numbers on equipment?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how come equipment companies put numbers on the sides of equipment? It seems to me you can't tell horse power or any of the specs from these numbers. I know these numbers are how you can tell them apart. But other than that what is there purpose?

Wick":1kwht61t said:
Can someone tell me how come equipment companies put numbers on the sides of equipment? It seems to me you can't tell horse power or any of the specs from these numbers. I know these numbers are how you can tell them apart. But other than that what is there purpose?
on most all of the tractors made i can look at the numbers on the side an tell you the horsepower.the only 1s that give me probs is the new john deeres.most all of the others tractors i can figure out the horsepower.

On most equipment the numbers will be a size within a series of machine. (example, John Deere the last 2 numbers are the series xx10,xx20,xx30/ the first 2 numbers are the size 62xx,63xx,64xx) So a 6210 is the same size as a 6230 only older while a 6430 is larger than a 6230. Now if that is not confusing enough the numbers mean nothing more than when chevrolet of Ford puts a name like mustang or impalla on the side of a car. A 6430 is neither 64 or 30 HP. I sell them and still have to look at the book. Just a side note be sure you look at the same type of HP when looking at tractors, Being in the ag buisness we have ALWAYS used PTO HP as the actual number.
Now with all the smaller brands trying to gain market they began using engine HP (this will be much larger). Now all mfg are publishing both numbers so compare apples to apples. If you have any doubts just look up the nebrsaka test, it is the standard by which all tractors are rated not just some number a mfg pluckes out of the air.

kubota is the only tractor i can figure out how much hp from the #'s, it ,may be engine hp and not PTO hp.

That's a good question, Wick. I've often wondered that myself. Sure makes it hard when you're trying to figure out how much HP a tractor has.

I know there are sites where you can look up the details based on the model number but I don't carry a computer around in my back pocket when I'm out looking at used tractors.

Earl Thigpen":2k3wuehk said:
That's a good question, Wick. I've often wondered that myself. Sure makes it hard when you're trying to figure out how much HP a tractor has.

I know there are sites where you can look up the details based on the model number but I don't carry a computer around in my back pocket when I'm out looking at used tractors.
I'm with you 100% on the computer in the back pocket. Deere I have never understood either. IH was a mystery to me case never made much sense either. White was a bit easier. AC was easy as well. they displayed pto hp the 200 AC was 100hp, 220 AC was 120 hp, 7000 was next series that was similiar. 7000 AC was 100hp 7020 AC was 120 hp 7030 was 130 and so on. 8000 series was the same 9000 series was the same That was that way all the way until current tractors now the complete number is the pto hp 160 is 160 hp, the 180 is 180 hp, 220 is 220 hp ,225 is 225 hp, then you have CNH, Those tractors are displayed by engine hp the 220 is 220 engine hp 240 is 240 engine hp and so on. The new deere's I have no clue what they mean just numbers I think. Then to ask a JD man what the hp is they always seem to add about 25 hp for good measure. That is why I just write the numbers down and wait until I get home then look it up on Tractordata.

Latest posts