Noticed this at work

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
So those of you that don't know, Im in my early 20's. So i have never really been called ma'am a lot in my life. Until I started at my job and at least every other guy calls me ma'am. The age of the guys hasn't really mattered it can be a range from guys that are 19 to guys that have been in the Army longer than I have been alive.

So my question is would u call someone around your age or even half your age ma'am? Is this kind of a regional thing? (Everyone that i have met from Arkansas has used the world constantly) Or maybe is it a military thing?

It's always ma'am or sir when answering a question or such. Or mr and mrs if I'm addressing them directly.
Friends it's goober or some other name

If the person is helping you or waiting on you it is a sign of respect to call her mam I am a senior citizen and I call girls in their early 20's mam. Yes mam.

I'm an Arkansas young man (23), and I say ma'am to adult ladies no matter her age. I even try to say it to women who aren't really being ladies.

Started hearing "Ma'am" about three years ago, before that it would have been 'dear' or 'love' or something like that.
After the initial shock I realised I now had enough wrinkles to be recognised as an adult, and it's true that I haven't had to explain why I'm not in school since then. So either in NZ it's only used for mature women, or the populace in general misjudged my age by a decade or two.
I get both Mr and Mrs as well. And answer to them for simplicity's sake.

cowboy43":1pvo69xd said:
If the person is helping you or waiting on you it is a sign of respect to call her mam I am a senior citizen and I call girls in their early 20's mam. Yes mam.
Yes Sir, a sign of respect.

Isomade":20e5pwvk said:
cowboy43":20e5pwvk said:
Yes Sir, a sign of respect.
Yup, if it's someone I don;t know personally it's Mam. If I went by age there would be darn few Mams.

KNERSIE":1k7fagkz said:
Would it be considered rude to just call someone by their first name if you know it?
Not if you knew it unless it was an old Granny and you were a young kid.

KNERSIE":7i2iugsj said:
Would it be considered rude to just call someone by their first name if you know it?

My rule of thumb is..... I use someones first name after they invite me to...

I have been Jim all my life but I have reached the point where a lot of folks call me Mr. Tate. Those I know and respect... I ask to call me Jim....even if they are young folk...some of the polite young folk still say "Mr. Tate....I mean, Jim..."

I take it as a complement of respect for my grey hair and experience if nothing else....

I call a lot of folk younger than me....sir and mamm or Mr. or Ms..... Us southern folk been using Ms. for decades.

Gal in my office who is in her 20's. ....I routinely call her Ms. Jones....

when you do not know them its best tobe polite by saying mam or sir.but then again i get madd when people call me mr so an so.people i know i call by their names.

Its definitely different than what Im used to, lol. I guess I will just have to get used to it. :)

got slapped on the head couple of times for forgettin to say yes sir or yes mam makes you not forget
br

Latest posts