Nothing Finer

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":36tvzsnd said:
aplusmnt":36tvzsnd said:
Never ate squirrel what parts do you eat and how do you cook it?

Front legs back and back legs. I like mine fried with rice and gravy. There is also dumplings and stew. There are good with biscuits for breakfast.

Holler when supper's ready, CB. :p

How much meat could possibly be on the front legs of a squirrel?

BTW, I've eaten squirrel...and racoon, and armadillo, and rattlesnake, and, and, and....my ex brother-in-law, God rest his soul, was a game warden. Went to a wild game cookoff.

Alice

never eaten squirrel, only ever feed them peanuts in the park.

the American grey squirrel when introduced into Britain a good while back, killed off our Native Red and they are now an endangered animal and on the no killing list. not sure about the grey as we don't have hunting seasons like you here.

They have Grouse season which starts on 12th August, but they are organised shoots, you can't just go out and shoot them from the wild. Fox hunting and badger baiting is Illegal here now. Even fishing you have to have a licence for, and permission from the land owner. how our cultures are different on this subject.

warpaint":fn6s2vg8 said:
Caustic Burno":fn6s2vg8 said:
aplusmnt":fn6s2vg8 said:

Front legs back and back legs. I like mine fried with rice and gravy. There is also dumplings and stew. There are good with biscuits for breakfast.

Holler when supper's ready, CB. :p

Paint,

I never seen a skinny man so hungry all the time!

I learned how to shoot hunting squirrels with a single shot 410. We have mostly cats like caustic, but will see reds also.

When I used to have the time, there was nuthin I loved better than leavin the house before sun up, takin my trusty single shot 22. and gettin a mess of squirrels for the breakfast table.

Most times, I'd have em cleaned before mama got up to start cookin. Used to take wirepliers and crack the skull for the brains. Took a whole lot for a good feeding, but worth the effort.

Have yall ever seen a "steer" squirrel? In heavily squirrel populated areas the old male squirrels will get in the nest and castrate the young squirrels .

Also some of the squirrels around here have "wolves" in them until after a good frost . Wolves are a nasty looking larvae just under the skin of the squirrel. They make a knot about the size of a half dollar . I think it is laid there by some sorta of fly , anyway, it often will have yellow or green pus oosing out of it.

It doesnt effect the flavor of the squirrel unless you are the one that cleans the critter. ;-)

warpaint":ibeb9x1m said:
Gale Seddon":ibeb9x1m said:
No wonder you're skinny...lol.

Now Gale, if you aint tried brains scrambeled with eggs, you can't knock em! ;-)

Warpaint, oh yes I can! Between the brains and denogginizer's wolf worm things, I surely can! I've always said if I had to survive in the wild, I'd die in a day or so, now I know that this is true.

Gale Seddon":1c5ptj2v said:
warpaint":1c5ptj2v said:
Gale Seddon":1c5ptj2v said:
No wonder you're skinny...lol.

Now Gale, if you aint tried brains scrambeled with eggs, you can't knock em! ;-)

Warpaint, oh yes I can! Between the brains and denogginizer's wolf worm things, I surely can! I've always said if I had to survive in the wild, I'd die in a day or so, now I know that this is true.

Just a lot of city folk on here Warpaint, bet they eat chicken.
Now thats a walking buzzard.

Caustic Burno":3rmivpft said:
Just a lot of city folk on here Warpaint, bet they eat chicken.
Now thats a walking buzzard.

Caustic I have good memories of squirrel hunting with Grandad and cousins in East Texas. He'd take all of us boys out every year.

If you ever get up this way, bring your squirrel gun. There is no closed season and no bag limit. You'd better bring a huge ice chest too. You'll never clean out the pecan bottom.

Caustic Burno":3fpc2zed said:
aplusmnt":3fpc2zed said:

That chunk behind the ribs(back) is most peoples first choice ;-) gotta love those little loins. The worst part of using a shotgun is biting into that stray shot that missed the head.

mwj":vxmkywna said:
The worst part of using a shotgun is biting into that stray shot that missed the head.

Whoa...that'd do it for me... :shock:

Alice

I know people who eat squirrels, but I just can't stomach the thought. I'll stick with steak :lol:

I remember well the tree I shot my first squirrl in. I was back there a couple of years ago and it had died and fallen. It was like a part of my life had been taken away. I remember well the times I spent as a kid hunting squirrls. I had a dog that would hunt all day for a pat on the head. My son is now 14 and he's as into hunting as I was as a kid. I would leave home at around daylight and not return until dark. I was only about 7-8 but no one worried back then. I was to small to shoot a shotgun so I got pretty good with a rifle. Those of ya'll that have saw me, yes I was once small for my age. yea, really. Nothing finer than them little critters fried up with mashed taters and gravy on the side and cathead biscuits.