NJW 98S DURANGO 44U

Help Support CattleToday:

Baldie Maker

Reaction score
Some one had brought this bull up before, but select had no video at the time. I did a search and couldn't get it to hit on the old post, so I decided I'd bring it up again. I'm not interested in using the bull at this time, even though I like his breeding, just mainly what the board members had to say about him and particularly the way he moves in the video.

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... d=Hereford

His sire isnt that way I saw him a couple of years ago at the ky hereford sale.
He was 5.5 or so by my eye deep with good structure and lots of pigment.
Very free moving, I saw him in with 30 cows after the summer on forage and he looked great.

Now he is a heifer bull, in everyway. Dont try to make him what he aint... lol I tried.

You are not going to get performance out of him, or bulls that you would put on a cow herd and put huge pounds on.

BUT... if you are looking for a bull that you can breed to heifers and get a live calf that will make great cows?
He is your guy.

As compared to 242 or progress he is much more of a performance bull, no dinks just not gonna be a curve bender.
I like progress more than 242, using a progress son to clean up this year.

I dont think they bred him for that or are selling him in that way?
Anyhow, use the sire.

Lol thats funny...

I take it toad isnt a good thing?

Have you ever seen his sire? I think durango could be one of those bulls that doesnt stamp his sons but is a great cow maker.

Have you seen thm solution? he is a son that tommy meade is using.

I shouldn't have been rude but that was my opinion. I was surprised he was over two years old he looked more like a yearling. He is very moderate, not much length, and just fair muscling. His sire looks like a meat wagon in his new picture and maybe this bull would sire some good daughters but as Kneirse would say he's just not my cup of tea. I may be totaly wrong but I just can't picture a load of his calves selling very well at the sale barn.

I have a lot of respect for Ned & Jan Ward. Jan's dad was one heck of a good cattle man and if I was to ever go polled they would probably be the first place I'd go.

You havnt been rude?

Like I said I dont care much for 44U either.
But I have learned to like his sire, for what he does. He has more growth than any heifer bull I have seen, and is a true low BW sire who makes pretty dang good cows.

I like NJW's program also, I like the meade program but dont think much of solution? But I have only seen pics?
Maybe he is better in real life? They rarely are!

Who do you use for heifers?

I agree with Northern, he's hound gutted - translated from our Canadian slang - it means he ain't near deep enough.

Also agree with Ned, a load of his calves wouldn't make the order buyers drool. They'd be smooth and I'm sure "correct", but they aren't going to be great carcass cattle. There simply is not enough muscle and power in that bull to be anymore than a heifer bull. That's all I'd advertise him as.

Latest posts