NRCS Loan

Help Support CattleToday:

ky colonel

Reaction score
Has anyone took a nrcs loan for cattle. i think they let you use the cattle for collateral. i was just wondering if anyone had any dealings with them.

Yep, you can use the cattle for collateral. And you can't beat their 1% interest rate. But prepare for a lot of paperwork and a several month wait on funds. I do not condone debt but for some of us it's the only way into the business.

NRCS is National Resources Conservation Service, FSA is Farm Service Agency.
NRCS helps on cost share on conservation practices.
FSA has agriculture loads and disaster assistance.

cowboy43":ro4tnhgr said:

thank you cowboy43.....

I was going to make the same distinction....

but both agencies can have people who don't know an angus from an armadillo advising you on what you have to do management wise.

When I was a dairy marketing fieldman I heard some awful stories....

I'm a lender and work with FSA from time to time. They will let you use your cattle as collateral. Lots of paperwork is correct as well. For some to get started though it's the only way and a good option.

pdfangus":209kdnqm said:
cowboy43":209kdnqm said:

thank you cowboy43.....

I was going to make the same distinction....

but both agencies can have people who don't know an angus from an armadillo advising you on what you have to do management wise.

When I was a dairy marketing fieldman I heard some awful stories....

Often they are housed together and you would need a program to tell one from the other. Any time dealing with them do it with both eyes wide open. I have said for years that there are lots of them who you could give them a farm and they would lose it in no time because they wouldn't know how to start the tractor.

Thanks for the info. it would be to buy a few head 10-15 to add to my 10 cows now.

Latest posts