Now...2 bulls will do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your advice last week on what bull to run with my 29 Black Angus, 4 Red Angus and 17 Char cattle. I gathered alot of ideas. In the end I have decided to find high quality Brangus bulls for the next couple years. Turn back the best heifers and cull current cows as need be. Since I bought all these cows this year I still have much to learn about them and will know more through this calving season.

I have also decided to split the herd in two: Herd #1 29 black angus and herd #2 21 Char and Red angus.

Now my question: will one bull with each herd be able to breed the 29 and 21 cattle effectivly. I know the 21 is good but how about the 29? I think i also would prefer to leave a bull in for 60 days (Dec - Jan) and pull him out so I can have my calves close to the same time. So hot here i think it'd be best to calve after the summer heat and it doesn't get cold until December. What do ya'll think?

A mature bull should be able to handle 29 cows in 60 days easily. I wouldn't buy a bull less than 18 months old for that and be sure to get a vet to do a breeding soundness exam on the bulls before the breeding season.

Just remember if you are going to keep heifers and you have room for another bull you can mix and match them to keep heifers at least for a couple more years then if you only had one bull.

double v":19o4erwb said:
Just remember if you are going to keep heifers and you have room for another bull you can mix and match them to keep heifers at least for a couple more years then if you only had one bull.

Excellent point. The neighbor has 2 herds, one with a charolais bull and one with an Angus. Really I guess it's 4 herds because each herd has a fall and a spring claving season. Anyway, she will run the charolais sired heifers she retains with the Angus and vice versa, then any retained heifers from those go back across the road to the other bull. She get's maximum mileage out of her bulls and doesn;t have to change them as often.

That is just what I was planning!I have the room (200 acres+)...just not completed all the cross fencing yet. Would end up with cows...Angus; Brangus; Char.; CharxBrangus. Would give me lots of flexibiliy. Probably would add hereford bull next to some.

Ponderosa Cattle":1vplh8th said:
That is just what I was planning!I have the room (200 acres+)...just not completed all the cross fencing yet. Would end up with cows...Angus; Brangus; Char.; CharxBrangus. Would give me lots of flexibiliy. Probably would add hereford bull next to some.

If you would want to AI you could hold out some of the best cows and AI them for producing replacements. AI them then turn them in for cleanup with whichever bull you planned on using for them. It would add even more flexibility to your breeding program

Ponderosa Cattle":l2ru8g6p said:
I am interested in AI...but explain to me what you mean. Simply saying I would AI only on my BEST cows to produce the best replacements?

Just as an example, if you wanted to introduce another breed into the mix, AIing to a Hereford on the cows that are the highest percentage of Angus, or Gelbvieh to add more milk and muscle in the replacemnts. I'll pm you.

some ofthe best calves ive seen, were charolais sired out of brangus cows..they were terminals. thick blocky outfits.i havent seen any brangus/char momas... dont know how popular that cross, as a possible replacemant would be

29 and 21 should be easy to cover by a big nutted big butted yearling (18 month old or so) bull. My 18 month old yearling I bought 4 years ago bred 37 head in 33 days.[/quote]

And then he painted the barn and fixed the tractor

TNMasterBeefProducer":1bqp2w01 said:
3waycross":1bqp2w01 said:
29 and 21 should be easy to cover by a big nutted big butted yearling (18 month old or so) bull. My 18 month old yearling I bought 4 years ago bred 37 head in 33 days.

And then he painted the barn and fixed the tractor

3 way if you have a problem with me settle it on pm. I have already turned you in for instigating things already as I am sure macon has already warned you about. I am not someone you want to mess with. I am your worse nightmare when you tick me off and you are just about on my last nerve. The bull in question had a 43 cm scrotal circumference. We did have 37 calves born in 33 days and I have the records to prove it so back off. This is the last time I am going to tell you. Cease and desist all communication with me or the next step you will not like. I can assure you of that. You hijack one more of my posts and see what happens. SMARTARSE![/quote]

I'd like to play the game. Did he actually paint the barn?

I am not someone you want to mess with.

Is this supposed to scare anyone?

This is the last time I am going to tell you.

I wish that were true........... :lol2:

You hijack one more of my posts and see what happens.

I'd hijack a 1000 to see what happens............. :shock:

Did he really fix the tractor too? :lol2:

To all concerned. Be adivsed I cannot respond any longer to he who is not named.

I will take my beating and keep MY mouth shut.

Being a member of this forum means more to me than arguing with he who is not named.

Be careful, any or all you could be next.

If he who is not named should ever get to Colorade, he can give me a call I will be happy to buy him a cup of coffee and attempt to bury the hatchet.

Signed 3waycross.

3waycross":hmba5cfg said:
To all concerned. Be adivsed I cannot respond any longer to he who is not named.

Being a member of this forum means more to me than arguing with he who is not named.

If he who is not named should ever get to Colorade, he can give me a call I will be happy to buy him a cup of coffee and attempt to bury the hatchet.

Signed 3waycross.
for someone that has no name, he sure went through a bunch of em in the past ;-)

he can give me a call I will be happy to buy him a cup of coffee and attempt to bury the hatchet.

Please make sure your hatchet is razor sharp. A dull hatchet would be a terrible way to go. :shock:

I guess this thread is officially hijacked, but if 3-way got his hand slapped and told that he can't respond to someone's post for making a sarcastic (albeit FUNNY remark), I don't know if this forum is a place I want to visit. Isn't free speech guaranteed in the Constitution of the United States? Besides, if you're not thick hided, you've got no place on these boards.

J. T.":5jvn2uiy said:
I guess this thread is officially hijacked, but if 3-way got his hand slapped and told that he can't respond to someone's post for making a sarcastic (albeit FUNNY remark), I don't know if this forum is a place I want to visit. Isn't free speech guaranteed in the Constitution of the United States? Besides, if you're not thick hided, you've got no place on these boards.

Private board. Macon can do whatever he wants. The board does need some policing other wise every yahoo could get on here and disrupt things so bad that no one would ever want to come visit. With that said, I sure hope 3way didn't get his hand slapped. A lot worse has been posted on this board, and everyone knows who the trouble makers are.

Walt

3waycross":s932josp said:

Signed 3waycross.

3Way...Don't know about the "one not named" but I'd certainly enjoy drinking a cup of coffee with you in beautiful Colorado..heck I'll buy. I gotta scoot..gotta go buy paint and get on the waiting list for that bull.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3w5dqq7y said:
Texas bred I thought you and I were on good terms. I guess that just goes to show that noone can be trusted now adays. Secondly the hatchet would never be sharp enough to do me any harm.

now how is that different than the joke the other guy said?

Latest posts