no more pour on

Help Support CattleToday:

There are two liver flukes that commonly infect cattle in the United States: Fasciola hepatica and Fasciola magna. F. hepatica is the most common liver fluke of cattle. It is found mainly in the Gulf States, California and the Pacific Northwest. It is not considered a problem in cattle raised in Michigan. F. magna is found throughout North America primarily in the deer population which is its natural host.

Snails are the culprits.

sidney411":cg12msj0 said:
OK, Ya'll are right. I don't have any of those conditions in my pastures so I didn't think about that. No swamps here. :lol:

All it takes is wet grass and snails. The grass doesn;t even needto be all that wet as long as the soil stays moist

dun

i priced a couple of months ago and the pour-on is more expensive. i was going to rotate every other time, alot of people do that. i ask my vet and he said the injectable was best. i want to do what works best for the cattle i am working. like someone said we don't know what is going on inside until it shows on the outside.

novaman":12hs6mlc said:
Does anybody know the difference in cost between injectable and pour on? I've never had a problem by using pour on but then again I can't see whats going on inside the cattle either. If the injectable isn't much more expensive that sounds like the way to go.
Pretty much anything that's conveinient, costs more, but wont necessarily do a better job.

Angus/B, The final diagnosis from the lab was she was anemic from the loss of red blood cells due to the parisites in her gut walls. I was talkin to a local cattle man today and he rotates his injectable wormers and mentioned he sometimes uses safegard paste. jp

i want to know what the parasites are?

also what was the age, condition and breed makeup of this cow out of curiosity.

i cant remember the parasite name Beefy, just know they were in the gut walls. the cow was a 4 yr old limosine in good condition, aprox 6 months bred. The first thing the vet did was feel the end of her tail and it was spungy. He knew just what it was cause he said theres been alot of it this year. when he drew blood he showed me how thin it was and said that was from the low red cells.the results from the lab just confirmed what he had already told me. Hope this helps. jp

Dusty Britches":2js3nyj5 said:
We rotate between Ivomec Plus Injectable (fall/ winter), Safeguard Paste (spring), Cydexin Pour on (summer).

Our vet says that using one one type of wormer will allow the bugs to build up a resistence.

Sounds like everyone has def.advice. I think I will use your method and cover all my basis. Just sounds mor logical.

An ounce of prevention is worth a lb. of cure.

Thanks Learnd a lot about flukes. Dun; Can You see em on that grass? Seriously

I've never tryed the paste on cows, have enough trouble givin that to the horses. jp

I've never had trouble with the paste. I just shove it half way down the back of their throat and let them have it real quick. They swallow it all before they really even have a chance to taste it. Got to do the whole thing from start to finish real quick though.

I want to put out there that it is important to read labels on these wormers, some wormers can not be used on different types of animals, such as Dairy vs Beef.

GMN

dj":100s3dk5 said:
IVOMEC Pour-On is also effective against the following external parasites;
Horn flies
Cattle grubs
Chorioptic and Sarcoptic mange mites
Sucking and biting lice

IVOMEC® (ivermectin) 1% Injection:
Gastrointestinal roundworms (including inhibited Ostertagia ostertagi in cattle)
Lungworms
Grubs
Sucking lice
Chorioptic and Sarcoptic mange mites

IVOMEC® Plus :
Liver flukes
Gastrointestinal roundworms
Lungworms
Grubs
Sucking lice
Sarcoptic and Psoroptic mange mites

I realize you need the good stuff to take out liver flukes, but are you trying to say pour on will not even kill worms???

In this country parasitic resistance to the chemicals in wormers is building quickly. The advice is to get an egg count done, apply whatever wormer you're using, wait a week to ten days and do the egg count again. If there's not been a 95% reduction in the eggs in the sample, your drench isn't working. Most of the problem is happening on feeder-calf farms, I believe, where there's a lot of resistance on chemicals to maintain production. Calves on cows don't need so much intervention.
I use a pour-on which covers immature and mature liver fluke (as well as the other internals), which has made the annual liver-fluke drenching vastly simpler! We didn't know we had it before doing a blood test several years ago and after drenching (oral only then) put an average 220lbs back on every cow! I was pretty new then and didn't realise how bad things were.

Stocker Steve, no, that was copy and paste from the Ivomec site in response to oaktrace's question about the difference between pour on verses injectible. Don't know now why I didn't include worms for the pour on. It's corrected.

The term liver fluke is most often used, and it indicates where the parasite normally resides.The fluke grows in the bile ducts of the liver, producing eggs; these eggs later migrate into the intestines, are passed out in the feces, and are picked up by an intermediate host, the common snail. The parasite lives in the snail until it developes into the next stage; it then leaves the snail and crawls up on grass; the grass is eaten by cattle, thus causing a reinfestation and completion of the life cycle. Most common in Gulf Coast states and any low-lying wet areas.

The common snail? Here it's a couple of species of water snail only, so where they are not present, there is no fluke infection. I think of the common snail as the one I crunch underfoot on garden walks.

MikeC":22l3a9pp said:
Went to a seminar on cattle parasites last year. The main speaker said there is evidence that some parasites have built an immunity to some of the pour-ons.

Egg and hatching cycles, plus pasture infestations should take priority over all else when ridding parasites.

He made the statement that we are not de-worming cattle, we are de-worming our pastures.

I was told the same thing. A vet in My area did some of his own triles with pour on Ivomec and its generic counter part. His conclusion was that the generic was worht less. The egg count was the same and sometimes higher after the generic. IMO cutting cost is always good. Minerals, bulls and herd health is not the area to skimp out on. I don't care if generic has worked well in the past. Seems like it will always catch up with you and then it is too late.

Scotty":3bxox900 said:
MikeC":3bxox900 said:
Went to a seminar on cattle parasites last year. The main speaker said there is evidence that some parasites have built an immunity to some of the pour-ons.

Egg and hatching cycles, plus pasture infestations should take priority over all else when ridding parasites.

He made the statement that we are not de-worming cattle, we are de-worming our pastures.

I was told the same thing. A vet in My area did some of his own triles with pour on Ivomec and its generic counter part. His conclusion was that the generic was worht less. The egg count was the same and sometimes higher after the generic. IMO cutting cost is always good. Minerals, bulls and herd health is not the area to skimp out on. I don't care if generic has worked well in the past. Seems like it will always catch up with you and then it is too late.

:roll: Does the vet that you mention sell Ivomec?

Latest posts