NWSG presentation in Luray VA

Help Support CattleToday:

dave_shelby

Reaction score
Its late notice and in a busy season, but there is a NWSG presentation and walk tomorrow at 1917 Kauffmans Mill Road, Luray, VA, 22835. Its put on by Virginia Working Landscapes - so expect some Hillary/Bern bumper stickers, The speakers, however, are excellent - Pat Keyser from UTK and Ben Tracy from Virginia Tech.

http://www.vaworkinglandscapes.org/even ... -field-day

I went Friday evening, but due to thunderstorms wasn't able to do the pasture walk. It also made it hard to hear because the talk was given in a barn with metal roof. Ben's voice did not carry well so I missed most everything he said.

What did I learn? I have not had any experience with NWSGs so some this may or may not be new

1. NWSGs can be very productive. While switchgrass puts the most mass out, the best gains come from eastern gamagrass. One slide had, I believe, an ADG of 2.8 pounds over the 110 days on a mixture of indiangrass and gamagrass.

2. NWSGs are low input. They can thrive in poor soils, and need little N. Pat showed some slide from an ag economist and the best grass for cost was gamagrass, far outstripping any cool weather grass. They are running tests on tailings from coal mines and the NWSGs are thriving on them.

3. Good summer production and drought tolerance. Gamagrass and indiangrass has a nice flat growth curve throughout the summer. Roots can extend 10+ feet.

3. I dont care what Pat claims but converting to NWSGs is difficult and expensive A couple burn downs starting the late summer the year before planting. The first years growth comes slowly at first without many options for chemical help. Ben Tracy did mention that he had someone lightly graze the second year, but the grasses are really online until 2+ years.

4. Management is important. It cannot be grazed under 12-14 inches. On the other hand, they - and particularly switchgrass - have "bodacious" (his words) growth in spring that you have to keep ahead of by either grazing or cutting. Grazing pressure keeps grasses nutritious, and in the long run The UT is doing tests on a management scheme in Nebraska, however, where cattle are brought into a quarter with a mix of NWSG in the spring, then half are removed and the remainder graze until fall. This appears to have both good ADG and persistence of grasses, but its still early to judge.

Interesting subject. I have a summer grass growing here that the NRCS identified as Caucasian Bluestem. It seems to grow up where the cools season grasses are thinner or are going dormant. Cows like it fine, its probably a foot tall or more and really thick in places, its a bunch grass.
It seems to fit into my long rotation schedule, in a few weeks it will start heading out and become less palatable. I have learned to not clip it at that point and let it slow down and mature in late summer, then the fescue will break dormancy and come up thru it.
In my research of Caucasian Bluestem, some are calling it an invasive grass part of the 'old world bluestems'.
On another place it is not as established and I was wondering if something like Big Bluestem or little bluestem could be interseeded in my pastures to provide summer grazing while letting the cool season grasses come back in the fall and winter?

Thanks for the report. We have some EGG and it helps us during droughts, like right now! The switchgrass is good for grazing the bulls since they are on the tract where it was planted. I wish I had some for the pairs to graze. Different named selections of the EGG have shown to be either good or bad here. I wanted to try some of the Highlander but never got to that. We also tried the OWB and it is way far more inferior than the true native grasses.

dave_shelby":15wm01ao said:
Interesting idea but I dont see how that would work given that the NWSGs need height. Do you have droughty soils?

No. I would just like to have something on the order of Johnson grass without the prussic acid concerns, that would come in every year as the fescue goes dormant. It would be able to gain a lot of height between grazings. I was just thinking about BB or LB may be able to fill that void.