Newbie seeking mentor

Help Support CattleToday:

lpalos

Reaction score
Hello All,

My brother and I have finally made the decision to pursue our dreams and go into the cattle business. He is a bit more educated with cattle since he has two-three head on his land. (Our father also worked the dairy farms many, many years ago and has taught my brother some...)

We are looking into buying 50+ acres near (north) of DFW, TX and want to raise/sell cattle as well as have some hay production... but since this is a huge decision for me, and since I am a bit more independant/stubborn (call it what you wish), I am hoping to find a mentor who I can learn from. I learn hands-on and would like to know exactly what I am getting into before we make the leap. This will be our family business, so the planning is essential for me and I'd rather do it right the first time. (Our goal is to purchase property early in the 2009 year and go from there)

Anyone near the DFW area (or in N Texas/S Oklahoma for that matter) willing to take on a young sponge??

BTW - I've learned a ton already reading on the site... thanks for all those who respond.

You'd most likely be better off looking for a mentor by cruising some of the ranches in your area. Look for a good looking herd roaming the fences. Work up some courage and knock on the door of the farmhouse. Offer your assistance in return for knowledge. Explain your goals. You seem to be starting small, which is good. Some ranchers won't want to help you because it is like teaching their competition, but many will be thankful for the help.

How many cattle are you thinking to run on 50 acres? How much money do you think they will bring in? The land investment is going to be large, and I'm hoping you are not planning on the cattle generating enough income to pay for it. There is just no way that will happen these days.

Good luck to you!

Hi lpalos

I am definitely not one qualified enough to give you any sort of advice with the cattle market in the USA but in saying that, like each and every one of us I do have opinions, dreams and goals of which I thank everyone pursue their should have dreams and goals no matter what, but all of us at some point have to be some what realistic about the steps and decisions we take in life ...

I also want to mention that I am also getting into the cattle ranching business and have been going over figures hoping that I make enough from a cow calf herd to support my young family on 320 acres... ya know I'm not looking to get rich, my only goal is for my family to live the country and ranch type of lifestyle and if I can some how make enough to achieve this then I've reached my only goal, anything after that I would consider to be an added bonus, I just think it's the only way to live and raise a young family, both me and my beautiful wife have lived and worked the corporate lifestyle for way to long, both have had excellent working positions for many years and with a few setbacks along the way, still have only ever made enough to keep our house over our heads and the wolves away from our doors... we have always been country folk and have never really fit in with the hustle and bustle of the city life ... I purchased my beautiful wife a show calf one year and she went on about it just like a city gal would do after her husband just purchased her a brand new BMW..... we are country folk!

Anyway, we are selling up and moving out east of Colorado Springs, purchasing 320 acres with an ag well... no home as of yet, just a blank slate to work with, we have enough to buy the land, a nice herd of 40-60 cow calf pairs and enough for a tractor and coral and a small home, maybe a doublewide for start, even though I've never lived in a doublewide or any sort of trailer home, we would have enough to sustain us for 2 years.... presently our home is a 5 bed, two story on 3 acres with in-ground swimming pool, in a really prestigious neighborhood.

I guess my point in telling you all of this is that if we can make 25-30K off the 320 acres every year then, we are living our dream and as I say anything after that would be an added bonus but we all would be sure living our dreams.

In saying all of this I would have to say that I don't know if this is possible and have been sitting on the fence about this pulling my hair out for many months/years.... and we have just got to do it but getting back to your post lpalos I just don't know how you could do in on 50 acres let alone 320 acres....as I say I still have concerns whether we will make it.....I'm sure we will, were getting real good at taking punches but you just never know what life throws at you..

I would say still go for your dream no matter what as you will encounter many new experiences in your life and many wonderful people...

Remember, sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but also to see who cares enough to break them down. :D (hence) if you want something bad enough you will make it happen or enjoy trying...

All the best!!

TNMasterBeefProducer":28bfp4x1 said:
If you were in Tennessee I would be your mentor and take you under my wing. However, since you are not in Tennessee the best I can do is try and answer any and all questions that you may have on this website.

I'm not much on comedy but that right there is funny!

WhirlingDRanch":1osbb6ej said:
Hi lpalos

I am definitely not one qualified enough to give you any sort of advice with the cattle market in the USA but in saying that, like each and every one of us I do have opinions, dreams and goals of which I thank everyone pursue their should have dreams and goals no matter what, but all of us at some point have to be some what realistic about the steps and decisions we take in life ...

