no more pour on

Help Support CattleToday:

jp

Reaction score
I had a cow go down over the weekend. first she seemed fine other than not tryin to get up, then came the bloat. tubed her and kept her watered and fed. Vet came out and said she has some parasites that stay in the stomach walls. he gave her injectable wormer, B- 12. and took fecal and blood samples to the lab.I told him I worm with pour on twice a year. He said the only wormer that kills these is injectable. said theres been alot of cases lately the cow gets heavy bred, weather is changin, cow is under stress and this parisite put em down and most of em dont make it. Tomorrow I'll be wormin everything.jp

The last time whe took some cows to the vet he suggested that we should have him worm them. I told him that they had already been wormed with pour-on. He said that he had a customer that only used pour-on but was having trouble so had the vet do a fecal and he said it was full of worms. So we went ahead and had him do the injectible while he had them there. I'm glad that you told us about this since I was wondering if it was just a way for the vet to get more money. (We've had bad experiences with other vets in the past)

must be, if one is doin a better job than the other. I've always thought pour on was just as good till today. and maybe in some climates it still is.jp

IVOMEC Pour-On offers persistent activity against the most damaging internal parasites of cattle1. IVOMEC Pour-On effectively controls infections and protects cattle from reinfection with Ostertagia ostertagi, Oesophagostomum radiatum, Haemonchus placei, Trichostrongylus axei, Cooperia punctata and Cooperia oncophora for 14 days after treatment.

IVOMEC Pour-On is also effective against the following external parasites;
Horn flies
Cattle grubs
Chorioptic and Sarcoptic mange mites
Sucking and biting lice

IVOMEC® (ivermectin) 1% Injection:
Gastrointestinal roundworms (including inhibited Ostertagia ostertagi in cattle)
Lungworms
Grubs
Sucking lice
Chorioptic and Sarcoptic mange mites

IVOMEC® Plus :
Liver flukes
Gastrointestinal roundworms
Lungworms
Grubs
Sucking lice
Sarcoptic and Psoroptic mange mites

Went to a seminar on cattle parasites last year. The main speaker said there is evidence that some parasites have built an immunity to some of the pour-ons.

Egg and hatching cycles, plus pasture infestations should take priority over all else when ridding parasites.

He made the statement that we are not de-worming cattle, we are de-worming our pastures.

I have used both Ivomec Plus and Pour-On wormers in the past. But my vet recently told me that there is evidence that Ivomec Plus will not kill the type of liver flukes in our area and recommended switching to Valbazon drench.

well my cow was dead this mornin. just glad I had the vet out for the first one so it wont happen to any more. That is why it is so important to call a vet if you're not sure what is wrong, even if ya cant save one ya can stop it from happenin to the rest. I dont understand how some people can watch 2 or 3 die withen a couple days of each other and never call a vet. jp

Sounds like cleaning up your pasture is great advice. But I have heard that liver flucks can be picked up in pond water.
I have also heard that one should rotate between poor on and injectabe, as they will each kill off specific types of parasites.
Or should one take in a fecal sample and just treat what they have?

Liver flukes live in water such as a pond, tank, or creek. Your pastures have nothing to do with liver fluke infestation unless your cattle have no access to any water other then trough water.

sidney411":3074ysmh said:
Liver flukes live in water such as a pond, tank, or creek. Your pastures have nothing to do with liver fluke infestation unless your cattle have no access to any water other then trough water.

Pastures can be the problem. When we flood irrigated our pastures would be infested with them.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/VM089

dun

we use sprinklers as the irrigation method and liver fluke can be a big problem certain times of the year. Over here its mostly a late summer, autumn and early winter thing. Under our veld conditions its when the drinking ponds are at their lowest so the concentraion are at the highest and in the pastures its when the irrigation dams are at its lowest before the onset of the rainy season.

Some cows are affected badly while others seems to have a natural resistance. Have anyone else experienced the same?

my two cents, i have used injectable and rotate different kinds. my vet recommended injectable for a long time, you don't get as good protection from pour-on.

We rotate between Ivomec Plus Injectable (fall/ winter), Safeguard Paste (spring), Cydexin Pour on (summer).

Our vet says that using one one type of wormer will allow the bugs to build up a resistence.

Does anybody know the difference in cost between injectable and pour on? I've never had a problem by using pour on but then again I can't see whats going on inside the cattle either. If the injectable isn't much more expensive that sounds like the way to go.

sidney411":2dwvm3k5 said:

what about swampy wetland pastures found in such places as south georgia and florida?

Latest posts