not meant to be political - pic heavy

Help Support CattleToday:

This has been a great thread! Thanks cross_7 for starting it. I'm enjoying the history lesson and the pictures! :)

Still wondering about the pitchfork brand and horses.

Katherine

ALACOWMAN":24c0yjn5 said:
great pictures,, have you seen the cotton baler,, rolls em up like round bales?? http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WQqtBFJpgtY/T ... dBaler.jpg

altus ok area has quite a few running.
they love them, saves a boll buggy, module builder, tractors for both, hired hands and they claim they can pick more than twice the cotton of the old style picker.
now the gins are a different story because they are not set to handle them and the plastic wrap recyclers are few and far, or was last year.

Workinonit Farm":1n5ohybz said:
This has been a great thread! Thanks cross_7 for starting it. I'm enjoying the history lesson and the pictures! :)

Still wondering about the pitchfork brand and horses.

Katherine

i'm not aware of the pitchfork in dickens county branding their horses with a fork on the shoulder, but there is an outfit in new mexico(i think) that does, but i could be wrong. I think pete bonds uses a fork also around wise county.
pitchforks have a website and you could ask them.
bob moorehouse was the manager for 20+ years and is in weatherford tx and is involved in keeping the cowboy tradition and loves to talk horses, cattle and would be glad to visit with you.

kenny thomas":25v0xjzm said:
I have never been to west TX anytime that it wasnt dry. Would like to see it green sometime.
Have only worked in east TX when it was wet so again a different world.
This is not what most folks consider West Texas as it's more north toward the Texas Panhandle...move south of I-20 to San Angelo and then go west....that's West Texas. Fr. Stockton, Marathon, Alpine, Wink, El Paso. Still some very beautiful country and very fertile if you can get some water on it. Have seen some beautiful irrigated alfalfa fields around Ft. Stockton.

TexasBred":3lkj2ry3 said:
kenny thomas":3lkj2ry3 said:
I have never been to west TX anytime that it wasnt dry. Would like to see it green sometime.
This is not what most folks consider West Texas as it's more north toward the Texas Panhandle...move south of I-20 to San Angelo and then go west....that's West Texas. Fr. Stockton, Marathon, Alpine, Wink, El Paso. Still some very beautiful country and very fertile if you can get some water on it. Have seen some beautiful irrigated alfalfa fields around Ft. Stockton.

you were doing until you said wink, el paso and fertile all in the same sentence :lol:
and we call that "Far West Texas" (google it)
I can see new mexico from my house :D

cross_7":2v5skghn said:
TexasBred":2v5skghn said:
kenny thomas":2v5skghn said:

you were doing until you said wink, el paso and fertile all in the same sentence :lol:
But I agree with him. I used to live in San Angelo, and we all called that West Texas, but it really isn't. I don't really consider it West Texas till ya cross the Pecos at least. The Geographical center of Texas isn't very far East of San Angelo--right outside Brady.

TexasBred":2swbrfqv said:
kenny thomas":2swbrfqv said:

TB, some folks refer to some of that as "far west". Try telling the folks around Abilene that they are not part and you may find yourself in a mess. Might get you killed in Mingus but then again, anything can get you killed in Mingus. :D

"experts" say it is the 98th meridian that seperates west Texas. Some say it is the Brazos River but the headwaters for it are in New Mexico and it could never work in north Texas. Some refer to I-35 as the division line for west Texas. Fort Worth's, "Where the west begins" slogan refers to an Indian treaty but others refer to that as the beginning of West Texas. When you live east of Tyler, that seems applicable.

My favorite part of Texas is the hill country and that is also debated extensively. Don't matter which areas you try to classify, we all have our favorite place(s) that are much more specific locales.

I thought El Paso was apart of New Old Mexico?

I don't know where East meets West, all I know is that Fort Worth is on the dry line. Abilene is dry, Midland you have to take a drink to spit, and El Paso ain't even funny.

I was at a place in El Paso that used irrigation from the river to flood their grass- at least 2 inches deep of water covering the ground. A day later, grass was green but you could kick up dust! That country makes our barren sand hills look like the Amazon Rain Forest.

cross_7":fuims4h7 said:

You never saw the alfalfa fields out there?? Heck Cross....I can see NM from Central Texas. :lol2: :lol:

Latest posts