I also want to mention that I am also getting into the cattle ranching business and have been going over figures hoping that I make enough from a cow calf herd to support my young family on 320 acres... ya know I'm not looking to get rich, my only goal is for my family to live the country and ranch type of lifestyle and if I can some how make enough to achieve this then I've reached my only goal, anything after that I would consider to be an added bonus, I just think it's the only way to live and raise a young family, both me and my beautiful wife have lived and worked the corporate lifestyle for way to long, both have had excellent working positions for many years and with a few setbacks along the way, still have only ever made enough to keep our house over our heads and the wolves away from our doors... we have always been country folk and have never really fit in with the hustle and bustle of the city life ... I purchased my beautiful wife a show calf one year and she went on about it just like a city gal would do after her husband just purchased her a brand new BMW..... we are country folk!

Anyway, we are selling up and moving out east of Colorado Springs, purchasing 320 acres with an ag well... no home as of yet, just a blank slate to work with, we have enough to buy the land, a nice herd of 40-60 cow calf pairs and enough for a tractor and coral and a small home, maybe a doublewide for start, even though I've never lived in a doublewide or any sort of trailer home, we would have enough to sustain us for 2 years.... presently our home is a 5 bed, two story on 3 acres with in-ground swimming pool, in a really prestigious neighborhood.

I guess my point in telling you all of this is that if we can make 25-30K off the 320 acres every year then, we are living our dream and as I say anything after that would be an added bonus but we all would be sure living our dreams.

In saying all of this I would have to say that I don't know if this is possible and have been sitting on the fence about this pulling my hair out for many months/years.... and we have just got to do it but getting back to your post lpalos I just don't know how you could do in on 50 acres let alone 320 acres....as I say I still have concerns whether we will make it.....I'm sure we will, were getting real good at taking punches but you just never know what life throws at you..

I would say still go for your dream no matter what as you will encounter many new experiences in your life and many wonderful people...

Remember, sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but also to see who cares enough to break them down. :D (hence) if you want something bad enough you will make it happen or enjoy trying...

All the best!!

Why Colorado I'm thinking you could get alot more bang for your buck in about any other place as to cost per cow unit.Mo or Ok maybe.If your looking to make money off of people I think Co would be a great choice,I hauled some cows out of a town just south of denver last winter and I think I could have made a killing off of those folks,just building things and doing a little dirt work.Maybe a little home based enterprise would go well with your plan to keep you from spending your saveings while you get started.Just some ramdom thoughts good luck to you and your family.

lpalos":3m9sevml said:
Hello All,

My brother and I have finally made the decision to pursue our dreams and go into the cattle business. He is a bit more educated with cattle since he has two-three head on his land. (Our father also worked the dairy farms many, many years ago and has taught my brother some...)

We are looking into buying 50+ acres near (north) of DFW, TX and want to raise/sell cattle as well as have some hay production... but since this is a huge decision for me, and since I am a bit more independant/stubborn (call it what you wish), I am hoping to find a mentor who I can learn from. I learn hands-on and would like to know exactly what I am getting into before we make the leap. This will be our family business, so the planning is essential for me and I'd rather do it right the first time. (Our goal is to purchase property early in the 2009 year and go from there)

Anyone near the DFW area (or in N Texas/S Oklahoma for that matter) willing to take on a young sponge??
BTW - I've learned a ton already reading on the site... thanks for all those who respond.

Building fence is the most important skill you can learn, and I'm willing to teach you all I know about it. ;-) The best part is your only about a hour and a half south of this great opportunity.We might even work a few cows :D

Well the heat and humidity in Texas and Oklahoma is just something I can't get used to... by the way Oklahoma is probably my favorite state, I think I've been in every county in Oklahoma, the humidity though is a big factor for me... I like to think that I've done a good days work when I sweat but to walk out the door and sweat on the spot without even lifting a finger... humidity not for me, but I love everything about Oklahoma.

Regarding the land, I get more bang for my buck in Colorado... I can't afford big acreage costs in Oklahoma or Texas... I just can't do it, we went on a bit of a road trip last week just east of Colorado Springs and finely I was able to breath... the lower temperatures and the slight humidity were just great!.... I'm also a Farrier by trade and a web developer and designer for 12 years so I can make a little extra here and there if need be... also having the support of the worlds greatest wife. I don't want to make a living off other people, I want to make a living off the land.

