not sure what too do?

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
o.k I am running a petting zoo at a Festivel and have too calves there. Well one is mine and a perfect gentleman and ones is our country dirctors and he wants to bring his tommrow and his has scours bad plus he is wild. the gray kind of scours....i really don't want my calf to get it and when i told him, he said that the calf gets scours all the time. I am gonna bring some boluses and see if he will let me give them to him. what would you do??

Another thing is that i will have 2 baby goats and another calf and a grown goat, and really don't want them to get it..

I would not allow him to bring his calf until it had stopped scouring - his calf does not need the added stress, and I would not allow my calves to be exposed to a scouring calf. I don't know if it is transmissible to goats or not, but why take the chance?

Seems like it would be awfully off putting to the vistors and the added odor probably isn't anything kids would want to be exposed to. The wildness will cause the other animals to be a bit silly too.

dun

I'm with Msscamp and Dun.

No way do you want your calf around a sick calf, CowCrazy. I don't know what you can tell the guy, but whatever you do, don't expose your calf to that sick one.

Alice

There have been incidents of children being infected with e-coli by animals in a petting zoo. I would think the county health department should be able to stop this before it happens. I smell lawsuits along with the obvious smell.

I was wondering what kid would want to get in with a calf that has scours, especially since they are just nose level with the smell. :shock:
He shouldn't be taking his calf. I would try to point out the reasons he shouldn't take his calf ( the smell will be a turn off for children and parents, petting zoo calves need to be spotless so there is less chance of kids getting e-coli and it is hard to keep a scouring calf clean and your calves health) If he insists on taking his calf then tell him that you are sorry but then you won't be taking any of your calves. If goats can get scours then don't take them either. It will be a hard thing to do standing up to him but your herds well-being has to come first. Let us know what happens.

#1. you dont need your calf around that calf.
#2. nobody wants to be around a scouring calf.expecially the unexperienced
#3. that calf needs treatment, not added stress. it will end up worse off.

its a bad idea all around to bring that calf. that is just sad.

Be firm and up front with the man. It is obvious that he isn't all that concerned with the health of his animals.
No sick animals should come in contact with the public and a wild calf is a accident waiting to happen.
Good luck...Dmc

ok. he did not show up with the calf..nothing said...which was for the best anyway...but if he had showed up with the calf i would have shoved some boluses down his throat and sent him back to the trailer!
The calf looked really healthy, stout and thick, so i wonder if a healthy calf can get it and stay healthy??he didnot have the sick calf look............... But i guess the good Lord new best and entervenied.! other than that the petting zoo went very good, made over 250.00 which will send my sister and i too camp..thanks for the replys!!!!!!

Also I refuse to comment on wether he cares for his animals or not. My brother went to see his cows and said that they are all very healthy with runny manure so he might have just have had too much green grass like the others cows...another thing is that this man i very nice himself and i would be the last to put his reputation down..And i have lost a calf too scours and might have jumped the gun, his manure was smelly and very scoury looking but it could have been something else....

Thanks again for the comments, If this situation comes up again i wil deffintly take these suggestion in the consideration!!!!

Latest posts