Not happy

Help Support CattleToday:

AZAggie

Reaction score
I took my first Brahman/Angus cross calves to the sale barn Friday. I'm not happy. Prices were down a bit, but I had one 545 lb steer go for 90 cents. I had a 685 lb bull calf go for 93 cents. That's disgusting. The best I did was $1.15 for a 645 lb steer and $1.16 for a 600 lb steer. I expected to be docked some for the ear, but crap! Luckily I only have one Brahman mix left. We'll probably eat that one. The rest are solid black or black baldies. Needless to say, I won't be breeding anything back to our Brahman bull.

Yeah thats bad but doesn't surprise me. Calves with more than 1/4 ear don't do well north of the Red River going into winter.

The market is pretty good for #1 calves but falls off quickly after that. Junk cattle and calves that look sick are at give away prices. Where did you sell at?

bird dog":3ul4nudy said:
Yeah thats bad but doesn't surprise me. Calves with more than 1/4 ear don't do well north of the Red River going into winter.

The market is pretty good for #1 calves but falls off quickly after that. Junk cattle and calves that look sick are at give away prices. Where did you sell at?
Elk City OK

There aren't many eared cattle around me or the other places I've been in Oklahoma, maybe in hot humid SE ?

From what I've seen at the sale barns around here calves get docked pretty good it they show ear.
But back home most everybody runs brangus cows and used a bull to take off some ear and they ring the bell at the sale even if they show quite a bit of ear.
It's odd how it can vary within 300 miles

I'm not wanting to stir the pot or start an argument but I know Brahman will put some frame and a$$ on an angus cow, they hustle a living, are good protective mothers, and breed her to a Limi bull.
At home that calf will bring good money.
But from what I've seen good brangus calves get docked pretty good around here and I bet it's worse the farther north you go.

Cross-7":3eykh562 said:
I'm not wanting to stir the pot or start an argument but I know Brahman will put some frame and a$$ on an angus cow, they hustle a living, are good protective mothers, and breed her to a Limi bull.
But from what I've seen good brangus calves get docked pretty good around here and I bet it's worse the farther north you go.

Interesting assessment.

Cross-7":1gubb14n said:
Sounds like a opportunity for you to make a few dollars.

I don't have a dog in this fight, most of my cows are red angus.
I have a cousin still there.
I have pics of his cows and calves out of a limflex bull.
He calves in the spring and grazes them on wheat till match/April
The steers and heifer averages 1200 a head this last spring
I can probably get a picture of the sale check from last year
His cows and calves.

AZAggie":2ax07zo9 said:
I took my first Brahman/Angus cross calves to the sale barn Friday. I'm not happy. Prices were down a bit, but I had one 545 lb steer go for 90 cents. I had a 685 lb bull calf go for 93 cents. That's disgusting. The best I did was $1.15 for a 645 lb steer and $1.16 for a 600 lb steer. I expected to be docked some for the ear, but crap! Luckily I only have one Brahman mix left. We'll probably eat that one. The rest are solid black or black baldies. Needless to say, I won't be breeding anything back to our Brahman bull.

Post some pics of the bull or cows or heifer mates so we can see them.

Latest posts