You crack me up when you say
Building fence is the most important skill you can learn
your kidding me right.... man all these years and I never knew I had another skill :D .... like second nature where I come from. :banana:

I took a few photographs of the acreage that we are going to purchase, I don't know my grass types here in the USA so I have to find that out but the land looked like typical sandy loom to me, maybe if I posted a few pics you guys would be able to figure out the grass type.

I wanted to look in pueblo but it was raining so hard when we were there I just couldn't stop....but I sure love the layout of the grass lands of east Colorado Springs.

So what do you guys recommend that we start out with and where would you make your first purchase, would you go to the sales yard or pick out a noted breeder of healthy and good cattle? I'm thinking black angus cow calf pairs, although I really like the look of black brangus and beefmaster but thought with so many factors going against producrs, starting with angus would maybe reove one of the factors for selling when the time comes.

I appreciate all the advice?

Thanks

WhirlingDRanch":2oogym86 said:
Hi lpalos

All the best!!

How far east of COS are you going to be? Do you know how much rainfall you'll get or what the carrying capacity is in that area? The 40-60 pairs sounds like a lot to carry year-round on 320 acres in eastern Colorado.

Just because you can deal with troubles that come along doesn't mean you should prepare as well as you can before you jump in. From the description of your home I would guess that it would be much easier for you to accumulate cash now than it will be after you start your ranch.

Also trailer/mobile homes depreciate unlike real estate.

WhirlingDRanch":2dfhprgw said:
Well the heat and humidity in Texas and Oklahoma is just something I can't get used to... by the way Oklahoma is probably my favorite state, I think I've been in every county in Oklahoma, the humidity though is a big factor for me... I like to think that I've done a good days work when I sweat but to walk out the door and sweat on the spot without even lifting a finger... humidity not for me, but I love everything about Oklahoma.

Regarding the land, I get more bang for my buck in Colorado... I can't afford big acreage costs in Oklahoma or Texas... I just can't do it, we went on a bit of a road trip last week just east of Colorado Springs and finely I was able to breath... the lower temperatures and the slight humidity were just great!.... I'm also a Farrier by trade and a web developer and designer for 12 years so I can make a little extra here and there if need be... also having the support of the worlds greatest wife. I don't want to make a living off other people, I want to make a living off the land.

You crack me up when you say
Building fence is the most important skill you can learn
your kidding me right.... man all these years and I never knew I had another skill :D .... like second nature where I come from. :banana:

I took a few photographs of the acreage that we are going to purchase, I don't know my grass types here in the USA so I have to find that out but the land looked like typical sandy loom to me, maybe if I posted a few pics you guys would be able to figure out the grass type.

I wanted to look in pueblo but it was raining so hard when we were there I just couldn't stop....but I sure love the layout of the grass lands of east Colorado Springs.

So what do you guys recommend that we start out with and where would you make your first purchase, would you go to the sales yard or pick out a noted breeder of healthy and good cattle? I'm thinking black angus cow calf pairs, although I really like the look of black brangus and beefmaster but thought with so many factors going against producrs, starting with angus would maybe reove one of the factors for selling when the time comes.

I appreciate all the advice?

Thanks

There is a Bruanvieh breeder in that area.
http://www.freemanbraunvieh.com
You may want to talk to him about the area and cattle.
I'd stay away from black cattle, depending on how many trees you have on your property, just my opinion, I think the sun is harder on the black cattle. Red Angus, Hereford and Limousin seem to be pretty popular in that part of the country.

WhirlingDRanch":1p6mylib said:
How far east of COS are you going to be? Do you know how much rainfall you'll get or what the carrying capacity is in that area? The 40-60 pairs sounds like a lot to carry year-round on 320 acres in eastern Colorado.

Just because you can deal with troubles that come along doesn't mean you should prepare as well as you can before you jump in. From the description of your home I would guess that it would be much easier for you to accumulate cash now than it will be after you start your ranch.

Also trailer/mobile homes depreciate unlike real estate.

Hi Busterz ... the rainfall is 13.8 inches, I don't know what the carrying capacity is in that area, like you said before we jump in I want to gather as much as I can in regards to what were going to need before making the leap and this forum and you guys are a wealth of information.... which is much appreciated.

Oh there are no trees.... by the way the link you sent of the braunvieh breeder, he lives on the same road :D maybe he's the guy that is leasing the property at the moment.... thank you so much for the link, I will defiantly have a talk with him about the area etc.. I really appreciate it Busterz

Thanks!

Latest posts