Not sure

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I'm at a bit of a crossroads here.

First off, it sounds like my surgery won't be until another 5 to 6 months from now. Good news is, from the end of August when I began my fat-free diet thing I've lost 20 lbs, and still loosing. A little at a time.

Secondly, with my education I'm not sure how to go about this. From what I've been keeping track of it seems like I won't have enough money for school, and that's just for living expenses and paying rent, not including tuition. I'm not one to be doing a part-time job because I'm not that great with managing time, unlike other people. Also, I'm a bit apprehensive about taking out more loans and adding to the amount I already owe to the government from what I had to take out in my last four years of schooling.

Logically it would be worthwhile to kick myself in the butt and get my driver's license and get a job so I can put money in the bank over winter or until I decide to go back to school next, if I even eventually. And yet another part of me is thinking twice about it and wanting to go back to the university.

And yet, I also know full well that it's not the end of the world if I don't get my degree.

I feel like I'm :deadhorse: but I have to make a decision, and soon. :help:

My opinion, take it or leave it, is to get your drivers license, a job and save your money. If you go back to school now and run out of money and have to get a part time job your grades will suffer since you have time management issues. Also with the upcoming surgery, that probably will effect, at least for a little while, how you do in school bcuz of needing time off for surgery, recovery, ect. I think it'd be better to wait and have school as your main focus, instead of having to worry about money and a surgery.

Congrats on the weight loss!

saddly your in a no win deal at this time.part of me says forget your schooling.get your DL get a job an pay off your school loans.an start building the farm back up an run it.

Get your drivers license AB, don't tell me you live in the country and rely on your mom to chauffeur you around . I am sorry to come off as insensitive, but,,, that is really not fair to ask of her all the time if you do .

If you are not going back to school, get a JOB ! What do your mom and brother say about this situation.

I hate to sound tough, but come on ,you are in your twenties now . I know that you all have been through so very much these past few years, but waiting on your life to happen is not an option. Get out there and make things happen ,good things are waiting for you to grab them . :tiphat:

Sometimes you have to put your goals on ice for a time while you acquire the where withall to start achiving them. You could partner with someone that is getting started or even with some one that is established. It takes time and hard work but any goal (within reason) that you can set you can reach. Set long term goals and also short/intermediate goals but never be afraid to revise them. My goal right now is to live till my 40th wedding anniversary, maybe after that it will be to make it to 41. As you get older your goals shorten in duration of time needed to reach them.

One other thing is to not be afraid to try. Flipping a coin is about as good as any other method of making a decision

I would add that not only get your drivers liscense, but get one that is a CDL. (commercial drivers liscense) It will only open up more opportunities for you. College degrees are nice. but thats about it. Tech schools are where its at.. learn a trade..

dun":2rf08pti said:
One other thing is to not be afraid to try. Flipping a coin is about as good as any other method of making a decision

Great advice ! What is the worse that can happen . If you fail you will learn from your mistakes and hopefully succeed the next time you try .

The only people that are never disappointed or never achieve anything, are the ones that never try to begin with. :tiphat:

Life's what happens when you make other plans.
Get your CDL,then see where you go from there.

HD: I don't think you came off insensitive at all. You have a point, I can't be relying on my 60-year old mother to be driving me around all the time, and I admit I hate being so dependent on her for getting me from point A (home) to point B (somewheres else).

I told mom about the money situation and she agrees it's not worth going back to school this January, nor even til next year (or at all) when I don't have enough to even live: it does cost a lot when I have to worry about food, clothing, rent and other things to get me through the school semester. And it sure as he## isn't going to be fun going back to University when I've got monetary issues to worry about, with more loans and all that other stuff.

Maybe I get too picky about getting a job, but then again maybe not: I hate having to work in an office environment, would rather work at something where I'm actually physically doing something instead of being a blob typing out stuff on a computer keyboard. The jobs that I would love to apply for and regret applying were agricultural jobs, jobs that require[d] a driver's license. Heck if I light a fire under my ass and phone to get some lessons in this week, if not today, and get my license within a couple weeks, and get a vehicle (even if it ends up being a piece of junk...), then I'm good to go.

I think the things that are holding me back are exactly what you, dun and HD, put on the table: I'm too afraid to try things. I go through all the "what-if's" this and that and set too high of expectations on myself. Which ends up in discouragement, certainly not a healthy thing to have when I have to get my life back in order and not be sitting on the computer playing games all day.

And I wonder why I get and complain about being so darn bored every day here at home.

Thanks for the advice, all, definitely good things to think on and to start getting on track on.

hillsdown":1xthsl5r said:
Get your drivers license AB, don't tell me you live in the country and rely on your mom to chauffeur you around . I am sorry to come off as insensitive, but,,, that is really not fair to ask of her all the time if you do .

If you are not going back to school, get a JOB ! What do your mom and brother say about this situation.

I hate to sound tough, but come on ,you are in your twenties now . I know that you all have been through so very much these past few years, but waiting on your life to happen is not an option. Get out there and make things happen ,good things are waiting for you to grab them . :tiphat:
And here is your answer. Nuff said.

I decided as soon as I posted to phone for some lessons. I have to get my GDL first before I get a CDL, but just the fact of getting an actual driver's license will be a stepping-stone in itself. :banana:

Isomade: :nod:

Step 1 - get DL
Step 2- get car
Step 3-get job to pay for gas to get to the job..
If you put off doing anything the only thing your gonna get is older.
:heart: I'd give this advice to my own kids - in fact I did..

go ahead and get a drivers license, i dont know why people make such a big deal about that. i guess thats just some kind of anxiety i never had since ive been driving since i was 3. i feel so much safer and in control when i'm driving as opposed to in the passengers seat. not to mention the independence that comes with it.

depending on what kind of surgery you are having, i would probably take off a semester for that to recover.

if you dont know what you want to do, i would put off school until you find a direction. working different kinds of jobs for a while usually helps someone narrow down a general direction and rule out others. and really unless you are going to be a doctor or lawyer or vet or something a college degree isnt necessary. gaining experience is the best way to learn. especially in agriculture, b/c a lot of times if you do it by the book you will go broke, fast. raising cattle is not rocket science.

Thanks Beefy. I'm going to have gall-bladder surgery, which is why I have to be on a fat-free diet for now until after surgery.

I think any job that doesn't involve sitting at a desk for long periods of time will be fine. But like you and my mom and the others say, I'll have to just take a chance and go out on a limb to gain some experience.

But driver's license first, car second, then job. :)

Thanks again so much for your help, all of you. :D

Car first. Liscense 2nd. You need time to get used to the beast. Read the manual. That kind of stuff. Maybe even drive it down the lane. (That's how my daughter learned.) Put as much down payment as you can muster and make a couple years of low payments. You may need a job. Fuel is expensive and I assume you drive huge miles up there. But hey--now you can go to town when you want to go.

how can you live without a drivers license?
Have you thought of working part itme and going to school part time? Accomplish a lil of each

HD, no there isn't. The pick-up we do have is still in pieces, has been since Dad passed. Drove home from church today on the snow-covered roads (yep, we got snow here...), and so far so good, so I think I may only need a couple of lessons (knock on wood) to review and that before I get my GDL. Really looking forward to my first lesson in the middle this week. :D

GMN, I've (somehow) lasted this long without one. ;) I have thought about the part-time thing, but for me personally, it just wouldn't work, especially since I need to good grades in order to be able to continue to finish my degree. If I can't manage my time properly, I'm pretty much screwed.