Newborn dosage for vitamin ADE

Help Support CattleToday:

mom to 4

Reaction score
I've been reading the posts about BoSe and how too much can OD a calf. What about vitamin shots? We've never given vitamin shots to calves born out on pasture, but this year we had 6 heifers up at the born and got advise from our vet. He suggested 2 1/2 cc BoSe and 5cc Vit. ADE. Does that sound reasonable? Vet gives them IM. Is SQ alright? I prefer to use SQ whenever I can. So far, 4 calves born from the heifers 1-6 days old and doing fine.

I don't have the bottles of Bose and Vitamin AD&E in front of me, but I think if that's what the vet suggested, that's what I'd do. And, if he gives them IM, that's probably what I'd do, also, especially the vitamins. Ask him..

Alice :)

SC is fine. It's probably absorbed better from the muscle, but it takes longer to absorb when given under the skin (so less chance of ODing).

BoSe is comprised of Selenium and vit E, and so all I keep at home is a bottle of A/D, so I'm not giving vit E in two different shots. 2 1/2cc of BoSe is under the usual dosage, so that may be why -- your vet didn't want an OD. I don't have my vet books with me now so I don't recall if there's problem with vit E OD or not.

mom to 4":3ipctdsq said:
He suggested ... and 5cc Vit. ADE. Does that sound reasonable?

Vitamins A and D are fat soluble (as, I believe, E is also), so there is a much higher chance of toxicity. The bottle says 1 cc for newborns, so you would be giving 5X's the recommended dosage. I don't believe I would do it.

msscamp":3e255lny said:
mom to 4":3e255lny said:

Vitamins A and D are fat soluble (as, I believe, E is also), so there is a much higher chance of toxicity. The bottle says 1 cc for newborns, so you would be giving 5X's the recommended dosage. I don't believe I would do it.

Is it possible that there are different "strengths" -- that this is a more dilute solution? I don't have the original bottle. I just purchased a few doses. I don't think I'll treat any more with it until I find out for sure.

If it (too much ADE) was going to cause a problem in the calf I gave it to, how long would it take to show up and what would I look for?

mom to 4":l2zow9sc said:
msscamp":l2zow9sc said:
mom to 4":l2zow9sc said:

Is it possible that there are different "strengths" -- that this is a more dilute solution? I don't have the original bottle. I just purchased a few doses. I don't think I'll treat any more with it until I find out for sure.

I'm sorr, but I don't know the answer to that question. I suppose it would be possible that some manufacturers could/would produce a weaker product, but I've never compared labels. What about calling the clinic, asking what brand it is, and doing your own research about strength at the local co-op/feed store? FWIW - the brand we use is Sparhawk and the recommended dosage is 1/2 to 1 ml for calves, 1-2 ml for yearlings, and 2-4 for adult cattle. Each ml contains 500,000 units of vitamin A, 75,000 ml of vitamin D3, which are in an emulsifiable base of vitamin E and several other things. I found this article that pretty much covers vitamins, their function, causes of deficiency, etc., but it's not so much for newborns. I thought it might be helpful, anyway, so I'm posting it.

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/a ... g02058.htm

I'll see if I can find one about toxicity in newborn calves for you.

I give 1 cc A&D and 4 cc BoSe to newborns. A&D should be give IM not SQ. BoSe can be give either way, whatever is your preverence. We SQ BoSe for slow release, but if we have a problem calf and want to get the Selenium into the calf quicker, we IM 1/2 the dose & SQ the other 1/2.

Your veterinarian is sure conservative on the Dose of BoSe. My aunt is a Vet, and she has been practicing for 30 years now. She started out as mixed practice, but she was really about 75% large, of that 70% was bovine, and then she opened her own practice about 28 years ago. She was then about 70% Large and 30% small animal. My point, she has experience I guess. She always recommends 5ML of Bose at, or shortly after birth IM or IV, and so does her new associate who graduated vet school 3 years ago. Her dose is right on the money, but were in SW North Dakota, so the amount of Selenium and Vitamin E may be a lower occurring element here. You must always be cautious when using Vitamin E AnD, with Bose because the recommended dose is 4-6ml for a New Born Calf. This is a great treatment for contracted tendons, that occurred as a result of the calf being to big, or positioned wrong for the cows womb during the last half of the third trimester. If the calf is born with contracted Tendons then it is treatable with splints, a 12-18" bed of straw in a pen, and injectable Vitamin A and E, along with Selenium. You need to take what your veterinarian tells you into consideration at all times for your area, however here I can give 5ml of Bose to a calf and 3.5 of E AnD without causing toxicity. I know that this probably doesn't help you if you aren't in the upper midwest with your dosage dilemma, but call your vet, they won't send you a bill for talking, and if you use them for the gravy work, PG-ing/Ultra sounding, Bangs (Brucellosis) vaccinating heifers, and fertility testing your bulls, they can and will take the time to answer your questions and happily, if they don't, then find a new vet. Just don't tell him/her that you got advice on a chat room because if you do, that will make them short and angry with you. Unfortunately most veterinarians do not take kindly to folks giving advice to each other with Dr.Google. This is in-part because if you are given the wrong advice by someone with the best intentions who just got lucky, and you make your animal even more ill, or worse even perish, the vet has to work hard on a lost cause or something that they could have treated in a simple hour took 2 or 3 days of work, and expense. I like saving money, I worked with my aunt at her clinic, I know that I receive a discount because she likes me (I know what she charges my Dad and Uncle, its not family, she likes me haha) but even that gets spend for someone my age just out of college and starting to build up a herd. My advice, call your vet about the dose, and give the meds the way he tells you to, when you are told to, and give them amount you are instructed to give, for 3 reasons. 1.) I am not your neighbor, if I were I know what you would be told to do based on geography, soil science, experience that has never harmed a calf and geo chemistry here, so my dose is likely higher than yours. 2.) If the calf gets sick and you did what the Vet says, its not his responsibility, his butt on the line, so he/she cant get short or angry with you. 3.) You didn't go to college for 8-9 years to become a veterinarian, and neither did I, my degree is Pre-Vet/Pre-Med, but I became an EMT instead of going to school for 8 more years, I have 13 months left on top of my other college experience and I will be a paramedic. I know more about Medicine, and Vet-med, and Biology than your average person, and you may well too, I don't know your background, but I am not a vet, If I know something I will say that this is what I have been told, but I will never give advice without a license. Even if it is a cow, you can still get sued, and I love animals, I would feel bad if a cow, dog, horse, cat, zebra, Ewe, Goat, etc... got worse and went through un-necessary pain and suffering because of advice I gave, or died.

Latest posts