Non Ethanol gas

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Had to dain 10 gallons of non ethanol gas out of my welder because of water.

I have bought all of my non ethanol at the same station for the last 5 years or so. Never a problem until now. Had about 1 gallon out of the 10 that was water.

Showed it to the store manager and he just laughed and said he had just changed the filter and had 6000 gallons delivered.
I didn't like his attitude and have been looking for a new place to buy my fuel. We have gas stations called Casey's that sale non ethanol but right below where it says non ethanol is a yellow sticker saying enthanol.
They also sale premium non ethanol gas ? I was told that premium high octane 91-93 was non same as non ethanol. I read that 95 % of ethanol gas has ethanol in it.

So i am confused about the non ehanol gas sold at the Casey's stations as to why they have a yellow sticker saying ethanol under the non ethanol sticker on the one selection and the word premium above the other non ethanol selection on their pumps ? Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Had to dain 10 gallons of non ethanol gas out of my welder because of water.

I have bought all of my non ethanol at the same station for the last 5 years or so. Never a problem until now. Had about 1 gallon out of the 10 that was water.

Showed it to the store manager and he just laughed and said he had just changed the filter and had 6000 gallons delivered.
I didn't like his attitude and have been looking for a new place to buy my fuel. We have gas stations called Casey's that sale non ethanol but right below where it says non ethanol is a yellow sticker saying enthanol.
They also sale premium non ethanol gas ? I was told that premium high octane 91-93 was non same as non ethanol. I read that 95 % of ethanol gas has ethanol in it.

So i am confused about the non ehanol gas sold at the Casey's stations as to why they have a yellow sticker saying ethanol under the non ethanol sticker on the one selection and the word premium above the other non ethanol selection on their pumps ? Does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
That is supposed to say 95 % of all 91-93 octane premium gas has ethanol in it.

I can't find 91-93 non ethanol here. I use 87 in everything.
I can't either. I was just told that premium ethanol gas that had 91-93 octane is the same thing as non ethanol gas. But the person that told me that was wrong because after reading about it. I found out that even high octane premium gas has enthanol in it too.

Why is there any ethanol in the gas we buy?

My understanding is it's not good for small or older engines. Is it government mandates for cleaner energy and the corn industry that drive the requirement for ethanol in the fuel we use?

Caseys around here doesnt do off road/AG diesel. I have to go over 50 miles round trip to get ethanol free. Wish we had a station close enough that sells it. I use regular diesel and pour it through a TSC fuel/water filter prior to filling the tank. I know it doesn't remove the ethanol, but gives me the confidence my tractor will start when its needed...... hopefully not until spring! LOL!

Caseys around here doesnt do off road/AG diesel. I have to go over 50 miles round trip to get ethanol free. Wish we had a station close enough that sells it. I use regular diesel and pour it through a TSC fuel/water filter prior to filling the tank. I know it doesn't remove the ethanol, but gives me the confidence my tractor will start when its needed...... hopefully not until spring! LOL!
Are you sure they are adding ethanol to diesel? I have never seen that.

I get 93 octane (no ethanol) gas for my tractors and generator, and add HEET year around.
I run 10% ethanol in my trucks. 87 or 89 octane.
I love Casey's pizza, but avoid there gas if possible. Both of my trucks get poorer gas mileage when I use Casey's gas.

Are you sure they are adding ethanol to diesel? I have never seen that.
Not sure of much. I just read the signs and stickers they post on the pump.

"All fuel has up to 10% ethanol"

Maybe they don't consider diesel a fuel......

Not sure of much. I just read the signs and stickers they post on the pump.

"All fuel has up to 10% ethanol"

Maybe they don't consider diesel a fuel......
Ediesel is a very niche market due to low flash point caused by ethanol and lowering lubricant factor. In other words it just doesn't work well for engines designed to run off a C-16 molecule versus gasoline a C-8 molecule.

We get the non-ethanol at Casey's for the Polaris Rangers, chainsaws, etc. - and pay a premium. Never noticed a sticker that indicates ethanol, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

There's only one place around here that sells off road diesel and lately, it's more expensive than regular diesel, especially if we use our bonus points at Dillon's (owned by Kroeger). Is off road better for tractors, loaders, etc.?

We get the non-ethanol at Casey's for the Polaris Rangers, chainsaws, etc. - and pay a premium. Never noticed a sticker that indicates ethanol, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

There's only one place around here that sells off road diesel and lately, it's more expensive than regular diesel, especially if we use our bonus points at Dillon's (owned by Kroeger). Is off road better for tractors, loaders, etc.?
Last time I talked to one of my understudies there is no difference cept dyes and taxation rate. It's all low sulfur.

Sinclair stations here have higher octane non ethanol. It is about a dollar a gallon higher than the 10% ethanol regular gas.

Here the non-ethanol gasoline tends to be the high octane version due to demand for high octane for boat engines (we are near a large lake with lots of boats). Some stations have both 87 and high octane non-ethanol, but that requires additional tanks and pumps that most probably can't justify for the limited demand for non-ethanol.

As far as ethanol in diesel, I had never heard of that. Here the diesel MAY have bio-diesel added which is oil/fuel from soybeans or vegetable oil. Mix may be 5 to 20% bio-diesel. Rumor is that low temperature gelling is more of a problem with the bio-diesel.

Ethanol is an alcohol. Mostly made from corn in the US. Made from sugarcane in most other countries. It tends to eat away (corrode) steel tubing and plastic/rubber components (flex hoses, seals, etc) As an alcohol, it also likes to combine with water from the moisture in the air. Which then further rusts metal components and also is a food source for fungus and molds in the fuel system which ends up plugging up the system.

Originally, lead was used as an octane booster in gasoline. Remember when we had regular and unleaded? Lead was determined to be a health hazard. Then a chemical MTBE was used. It was found to be getting into ground water and underground aquifers. And also a health hazard. Now, ethanol is used. There have been tax incentives for years to produce and use ethanol. These keep getting renewed. So, we are paying (through tax credit to companies) for the privilege to have this ethanol and then also paying (through higher prices per gallon) if we use gasoline that does not have ethanol. So, more corn goes to ethanol production and less corn to animal feed. The animals end up getting the byproducts from ethanol production.

Ethanol reduces your mileage due to being lower in energy (btu). There are much better octane boosters like alkylate.
Ethanol is mandated and is a very high priced subsidy.
It can only be transported by train or truck due to being totally miscible with water.
Guess who owns the trains and which family dynasty sold us down the river.

Latest posts