Cattle loan

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Best Buy small cattle loan for 7500 dollars debating on pairs or heavy breds or 3n1 just trying to figure out the better buy. Advice useful. Just saying the best way to make some money. I am in east Tx.

I know a lot of people out your way like the 3 in 1's.. kinda depends on the current price cycle too.. I'd guess that if everyone has grass right now they're going to be up in price, but in a few months you can wean the calf and recoup a good portion, 6ish months from now I'd guess they're going to have another calf, so in a year you have another sale, then you have the cow.

I agree with Nesi.
1. 3 in 1's
2. cow/calf pairs, 0 calving loss and you can see what you're getting for calf and cow BCS.
3. heavy breds, but they are the easiest to find, so giving you more from which to select.

Son of Butch said:
I agree with Nesi.
1. 3 in 1's
2. cow/calf pairs, 0 calving loss and you can see what you're getting for calf and cow BCS.
3. heavy breds, but they are the easiest to find, so giving you more from which to select.
1.I found some 3n1 1875 with some 300lb heifers on them bred back 2 months.
2.Also from same guy 5 pairs 1200 each
3.Heavy breds 800/9 dollars 7-8 months bred
4.My last option is some thin cows for 575 That just need some grass not sure open or bred.

I like buying pairs cause you have a live calf you can see how the cows is maintaining condition 3n1 fit the right price would be nice but I've never seen them go for what I would call a working mans price.

As far as the loan goes if i borrow I borrow from my self (401k) that way cows are paid for I only pay myself back and they hold it out of my paycheck so I ain't gotta worry about nothing. If I loose my job the loan pays its self off so I don't loose the job and the cows

1875 is too much for the 3 n 1s
1200 for pairs is doable depending on age, BCS, good mouths, ect.
Remind me... you already have a proper working brangus bull, correct?

I know nothing of Texas. What are your ideal months for calving in your area?
I would advise to only consider buying animals that fit your ideal timing.
It's your money, be choosy spending it.
I mean, why buy trouble or a pain in the butt with spread out calving dates?

Son of Butch said:

Butch I'm still learning but I'm stuck in between heavy breds and pairs.
I have 4 bull calfs in the ground 1 good potential replacement heifer. And I have two Herefords bred to Brahman bull due in next month but the worst time to have calves I've been told is in the summer in Texas this is my first calf crop so I'll see. But those calfs will take care of majority of my loan. But my the pairs i went to see range from 2yrs old to z5 yrs old with 1-3 month calfs are there side. I know with pairs I'll be able to to sell faster.

Bfields30 said:
Son of Butch said:

Butch I'm still learning but I'm stuck in between heavy breds and pairs.
I have 4 bull calfs in the ground 1 good potential replacement heifer. And I have two Herefords bred to Brahman bull due in next month but the worst time to have calves I've been told is in the summer in Texas this is my first calf crop so I'll see. But those calfs will take care of majority of my loan. But my the pairs i went to see range from 2yrs old to z5 yrs old with 1-3 month calfs are there side. I know with pairs I'll be able to to sell faster. Yes my bull has bred my two baldies heifers for sure and i think he's bred back a few cows as well.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I haven't had the best luck with heavy breds calving when they are supposed to. Apparently some of the vets around here are not very good at palpation.
If you can find some nice young to mid aged pairs for 1200$ that's what I would do.

Your vet must moonlight here in this area. Idk that it's always a vet doing it, but I've bought some that was way off the others in the group of "third" stage. Like three months off. Could have been the sorters too

T & B farms said:
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I haven't had the best luck with heavy breds calving when they are supposed to. Apparently some of the vets around here are not very good at palpation.
If you can find some nice young to mid aged pairs for 1200$ that's what I would do.
Yeah I'm just going to go with the pairs

talltimber said:
Your vet must moonlight here in this area. Idk that it's always a vet doing it, but I've bought some that was way off the others in the group of "third" stage. Like three months off. Could have been the sorters too

I had a vet tell me a cow was open in January calved Month ago had nice baldie bull calf.

Bfields30 said:
T & B farms said:
Yeah I'm just going to go with the pairs

Faster return on investment

Bfields30 said:
talltimber said:

I had a vet tell me a cow was open in January calved Month ago had nice baldie bull calf.

Bought a bred cow in September supposed To calve in March turned young bull out on some open cows in November she was first cow he bred (No March calf)

DCA farm said:
As far as the loan goes if i borrow I borrow from my self (401k) that way cows are paid for I only pay myself back and they hold it out of my paycheck so I ain't gotta worry about nothing. If I loose my job the loan pays its self off so I don't loose the job and the cows

If you lose your job or change employers, your entire 401(k) loan balance is due within 60 days. If you can't repay it, the IRS and your state treat the funds as a withdrawal. You will owe all federal and state income taxes on it, plus an additional 10 percent penalty tax if you are under the age of 59.5 years old.

Copied that word for word. 401K loans are extremely risky. Much better off at your bank.

Latest posts