Noticed this at work

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10":3obz7f0j said:
So those of you that don't know, Im in my early 20's. So i have never really been called ma'am a lot in my life. Until I started at my job and at least every other guy calls me ma'am. The age of the guys hasn't really mattered it can be a range from guys that are 19 to guys that have been in the Army longer than I have been alive.

So my question is would u call someone around your age or even half your age ma'am? Is this kind of a regional thing? (Everyone that i have met from Arkansas has used the world constantly) Or maybe is it a military thing?

That's your clue. It is customary for any enlisted man to refer to private citizens as well as officers as sir or ma'am.

I say ma'am and sir constantly. I was shocked as a young adult traveling in the northeast, to have a "lady" get really pizzed at me for saying "thank you ma'am". I apologized and explained that where I'm from it was meant as respect. She told me "well, whewe I'm fwom it means old maid"

Ouachita":1piqob10 said:
I say ma'am and sir constantly. I was shocked as a young adult traveling in the northeast, to have a "lady" get really pizzed at me for saying "thank you ma'am". I apologized and explained that where I'm from it was meant as respect. She told me "well, whewe I'm fwom it means old maid"

Did you follow that with a "Yes Ma'am"

Ouachita":1um5ptlx said:

A girl that worked for me from LA said the same thing. That ma'am was only used as an insult when a lady was being a _______. She said you could say that being "respectful" knowing full well it would send the pretentious ladies off the edge.

There are also women that fly off the handle if you hold open a door for them. I just figure that I'll keep on being myself and if they want to feel like I'm being disrespectful then it's their problem as my intent is to be respectfull and that's really the best I can do.

cow pollinater":c58wm6fr said:
There are also women that fly off the handle if you hold open a door for them. I just figure that I'll keep on being myself and
if they want to feel like I'm being disrespectful then it's their problem as my intent is to be respectfull and that's really the best I can do.
Agreed! You are of a higher class than they are and you shouldn't lower yourself to conform to their lack of home raising.

I had this problem at school the other day when in line at the bookstore, happened to answer with "no ma'am" to a woman that is doing work study there and was in a class with me, she responded with "I happen to only be 24 years OLD!" I had to explain to her that that was just the way we were taught to be polite, I'm 19 and i say it to ladies that are both older and younger than me just out of habit mostly.

cow pollinater":1s4scfzf said:
There are also women that fly off the handle if you hold open a door for them. I just figure that I'll keep on being myself and if they want to feel like I'm being disrespectful then it's their problem as my intent is to be respectfull and that's really the best I can do.

Never had a woman complain when I opened a door for her.

Did have one go berserk when she held it open for me and I said Thank You Darlin! Seems that she was a pretty lLiberal kinda girl and thought she was making some knid of statement and when I called her Darlin she freaked out.........so I just told her don't get yer panties in a wad Sweetheart and walked off....i didn't know girls could cuss like that!

Im starting to get used to it now, still throws me off a little when i hear it. (i grew up in an area where u were only called ma'am if you were 50+)

FarmGirl10":jk70j10t said:
Im starting to get used to it now, still throws me off a little when i hear it. (i grew up in an area where u were only called ma'am if you were 50+)

I call all the ladies over 50 young lady and all the ladies under 50 Darlin or Sweetheart or Ma'am..The vast majority don't seem to mind!

Latest posts