no more pour on

Help Support CattleToday:

jp":17hy728n said:
I had a cow go down over the weekend. first she seemed fine other than not tryin to get up, then came the bloat. tubed her and kept her watered and fed. Vet came out and said she has some parasites that stay in the stomach walls. he gave her injectable wormer, B- 12. and took fecal and blood samples to the lab.I told him I worm with pour on twice a year. He said the only wormer that kills these is injectable. said theres been alot of cases lately the cow gets heavy bred, weather is changin, cow is under stress and this parisite put em down and most of em dont make it. Tomorrow I'll be wormin everything.jp

I think maybe she had worms, but this isn't necessarily what she died of, have you thought of that?

GMN

THE POUR ONS DON'T KILL LIVER FLUKES ONLY THE INJECTABLES,& THEY ONLY KILL THE ADULTS LIVER FLUKE. YOU STILL HAVE TO USE A PASTE DRENCHING DOWN THE THROAT TO GET THE OTHERS. THATS WHY I ROTATE MEDICINES ONCE A YEAR WITH INJECTABLES AND ONCE WITH POUR ON. AND EVERY TWO YEARS OR AS NEEDED,I USE SAFE GAURD & CURATRIM MIXED AND DRENCH EM THIS GETS THE ONE THE SHOTS DON'T. IT'S HARDER WORK AND VERY EXSPENSIVE ABOUT THREE THE TIMES THE COST OF SHOTS SO I DON'T DO THIS AS OFTEN. But it gets er done

GMN,accordin to the lab and vet it was. her blood was thinned way down. jp

Putangitangi":7jk1zuss said:
In this country parasitic resistance to the chemicals in wormers is building quickly. The advice is to get an egg count done, apply whatever wormer you're using, wait a week to ten days and do the egg count again. If there's not been a 95% reduction in the eggs in the sample, your drench isn't working. Most of the problem is happening on feeder-calf farms, I believe, where there's a lot of resistance on chemicals to maintain production. Calves on cows don't need so much intervention.
I use a pour-on which covers immature and mature liver fluke (as well as the other internals), which has made the annual liver-fluke drenching vastly simpler! We didn't know we had it before doing a blood test several years ago and after drenching (oral only then) put an average 220lbs back on every cow! I was pretty new then and didn't realise how bad things were.
What kinda pour on?

CowpokeJ":34cyleho said:
Putangitangi":34cyleho said:
...I use a pour-on which covers immature and mature liver fluke (as well as the other internals), which has made the annual liver-fluke drenching vastly simpler! ...
What kinda pour on?
http://www.ancare.co.nz/main.cfm?id=30&pid=56 will give you the details. It sounds like there may not be an equivalent formulation in the US. It's a godsend here for one-person operations!

Latest posts