Help Support CattleToday:

:welcome: Better always to be safe than sorry. Everyone needs to be on the safe side now in this world.
We (brother and I) used to leave the bull in year round but since he passed a few years ago I have started to pull my bull so I can get my calves closer together and more uniform, being small, not a lot of calves, if they are close and can sell together I believe it helps the price. Also wean,shots,and castrated helps too.

i just came from a calf value class..there is no value to the middle guy..the lot between us and the feedlot...to do any backgrounding except the castration. all the vaccinations will get done before we ship em to Kansas or whever theyre going because he has no idea which shots they got if any.

if you load off the cow..wean on the trlr deal...do it the day of the sale to avoid shrink...or else wean and hold that calf for 120 days after separation to regain size and weight

this was the owner of quincy cattle company that gave the class

maximum value is a large frame castrated calf at least 120 days off the cow... typically and 8-9 mo old calf.

the problem lies in if we can get enough weight back on em

I believe what you said is true but my way of thinking is that I will do my best to market a good calf. If it don't help then at least I know what I did. I am always at the sale and tell them what vacs they have had including the maker. If they elect to re-vac then that is their choice.
Where or how did you find out about that class, I would like to try to catch one in my neck of the woods.
Always to get the weight back on them gonna be an objective.

dieselbeef":13izfw9t said:
safe aint paranoid.....just curious as to where anyone in fl is..haven't ever met anyone local on here yet...
Diesel so how far are you from me since I do not no where You are located?

dieselbeef":2m73fxlu said:
it was posted with the sale sheets I get emailed to me
Ok
Don't be offended about where I was located but I had a VERY bad experience but I did send you my location.

[

if you load off the cow..wean on the trlr deal...do it the day of the sale to avoid shrink...or else wean and hold that calf for 120 days after separation to regain size and weight

this was the owner of quincy cattle company that gave the class

maximum value is a large frame castrated calf at least 120 days off the cow... typically and 8-9 mo old calf.

"Diesel I am confused about the 120 days off the Cow" How do you separate the cow/calf. Do you feed him or just let the grass put the weight on him?

they need to be separated. if feed is cheap enough it will work for ya. increased age and bone weight .

but if you cannot keep your inputs low enough on the feed it may not be cost effective. theyre gonna have shrink even if they hit the scale the day after weaning.. if ya can make it pay by keeping your costs low itll work. I can do it with citrus pellets because I get them cheap enough. I expect some can do it just on grass but that's a product of genetics mostly

Latest posts