Noticed This

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Been watching the Olympics. I have noticed that during the medals cermony the the athletes that won gold for the USA very few are covering their hearts with their right hands.

Now I was taught to stand and place my right hand over my heart when the national anthum was played. Men are to remove their head covering and do the same.

did someone forget to teach them proper manners?

Manners are learned from home, it is a growing thing that each generation is showing less respect and are rude, they have no respect for the teachers. They will be our future leaders. I am not lumping them all together because their are some good kids out their, In our area it seems to be a trend for home schooling and going to private schools for the ones that can afford it. My grandson only took one year of Vo -Ag because the kids controlled the class and not the teacher. He liked the class but it was lost time for him . I talked to a member of the school and they could not get any applications for a ag teacher only this one and he drives from Gidding to Luling 60 miles each day.

Why should they cover their hearts like we do?

The president doesn't... oops, probably will get a thread locked... erase, erase.

We have stated time and time again on here, the younger generation has not respect. Here is a quote from a movie "Blast from the Past" on manners.

"You know, I asked him about that. He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior"

Wish we could some how instill manners in people. Even the simple stuff like "please", "thank you", "Mr." "Mrs." "Miss". Or if your friend had kids the kids would call you Aunt, Uncle...ahh but that is all lost it seems

Have two sets of friends, well more than two but you get the meaning. The first set, the son is 3 going on 4 and hits his parents, calls them names, and is very defiant. The other set, they discipline them, but the kids right now are on a power trip. They are trying to break them of this habit that has recently surfaced, but it is hard to do. You know the kind, the 5 year old authoritive voice "I want it and I want it now!" Seems to be something she picked up from school, and has since passed it on to the other two little ones.

I luv herfrds":3par4alg said:
Now I was taught to stand and place my right hand over my heart when the national anthum was played. Men are to remove their head covering and do the same.

We were taught in school to put our hands over our hearts when we said the pledge. For the National Anthem we were taught to stand in the humbled position with our hands folded together behind our backsides. Not much different than the pall bearer stand. If you have a hat, you hold it in the folded hands. Your eyes stay focused on the flag during the whole Anthem no matter what distractions. You can swat mosquitoes afterwards. Mildly singing along is preferred.

backhoeboogie":oglgpjmt said:
I luv herfrds":oglgpjmt said:

We were taught in school to put our hands over our hearts when we said the pledge. For the National Anthem we were taught to stand in the humbled position with our hands folded together behind our backsides. Not much different than the pall bearer stand. If you have a hat, you hold it in the folded hands. Your eyes stay focused on the flag during the whole Anthem no matter what distractions. You can swat mosquitoes afterwards. Mildly singing along is preferred.

That's how I was instructed as well.

tncattle467":17hluhy7 said:
Some religions dont allow you to do that. If they are of one of the religions that doesnt allow it I can see where they are coming from. If not they need to find some manners.

Quit covering for these fools. This is the USA. I dont give a darn what religion you are, nobody is exempt from respecting what our Country is based on. God, Guns, Guts. Did anyone see the lack of respect shown at the Super Bowl? Many of the players never removed their caps or place hand over their heart.

Almost every generation swears the younger generation is going to he**. Think about the 60's parents were SURE kids were going downhill....

I heard a radio report on the 60's baby boom generation that said:

"...boomers that would ingest about anything anyone handed them in the 60's are now to be found in the organic foods aisles of the market reading the fine print on cans...."

What I see in many kids is that it seems to be taking them longer to grow up. Kids often don't mature until they are in mid to late 20's if then. This may be our fault more than theirs.

As far as athletes at the Olympics (or any other athletes)....think about it: These are kids that have been pampered and driven around to sporting training and games in many cases since they were 3 years old. Why should they be thoughtful or focused on anyone but themselves????

Yet we have many other young people who are willing to go to Afghanistan and Haiti to serve others...

The more things change the more they stay the same....

I think kids are mostly just maturing later since we as parents have often sheltered and babied them longer than previous generations. There is always the question about how does a society maintain an "edge" during prosperity???

Overall I think we will work it out. I knew someone would use this as an opportunity to knock the President. jmho. Jim

Turned on the tv after lunch last Sunday....the Nascar race was about to start...the guy singing the national anthem didn't even take HIS hat off....(couldn't sing either).

What I hate is when they butcher it up. Try to make it another song by adding a rock twist or a soul twist. 'er - "We were expecting you to sing the National Anthem. What the heck was that?" If they don't want to sing it, sit down and let someone else do it.

backhoeboogie":1os1mrfv said:
What I hate is when they butcher it up. Try to make it another song by adding a rock twist or a soul twist. 'er - "We were expecting you to sing the National Anthem. What the heck was that?" If they don't want to sing it, sit down and let someone else do it.

Amen Bro :!: :!: :!: Sing it like they wrote it or sit down and let somebody sing it that can :!:

TB then they need to sing all 3 verses to it and just the first one. ;-)

Well think about it, these people are standing on a podeum with our flag being raised and the anthem being sung. Cover your heart and show some respect.

Latest posts