Not happy

Help Support CattleToday:

I have no recent photos, but this one heifer calf that was the first born this spring.

Im not a cattle expert, but I'm 99.9% sure that putting that much ear on yours calves in your location that you're going to get the same sale results

Cross-7":2pom689t said:
Im not a cattle expert, but I'm 99.9% sure that putting that much ear on yours calves in your location that you're going to get the same sale results

I don't know bout that Cross I put a lot of ear on some with a lot of beef.
They always ring the bell like this steer.

Cross-7":qf88c1lc said:
I think you are correct. It was probably a combination of things, but I'm pretty sure I'm not taking my next batch to that sale barn. I'll drive them 100 miles to El Reno. Much bigger auction with a lot more buyers.

AZAggie":1tr66e3v said:
Cross-7":1tr66e3v said:
I think you are correct. It was probably a combination of things, but I'm pretty sure I'm not taking my next batch to that sale barn. I'll drive them 100 miles to El Reno. Much bigger auction with a lot more buyers.

Again I'm not an expert but I'd suggest a different bull, JMO

You need to remember that you when your breeding for replacement heifers, the steers are a by-product. In our part of the world, those F1 heifers are worth as much or more than the steers.

BC":1gwuj71f said:
You need to remember that you when your breeding for replacement heifers, the steers are a by-product. In our part of the world, those F1 heifers are worth as much or more than the steers.

No doubt
They make great cows

Cross-7":1b21r1pu said:
AZAggie":1b21r1pu said:
Cross-7":1b21r1pu said:

That animal would have brought .90 here too. Nothing wrong with the bull. That calf looks malnurished. The bull calf only weighed 500-600 at 8 months old. Need to take a hard look at its "Angus" momma. That calf does not show the traits of that bull other than the ears.

Some places may not like ear on cattle and that's fine. That's a marketing problem on the sellers end. From a breed stand point, a quality Brahman and quality Angus will produce a bull that will run with the best of them.

Sorry to be blunt AZAggie, not trying to run down on your cattle, but you have a quality issue and a marketing issue. I have sold heavily influenced Brahman bulls right beside bulls with as little as 1/8 Brahman, both were quality animals, they were pennies apart. Quality sells every time no matter what else is going on.

Here is an F1 bull with the exact same Brahman X Angus breeding.

This is a Brahman X Angus, F1 heifer.

Cross-7":5hyu5odi said:
AZAggie":5hyu5odi said:
Cross-7":5hyu5odi said:

I have an Angus bull that has been with my cows since last spring. I shouldn't have anything but black calves this next year. This bull replaced our old Hereford bull.

Brute 23":smv43abo said:
Cross-7":smv43abo said:
AZAggie":smv43abo said:

That animal would have brought .90 here too. Nothing wrong with the bull. That calf looks malnurished. The bull calf only weighed 500-600 at 8 months old. Need to take a hard look at its "Angus" momma. That calf does not show the traits of that bull other than the ears.

Here is an F1 bull with the exact same Brahman X Angus breeding.

This is a Brahman X Angus, F1 heifer.
That probably wasn't the best picture to use. That was a bottle calf, and it was only about 3-4 months old in that picture.

That makes sense by the look of the calf.

Now is a touchy time to sell Brahman influence. If you combine the glut of calves, an unfriendly barn, going in to winter, maybe a less than perfect animal you can take a beating if all the stars line up. We have all been there and taken our licks.

I would still use another barn though just because.

My favorite cow.
I prefer brangus cows but eared calves don't sell well here.
Idk why but there are more red cows than black in this area.

IMG_3666.jpg

I'm not surprised that your eared calves didn't get along at Elk. I work at Clinton, and they don't get along here any time of the year. I'm not sure what sale barns in Texas that are closer to you might do with them, but I know they'll do better (at least have in the past) at Apache, though I believe farther south and east would be better yet.

Tulia TX is a good sale and eared calves do good if they don't show too much ear.

Cross-7":2t47w1on said:
My favorite cow.
I prefer brangus cows but eared calves don't sell well here.
Idk why but there are more red cows than black in this area.

IMG_3666.jpg

This a better looking cow but the first raises a better calf each year
IMG_3677.jpg

Latest posts