Nuflor and the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
I went to the vet yesterday to pick up some meds.We were talking about this and that. I got a 250cc bottle of Nuflor. He ask me what I was using it for specifically. I told him I occasionally have a calf with a cough and that it usually clears it up in two injections. He said I could increase the dose from 3cc to 6cc for a 100# calf and just give it 1 time and give Sub Q instead of IM. I usually give 4cc wait two days and give another 4cc. He says it will be good for four days and should do as well as the 8cc in 2 injections. If he's right I save 25% on injections. I did give a calf the 6cc dose yesterday, we'll see if he's right. Just thought I'd pass that along.:cboy:

Just bought a bottle last saturday and I believe it does say on the box you can double up on the dosage and give it only once if you like.

Just make sure you do the Sub Q when doubling the dose.

The Vet gave a cow of my Nuflor on Monday I text him and ask if I should continue giving Draxxin and he said he would but didn't answer me when I ask when to give the Draxxin after he gave Nuflor so I don't know how long to wait, does anybody know.

We give Nuflor in double dose if we have a calf or yearling that seems to have a respiratory problem and it always seems to work. The last one I doctored Draxxin didn't work but Nuflor fixed her up in a day.

We give Nuflor in double dose if we have a calf or yearling that seems to have a respiratory problem and it always seems to work. The last one I doctored Draxxin didn't work but Nuflor fixed her up in a day.
The Vet gave her 84cc so I assume he was thinking she weigh 1400 pounds which would be 6 cc per 100 pound, I don't have any Nuflor but he said to give her Draxxin I just don't know how long to wait since he gave her Nuflor on Monday. All I have is LA 300 and Generic Draxxin. I will be given this with a Dart Gun that's why I'm using Draxxin because of the lower dose I can give her.

Last edited:
Vets years ago here recommended giving the 1 double dose (6cc) instead of 2 3cc doses.
A vet explained it to me a few years ago that Nuflor was faster to work than Draxxin. He said Draxxin took longer to act but that it also had a longer lasting effective time than Nuflor.
I don't know about any official time frame from one medication to another,
Right or wrong I've always kind of followed a three day between a follow up treatment unless I've been told specifically otherwise.

The Vet gave her 84cc so I assume he was thinking she weigh 1400 pounds which would be 6 cc per 100 pound, I don't have any Nuflor but he said to give her Draxxin I just don't know how long to wait since he gave her Nuflor on Monday. All I have is LA 300 and Generic Draxxin. I will be given this with a Dart Gun that's why I'm using Draxxin because of the lower dose I can give her.
We keep Draxxin on hand to give with the dart gun, much easier than getting them up. We don't have a good sick pen with power and water so it really better for us to use a dart gun. It's not a huge deal to keep one up if we need to but toting water everyday gets old with busy schedules. A animal/horse stall barn close to the house is next on our list. Maybe next year 😬🙄

We keep Draxxin on hand to give with the dart gun, much easier than getting them up. We don't have a good sick pen with power and water so it really better for us to use a dart gun. It's not a huge deal to keep one up if we need to but toting water everyday gets old with busy schedules. A animal/horse stall barn close to the house is next on our list. Maybe next year 😬🙄
I have a good place to get them up it's just a lot of trouble to get one cow or calf up out of the whole herd when you can take a dart gun and give them med's in the field, saves a lot of time.

I have a good place to get them up it's just a lot of trouble to get one cow or calf up out of the whole herd when you can take a dart gun and give them med's in the field, saves a lot of time.
Tell me about it, I wish dart guns were legal in England, I really do. We're still battling pink eye had the whole yearling herd clear the other day (after much treatments and keeping them in for a few weeks) even the vet said said so, churn them out to pasture and boom one gets a bad eye a few days later, repeat process.

Last edited:
Ha after some research I find out they are not illegal (probably), wether or not you need a firearms license to use them I'm not sure however but no matter as I have one anyway. I've seen this crossbow https://www.bdsupplies.co.uk/medi-dart-crossbow-kit.html?search=medi dart haha the iea of stalking my cows and shooting them seems funny but I might start saving up, it would be a big time saver.

When giving Draxxin I know they say not more than 10cc at each location but wandering if I need to give a 1400 pound cow a shot if it would hurt to give a 15cc in one shot at one location.

Yes, or 7cc then 8cc in a 10cc dart
The only thing is it's pretty easy to give the first shot but getting the second once they know what's coming and start running, just takes a while to get the second shot in the neck I don't like shooting at them running causes for a bad shot. That's why I prefer just a one shot deal.

The only thing is it's pretty easy to give the first shot but getting the second once they know what's coming and start running, just takes a while to get the second shot in the neck I don't like shooting at them running causes for a bad shot. That's why I prefer just a one shot deal.
I agree, but rarely do i see them run after the first shot. It isnt terrible on them.
If i give them a little feed they normally go back to esting within a minute or so.

Tell me about it, I wish dart guns were legal in England, I really do. We're still battling pink eye had the whole yearling herd clear the other day (after much treatments and keeping them in for a few weeks) even the vet said said so, churn them out to pasture and boom one gets a bad eye a few days later, repeat process.
No pinkeye vaccine there?

Latest posts