not outta the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
. . . . that calf that got squirted under the gate . . . don't think he's nursing . . . . thought he was though I never actually saw him. he looked strong, called for momma when he was lonely. today is day 2 though and I still haven't seen him nurse, momma's bag says he's not and he's getting weaker. I got her in the chute it's pretty clear he hasn't been on her today at all. I saw him urinate several times and pass a stool so I figured he was ok.

now I have to decide if he drank originally (he knows how to suck) or never did at all. can a calf live 2 days, urinate and poop without feeding at all?

no temp on the calf or other signs of distress.

Depends on the weather. If it is nice out they can go for 3-4 days. If it is cold, not so long. We had one last year that sucked as a newborn, but got sick at a couple days old and quit sucking. We figured it out in time and got the calf treated, fed it a couple times and it got going on mom again.

Get some teat dip and put food coloring in it (I use blue, lots of it) and dip her, will tell you shortly if that calf has/is nursed/ing. Jeanne gave out this advise a few years back, works great. Takes the guess work out of this whole thing.