nieghbor got a cpl cows and a bull..trainwreck for me

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so they have cow exp....dad worked for a decent size ranch here....but does everything in a higher class than me tho....far as fertilizer no til drill blah blah. cows aint nothing special

got some Hereford cross out there..bout 10 on maybe 7 acres. 5 pairs. and a bull..angus thing..not bad looking young one but a skinny butt angus anyways.

cept their fence joins along my heifer weaning fenceline. he doesn't do much on his fancy pasture keeping as far as fencing. at that he aint worth a dang. so come this last weekend of the month when the moon is right ive got 8 hiefers and 2 steers to go into that 10 ac pasture his borders on.

soooo. im not to thrilled about his crappy angus breed into my beefmasters. got some real nice hiefers im gonna keep back and don't need his bull contaminating my herd

any thoughts on how I might approach this before his bull ends up in my place. ive already helped his 2 young [10 and 13 yr old] sons get back a cpl loose ones. and yesterday I ran over to get ones head out of the gate..

Sounds like you might have a good enough relationship. Maybe y'all can get together on that fence. Get it fixed up right and a good hotwire on standouts on the bull side.

Fwiw I like a black Angus x beefmaster :D

Yup, hotwire, lots of it!.. and if you can manage it, a bit of a divider fence to keep them from getting tooo close to each other

divider is what I was thinkin..been there 20 yrs and now I gotta deal with a neighbor having cows...crap..hotwire on his side probly not gonna happen..his bull is young..think hes gonna be tough to keep out

It's tough but I would not let a situation happen. I would rethink where you put those heifers, having them right next to your neighbours fence is asking for trouble no matter how good the fence is. Once they find they can get through a fence with the heifers they will never stop trying no matter how well you upgrade it, best to not put temptation there to start with, it is tough, you feel you have the right to use your property as you see fit and he believes he has the right to use his as he sees fit. Put them somewhere else.

Ken

wbvs58":fxirwz6h said:
It's tough but I would not let a situation happen. I would rethink where you put those heifers, having them right next to your neighbours fence is asking for trouble no matter how good the fence is. Once they find they can get through a fence with the heifers they will never stop trying no matter how well you upgrade it, best to not put temptation there to start with, it is tough, you feel you have the right to use your property as you see fit and he believes he has the right to use his as he sees fit. Put them somewhere else.

Ken
A lot of times I've found that the bull isn;t the real problem, it's slutty heifers/cows that will go anywhere and through anything to get bred.

dun":1pooijq9 said:
wbvs58":1pooijq9 said:

Ken
A lot of times I've found that the bull isn;t the real problem, it's slutty heifers/cows that will go anywhere and through anything to get bred.

Both very, very good points. I was thinking maybe hay the 10 acres and pasture elsewhere.

dun":1ookqbop said:
[

Now now! We don't blame the bulls for being slutty! Takes two to tango :D :lol: :pretty:

I didn't share fence for 20 yrs..now I don't have the choice..hot wire isn't gonna happen...not buying a fence charger and all that to put out in the middle of nowhere

its the only pasture I have for weaning fenced good enough. I guess I gotta go bust my A$$ to fix a problem I didn't have.

he sposed to call me back today..see when its gonna be gone. his wife said its not their bull

dieselbeef":2z7xi1fk said:
I didn't share fence for 20 yrs..now I don't have the choice..hot wire isn't gonna happen...not buying a fence charger and all that to put out in the middle of nowhere

its the only pasture I have for weaning fenced good enough. I guess I gotta go bust my A$$ to fix a problem I didn't have.

he sposed to call me back today..see when its gonna be gone. his wife said its not their bull

Hope you like the looks of his bull, because without a good hot wire your fighting a loosing battle.

i don't..and I don't need to be dealing with 1 yr old bred purebred beefmasters I could get premiums on either..theyll all be between 5-7 mos..9 of em...don't need his bull screwing things up...ill see what he says today...

dieselbeef":18ubmt1y said:

The problem is you, your neighbor has the right to utilize his land as he sees fit.
Again solve the issue with a hot wire or move the fence. If not the only person you have to blame for any issues stares at you every morning in the mirror.

Dun is absolutely correct as well on slutty cows back there butt up to s fence.

oh I know its my problem so solve. but if the bull is going away in 2-3 weeks I don't need to deal with the fence issue...I wouldn't think to tell them its their problem...worst case ill make it taller and field fence it ....dbl posted...

he was cool..said he is having it fenced but the bull will be gone by the end fof the month so I can keep em on my 5ac piece til hes gone then open it up

Latest posts