no idea what so ever the administration "change" would be.

Yeah, I jumped ship with a good portion of mine September 29, 2008 but by mid October 2008 I was putting it back in and had it all back in by March. Been adding to bonds and stocks ever since. Down to trickles now as we are approaching auto-pilot mode and will start accumulating cash again.

Guess what happened 80 years ago from tomorrow.

The sun came up in the morning and set in the afternoon? ;-)

grannysoo":v5wkz8j8 said:
1982vett":v5wkz8j8 said:
Cause they couldn't stomach the buy and hold and had no idea what so ever the administration "change" would be.

Yeah, I jumped ship with a good portion of mine September 29, 2008 but by mid October 2008 I was putting it back in and had it all back in by March. Been adding to bonds and stocks ever since. Down to trickles now as we are approaching auto-pilot mode and will start accumulating cash again.

Is cash king again?

Will be for a little while. I want to save some to spend next year. :)

On something besides bills that is. :nod:

1982vett":2v9libyg said:
HerefordSire":2v9libyg said:
1982vett":2v9libyg said:

No. Guess again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know what you are getting at.

I still say the sun came up in the morning and sat in the evening. Pretty much all that really matters.

I hear you. It never works out to the exact day anyway. Seems like they always miss by a couple of days or a week. But, there is allot of truth to cycles. Some are more prominent than others. As a rule, I try to never buy in October until after a crash because of the odds. Then I can time the play to the January effect on the 10th.

Yep, I agree on cycles. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. My observation, much as yours is a mid October slump wich can turn into some strength by the end of November. Again, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Me thinks (hopes) this selloff is mutual funds and hedge funds locking in gains plus momentum shorts hopping on for a ride. I think the "so called leaders" have already learned to not screw with market even though they may be leaning on it pretty hard again. Just my opinion. :)

I've got my asset allocation pretty much where it want it. Right now it's 47/40/13. Shooting for 49/36/15.

1982vett":4q6lk08g said:
Yep, I agree on cycles. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. My observation, much as yours is a mid October slump wich can turn into some strength by the end of November. Again, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Me thinks (hopes) this selloff is mutual funds and hedge funds locking in gains plus momentum shorts hopping on for a ride. I think the "so called leaders" have already learned to not screw with market even though they may be leaning on it pretty hard again. Just my opinion. :)

I've got my asset allocation pretty much where it want it. Right now it's 47/40/13. Shooting for 49/36/15.

Mine is 0/0/100 (if the first is equity percentage and the last is cash)

After crash will be 100/0/0

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Once I hit a lick I can risk a little if acting after a crash.

No room for error.

That's cool. It is what works for you. I just hate having to be right all the time. I don't have that kind of touch.

1982vett":uy7f009w said:

"Spread the wealth" too. Then there were those statements about me not being able to manage my retirement accounts Nancy made. (and exactly who was it that spent all the Social Security money all these years?)

So, like you, I bailed out. Everything. Thankfully. It is in interest bearing accounts not gaining much, but I didn't lose half of it like some. I've been buying with my 401K with holdings every week but have not put the mother load back in funds.

I've been buying land with my personal money. It gives me some diversity.

The land thing would be nice if I were 30 years younger but of course I didn't have the resources then. Doesn't really make sense for myself now.

It doesn't make much sense for me either. I was already spread out. Mostly it is a curb for double digit inflation and 4.4% interest is losing money in my opinion.

HerefordSire":2x8pzr2j said:
1982vett":2x8pzr2j said:
HerefordSire":2x8pzr2j said:

No. Guess again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now see, no disasters today.

Now tomorrow might be a total different story...Have to live that day when it gets here. :p

Don't go overboard on the land purchasing unless it's income producing. Got a good friend right now that's worth many millions (pasture and farm land) but is "cash broke". Lots of his land is listed for sale but not moving. Couldn't even pay his FIT on time this year.

I am a believer in Dave Ramseys method, you just keep putting it in Mutual funds month after month for the long haul. I will get more skeptical as I get close to retirement. But for now shares go down in price but when it is down super low like it was a few months ago you are getting bargains to buy and get more shares for your money, so when the price goes up you gain the money you lost but you make a killing on the shares you bought when it was low. It all cost averages out in the end.

I know Backhoe did good getting out when he did but if I tried that I would lose then get back in and then it would go down. Rarely can you time the market, the money is to be made when you stay in for the long run and cost average everything.

aplusmnt":24ry00zc said:
I am a believer in Dave Ramseys method, you just keep putting it in Mutual funds month after month for the long haul. I will get more skeptical as I get close to retirement. But for now shares go down in price but when it is down super low like it was a few months ago you are getting bargains to buy and get more shares for your money, so when the price goes up you gain the money you lost but you make a killing on the shares you bought when it was low. It all cost averages out in the end.

I know Backhoe did good getting out when he did but if I tried that I would lose then get back in and then it would go down. Rarely can you time the market, the money is to be made when you stay in for the long run and cost average everything.

Excellent, excellent Aplus...but sometimes we invest like we handle our cattle.....sell when they're cheap and can't wait to get back in when the price starts going up. :lol2: :lol2:

1982vett":rcjvwdb4 said:
Easy come, easy go. :)

Not enough people have drank the koolaide yet. Some need a little more coaxing than others. People like to buy high, not low. By releasing the strong GDP numbers, many went flying head first, but not enough yet. You will know when enough is enough. Place your hand on your heart beat. If it pounds more than 200 times per minute, then it is getting close to time.

HerefordSire":1lou4q8k said:
Do not believe the hype....

saupload_us_retail_sales.jpg

saupload_vix10_09.png

http://seekingalpha.com/article/168913- ... shing-down

Look at the above VIX chart, then read the hot off the wire headlines.
Dow Down Over 200; VIX Pops Above 30

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33552220

HerefordSire":1espbpky said:
1982vett":1espbpky said:
Easy come, easy go. :)

Not enough people have drank the koolaide yet. Some need a little more coaxing than others. People like to buy high, not low. By releasing the strong GDP numbers, many went flying head first, but not enough yet. You will know when enough is enough. Place your hand on your heart beat. If it pounds more than 200 times per minute, then it is getting close to time.

Kinda like horses. Nobody wants a $300 dollar horse.....but price the same ol' hoss at $1000 and you'll sell him in no time.

Latest posts