Not Pets? Maybe. But then what?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S":12xgahgn said:
If you get to the point where you can't sell them when it's time, then they're pets.

While I understand what you're saying, and I fully agree with it for the most part, I have to argue with this particular statement. Some animals - be they goats, horses, cattle, pigs, sheep, or whatever - are special. For one reason or another, they have made a contribution that is significant enough to have earned them the right to simply be retired and allowed to mooch until they die. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

Welcome back msscamp, wondered what happened to you...always did enjoy your posts. How are the goats working out for you?

msscamp":2h93r77b said:
Rafter S":2h93r77b said:
If you get to the point where you can't sell them when it's time, then they're pets.

[butquote]

While I understand what you're saying, and I fully agree with it for the most part, I have to argue with this particular statement. Some animals - be they goats, horses, cattle, pigs, sheep, or whatever - are special. For one reason or another, they have made a contribution that is significant enough to have earned them the right to simply be retired and allowed to mooch until they die. It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

That's a little different situation than what I meant. I don't think I'll ever let a cow stay if she stops having calves but if someone else wants to I don't have a problem with it. For that matter, I don't have a problem with people keeping cattle as pets in general. I don't see anything morally wrong with it, so if that's what they want to do it's none of my business.

alisonb":372o1yzk said:
Welcome back msscamp, wondered what happened to you...always did enjoy your posts. How are the goats working out for you?

Thank you! :) They are doing great! I ended up with 138 kids this year out of 60 does, and only lost 2 to cold and 1 to the sac not breaking. I am in the process of downsizing due to rain/hail destroying our first 2 cuttings of hay, but I am keeping the best and I can rebuild when the weather straightens up.

Rafter S":1iedxxt2 said:
msscamp":1iedxxt2 said:
Rafter S":1iedxxt2 said:

[butquote]

That's a little different situation than what I meant. I don't think I'll ever let a cow stay if she stops having calves but if someone else wants to I don't have a problem with it. For that matter, I don't have a problem with people keeping cattle as pets in general. I don't see anything morally wrong with it, so if that's what they want to do it's none of my business.

My mistake, and I apologize for misunderstanding. :) I would caution you to never say never, though! I said the same thing when I got into goats 8 years ago. There is one doe out of the entire bunch that will never be sold. She is special to me for a variety of reasons, and she will die here. My Dad also said the same thing, but there was one mare who more than earned her keep for life, and she died here.

Latest posts