NOT ENOUGH MILK

Help Support CattleToday:

So, with this formula (and all breed associations does this - may vary a little, but pretty much the same formula) - you can compare calves from not only different age of cows, but also different age of calves because all calves get adjusted to a 205 day weight. Apples to apples.
So, say in Roberts scenero, you had a 5 yr old cow with a 600# calf at weaning age of 200 days old.
600 - 70BW + 530 / 200 = 2.65 x 205 = 543# + 70 = 613# (no cow adjustment)

So you had a heifer with an actual wt of 500# calf and a cow with a 600# calf when you weaned them. But, the cows calf was 20 days older & after you take into consideration the fact that the heifer will milk better as she ages - the heifer is the better calf raiser.
Heifer's calf has a 205 adj ww of 650# and the cow's calf is 613#.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":373sop8h said:
So you had a heifer with an actual wt of 500# calf and a cow with a 600# calf when you weaned them. But, the cows calf was 20 days older & after you take into consideration the fact that the heifer will milk better as she ages - the heifer is the better calf raiser.
Heifer's calf has a 205 adj ww of 650# and the cow's calf is 613#.

Jeanne! You just connected some dots through my thick skull. With my small test on my herd I found that heifers were weaning around 50 pounds less. Using your scenario, the heifer will indeed milk better as she gets older, so 50 pounds may be as good or better (depending upon the cow and breed) than the herd average. Now that's some good info. As always I know you can't just equate this across the board especially with different breeds; but the same premise is there. Makes perfect sense.

Glad I could help :nod:
With the adjusted 205 day weight (and I have no idea why they use 205 days???), you can compare all cattle performance. You "can" compare your cattle to others - but, environment plays into the figures. But, it is a great yardstick across the nation.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
But, not milking well as a 2 year old is one thing - not having enough milk to keep her calf growing without a nurse cow is excessively poor milking. Unless this heifer is thin, undernourished, been sick - some MAJOR "excuse" (and we all know what robert says about excuses) - she is a poor candidate to stay in a herd.[/quote

Valid point, and you are absolutely correct. My bad.

MoGal":1mtts82o said:
there are more threads on this same subject but I will say that my experience has been that the heifer gave more milk with her second calf. Only you know what the milking epds is on your bull since you say the heifers momma is a good milker. To cull or not? I probably would not, but then it would depend on how well I liked her momma and knew her history.
Gotta agree with you. Lots to consider. Genetics, body condition, nutrition, etc. If she calved on her own and mothered up good I would certainly give her a chance to do better with her second calf.

CKC1586":1bfbn60w said:
MoGal":1bfbn60w said:
there are more threads on this same subject but I will say that my experience has been that the heifer gave more milk with her second calf. Only you know what the milking epds is on your bull since you say the heifers momma is a good milker. To cull or not? I probably would not, but then it would depend on how well I liked her momma and knew her history.
Gotta agree with you. Lots to consider. Genetics, body condition, nutrition, etc. If she calved on her own and mothered up good I would certainly give her a chance to do better with her second calf.
she did and still does mother her calf and she calved unassisted a pied sired heifer.she was feeding her calf on her own but it was always nursing and it did'nt seem to be growing as it should.so i had this jersey that was ready to wean a couple calves but still had plenty of milk and i figured it could only help which it certainly did.the calf nurses both cows but she hangs out with her dam.i think i am going to go ahead and pull the dam and leave the calf on the jersey.she has about another 3 months to milk so that should b plenty for the calf and the dam can get some condition back.

Latest posts