Nursing Cow/Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

We use Cydectin, it is safe for lactating cattle, and those who are nursing. Every bottle should say whether or not it is safe for lactating cows. if you have a specific dewormer, I would call up the customer service line and ask a representative. Most are very helpful and can answer your questions.

CowGirl005":yv4u29xa said:
We use Cydectin, it is safe for lactating cattle, and those who are nursing. Every bottle should say whether or not it is safe for lactating cows. if you have a specific dewormer, I would call up the customer service line and ask a representative. Most are very helpful and can answer your questions.

I'm not aware of any wormers that would be harmful to a cow nursing a calf. Most of the time when the word "lactating" is used it is referring to cattle producing milk for human consumption.

mnmtranching":2vvjfbh4 said:
And what wormers would not be safe?

None that I know of.

Apparently according to a bull customer of mine he's had a few abortions after he sprayed cattle with Triatix for ticks. During the time my dad had the dairy and even recently in a redwater or gallsickness outbreak we used Triatix with no ill effect. I'm pretty sure the abortions was caused by the high fever associated with redwater and gallsickness and not the Triatix. Since I am pretty sure you guys don't have redwater or tick borne gallsickness and thus very likely don't even have Triatix its probably just a bit of useless information.

KNERSIE":2774xyor said:
mnmtranching":2774xyor said:
And what wormers would not be safe?

None that I know of.

Apparently according to a bull customer of mine he's had a few abortions after he sprayed cattle with Triatix for ticks. During the time my dad had the dairy and even recently in a redwater or gallsickness outbreak we used Triatix with no ill effect. I'm pretty sure the abortions was caused by the high fever associated with redwater and gallsickness and not the Triatix. Since I am pretty sure you guys don't have redwater or tick borne gallsickness and thus very likely don't even have Triatix its probably just a bit of useless information.
:lol: :lol: yup, you're right.

Latest posts