Not Pets? Maybe. But then what?

Help Support CattleToday:

With my Angus, no matter how much I can rub and pet on one when it is a baby, when it becomes an adult, it still does not want me to touch it. They will smell and only a couple will eat food out of my hands, but don't try to touch their body.
I guess that is best as I still get attached to them. If I could rub them all over, then it would kill me if one had to go....

Back when prices were BAD, I had one that was a really nice pet, and would have made a great show project (had beautiful long fur and pattern)... I was going to get so little money for it I just gave it away, and the folks bought hay for her from me, where I made some money back.
I'm pretty used to the routine of shipping now, it will never become enjoyable (except for the cheque), but I am getting conditioned to it.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2uxyu97s said:
Hoping Margo arrives safe and sound today. When my daughter found out where she was going for her new home, that made the "letting her go" much easier.
Our job as parents is to teach our children to love, be compassionate, and be real. My kids know that the cattle must work for a living, to stay at our farm. But they can work and be their "friends" also. We name our steers we later put on the dinner table. The kids halter break, feed, and show them for 8 months or longer. They get attached, but they know what the purpose of that steer is. And they eat them... I think they like the heifers more, since they know they are not likely to end up on the dinner plate!

Hooked and ready to meet the hauler. I never imagined it would be this long. He keeps telling me she is doing fine. I think he unloads them every night. Should have her in a couple hours.

Enjoy your new pet... I know she went from one good home to another. Sure is a long time, I'm quite sure they would be getting unloaded nightly so they can eat and drink

Bigfoot":3di9gj51 said:
I see you guys post threads about your emotional attachment to your cattle, and I gotta tell ya. I don't feel that way. I think I even started a thread about it once. They are a tool to me, and that is all. They deserve, and get the best possible care that I can give them. Beyond that, I have no emotional attachment to them. I'm not saying your way is wrong, it's just not my way. Almost irregardless of how wild a cow is, she has a place here as long as she weans a big calf, and breeds back.
I'm in the middle on this, I don't name my cows or give them baths, but out of all my cows I do have a handfull that have been with me a long time or out of some of my best cows that are a little different to me. I have a couple I will never sell and they will get buried on this farm.

But it is a business and if a cow stops raising a calf as good as she should she grows wheels in a hurry.

Chuckie":1debqztp said:
With my Angus, no matter how much I can rub and pet on one when it is a baby, when it becomes an adult, it still does not want me to touch it. They will smell and only a couple will eat food out of my hands, but don't try to touch their body.
I guess that is best as I still get attached to them. If I could rub them all over, then it would kill me if one had to go....
Chuckie you don't have that "masculine musk" that Inyati puts out. :lol2: :lol2:

I have given a "retirement" period to some of my best old cows of a couple months of free grazing... The old girl I put down last would have been a candidate for it, but with her hips another winter would have been too hard on her. She had raised 16 good calves and didn't owe me anything anymore. It takes at least 12 before I put that offer on the table for them, and it usually is off the table if they had a 'second chance' at some point.

Bigfoot":3q4johyd said:
Commodity is a better word. I sold some 725 steers for $2.45 the other day. It's getting harder and harder to lose on cattle, but I'll keep trying. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigfoot, one thing for sure, you are right there in the bigtime with Cowgirl8. Selling 725 head of steers takes you out of the hobby category. What was the average weight? :D

inyati13":2qzzozs8 said:
Bigfoot":2qzzozs8 said:
Commodity is a better word. I sold some 725 steers for $2.45 the other day. It's getting harder and harder to lose on cattle, but I'll keep trying. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigfoot, one thing for sure, you are right there in the bigtime with Cowgirl8. Selling 725 head of steers takes you out of the hobby category. What was the average weight? :D
:lol2: :lol2: :clap:. Atleast it's a nice person like Bigfoot who has all of them :lol2:.

inyati13":69hnepoo said:
Bigfoot":69hnepoo said:

Ha the thumbs are mighteyer than the sword. I meant 725 pound.

I completely understood it :) That's about what they're going for up here too. Sounds like corn is staying low so that might help calf prices

Bigfoot":1lgo7ozf said:
inyati13":1lgo7ozf said:
Bigfoot":1lgo7ozf said:

Ha the thumbs are mighteyer than the sword. I meant 725 pound.

I knew what you meant. TT is in Warsaw this week-end. I sent him a text saying, "Check Bigfoot's post, he sold 725 steers."

He didn't bite. He came back, "Ron, he means pounds, not head."

Fire Sweep Ranch":2fsqg5w7 said:
Hoping Margo arrives safe and sound today. When my daughter found out where she was going for her new home, that made the "letting her go" much easier.
Our job as parents is to teach our children to love, be compassionate, and be real. My kids know that the cattle must work for a living, to stay at our farm. But they can work and be their "friends" also. We name our steers we later put on the dinner table. The kids halter break, feed, and show them for 8 months or longer. They get attached, but they know what the purpose of that steer is. And they eat them... I think they like the heifers more, since they know they are not likely to end up on the dinner plate!

Got her Friday night. What a long trip for Margo!!!! I met the hauler who is out of TN in Mayslick. Home of the Boyd Angus Operation. Hauler does a lot of runs in and out of a Marathon Station there that has a big lot for truckers. I backed up to his trailer and we moved Morgo onto a trailer that belongs to my neighbor. (First time in my life I have backed a trailer. Took me three tries and I was getting a little embarrassed but on the third try, out dear Lord guided me perfectly up against the back of his trailer. :D ).

Anyway, got Margo "home on the range" and noticed she had a lot of mud on her. The guy had off-loaded her a few times and the night before must have put her in the mud. I gave her a pan of mixed feed while I got the hose and washed her off. We took to each other like a fish takes to water. I noticed something between her claws on the left front foot. I tried to pull it out but she picked it up real fast as they do when they don't want you messing with their feet. I got my long handled vise grips and reached in real quick and pulled it out. Got it! I washed between her toes real good to make sure she was not carrying some organism I didn't want. She drank a ton of water. I rubbed her down and brushed her. I want to keep her close for a week so I put her in the pen where I have two steers I am weaning. She kicked up her heels and ran around. It excited the two steers and they joined in. Fun to watch a big critter taking joy in such a small wonder as having a space.

I love Margo. She is a nice frame size for my operation. She is bigger than Star, Blaze, Socks, and Tatum. But never going to be as big as the HP/RP cows or even some of the others.

Fire Sweep Ranch, I think Margo likes the green hills of Robertson County Kentucky! Tell Rachel all is well for Margo!

I know my real pets around here would get mighty mad if another cow came around that stole the attention.. there'd be some BIG fights

Proof: I love that Fire Sweep Brand
2afy1i0.jpg

5ze1jk.jpg

Latest posts