not 1, not 2, 3!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
IMG_8863_1.jpg

Had a first last night. Got a cow in to calve, she was due March 17 so we knew something was up. Went to town for a soup and pie supper and when we got home she had one calf. Too small for just one, so we put her in the chute, she's still so big she barely fits through. Yep, sure enough there is another one and it comes right out. Hubby asks if he should check for another and I said no (my mistake). So we tube them and go to the house. He goes out to check later and comes back and says there are 3 calves out there! So I grabbed the camera and took a few pics. Mom is a little confused- understandably - but doing okay. The one on the left is a heifer, she was born second. The one in the middle is the biggest and last bull. The right is the first and a bull. I think we will pull off the heifer and bottle feed her.
My grandpa had triplets once with a dairy cow, had to have been in the early 70's. We have never had that before.
So my streak of heifers has now ended and we have 10 calves on 7 cows. :shock: (We did lose a cow the other day so it's nice to maybe make that up a little.

Neat. And of course you've read all the threads about freemartins I'm sure.

Impressive! I'm not one who believes in feeding grain but that girl sure deserves a heavy daily ration! :tiphat: Thanks for sharing. BTW, they look like pretty big calves as well.

Jogee- I forgot the weights. I'd say they are around 65-70 lb a piece. :shock: (That's why she was so fat!)

Dun, we'll keep her in case another loses one.

She raised our best heifer last year....

kool dont ya just love triplelets.weve never had a set.that cow is really paying her way.hopefully youll have 3 calves to sale at weaning.

they are up and looking good..hope she takes a couple of them for you with the cost of replacer! good luck and yes they are cute. donna

They are doing great!. Here is a newer picture. Right after they were born I ran out and took those first pictures- I wanted a pic with them all alive (in case one croaked) Now they are all clean, dry, and fluffy cute!
IMG_8917_1.jpg

Congratulations! They are adorable and look so healthy. Best of luck with them. we have had several sets of twins, but never triplets. Take good care of mama!

iowahawkeyes":12d47deh said:
I think we will pull off the heifer and bottle feed her.
My grandpa had triplets once with a dairy cow, had to have been in the early 70's. We have never had that before.

Why would you pull the smallest calf to bottle feed? I would pull the biggest one, possible two - depending on the heifer.

I'd have to agree with Jo. That mama deserves some feed. My twinner has gained a little weight, but it's hard to gain with two hungry bull calves sucking on you.

What's the deal with all the twins, triplets this year? Global warming, I'm sure ;-)

msscamp":xp0wbilh said:
iowahawkeyes":xp0wbilh said:

Why would you pull the smallest calf to bottle feed? I would pull the biggest one, possible two - depending on the heifer.

We don't know who we'll pull off yet. We take a bottle out in the morning and evening and let all suck on it. The heifer calf is probably the nicest one but will be probably be sterile, that is why I initially said we would pull her.
The cow is 7 years old and is doing a great job.

iowahawkeyes":3bioniah said:
They are doing great!... ...Now they are all clean, dry, and fluffy cute!
Those are some kind of awesome! Stout looking little rascals. I bet they'd really be pretty in red! :nod: ;-)

iowahawkeyes":2vpba7f4 said:
msscamp":2vpba7f4 said:
iowahawkeyes":2vpba7f4 said:

We don't know who we'll pull off yet. We take a bottle out in the morning and evening and let all suck on it. The heifer calf is probably the nicest one but will be probably be sterile, that is why I initially said we would pull her.
The cow is 7 years old and is doing a great job.

With our set of twins we let them both stay on mama for 9 days supplementing them with bottles. Then we pulled the smallest one off, we were going to bottle feed her and then sell her in a few weeks if we didn't have to "replace" a lost calf. She and the cow threw such a fit at being separated even by a gate and she fought the bottle even when she was starved that we started rethinking the "plan". The larger calf would take a bottle readily, unless she really wasn't hungy, and would eat grain and hay like crazy. We finally decided that rather than fighting we'd just make the switch that was the least amount of work for us and stress on the calves.

Latest posts