Newbie is feeding grain; how much?

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186":1gngqht4 said:
He seems to think that Coccidiosis is VERY serious.
I'll get the corid tomorrow and get them started on it but could someone chime in as to how serious this is?

Someone on the board recommend this book and I am recommending it to you. Keeping Livestock Healthy by Bruce Haynes. It has 2 pages about Coccidiosis. It says that it is spread through indigestion of manure from infected animals. It would probably be a good idea to raise your feeders off the ground. It also says that it kills 10 percent of infected calves. "Mature animals although commonly infected, usually have developed sufficient immunity that clinical signs do not develop. They periodically shed oocysts, and are probably the source of infection for younger generations on the farm. "

Symptoms are profuse often bloody diarrhea. I hope this helps

A friend of mine who sells books through amazon (or ebay or something - buys them from salvation armys, yard sales, etc..) actually gave me this book a couple of months ago. Haven't gotten to it yet. But I will now. Pages 240-241. The first paragraphs says that these protozoa diseases are more common in temperate/tropical climates. Weird. The hay is on the ground but they're never eating it down to the ground and I just put that grain feeder in. It also says that they are primarily a problem with younger animals. I wonder I should only treat the calves? Probably not as they probably have all picked it up?

KMacGinley":2o6aatyz said:
You could have them mix rumensin or Bovatec with the grain.

Hi KMac

Who would "them" be in "have them mix ..."? Are you assuming that I buy enough grain to have it custom mixed for me? Around here you need to
order 1 ton before they'll do that. I've just been buying 100lb bags.

But, you're saying that either of the above two could be mixed with their grain as the delivery mechanism?
I'm assuming (based on a farmer that I talked to last night) that the corid is given in the water (and he
really like to be able to directly feed each animal using a bucket).

That (rumensin or Bovatec in their feed) sounds like just the thing I need. Are they as effective as corid? I have a friend
coming over today to help with the weaning (finally!); soon I'll have separate feeders for them so that I can ensure
that the calves are getting some too.

I'm going to my coop right now. I'll see if they have those 2 as well as corid.

Thanks much,
JR

You are going to need a ton of feed before you are done! It will be much cheaper that way than buying it by the bag. Rumensin and bovatec keep coccidiosis at bay, they don't necessarily cure it. All cattle have it, or at least most of the cattle around here do. It is said to be spread by birds. We feed a preventative to calves for 21 days at weaning and that seems to do the trick.

You feed store /farmers market/elevator can also mix minerals and vitamens in you mix. They probably can recomend some different feed mixes and tell you the protien level.

In your second picture it looks like the one with it's head down is smelling some blood.

I'd give them some sulfa boluses. I prefer Albon because it's more concentrated. I'd get the 15g boluses
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

and a balling gun to administer them.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... arch=17176

While I was at it I'd put some magnets in them for any hardware they may have.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... arch=16410

Then I'd feed this stuff, Coxy Curb, at the treatment dosage.
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

Then I'd get the gun out and start shooting pigeons. ;-)

Do you have a product called Disulfox in the USA. Its an injectable sulfa that really works well on coccidiosis, requires SQ shots on 4 consequtive days for best results although even a single treatment usually has the desired effect. I just prefer an injection over a bolus on any day.

KNERSIE":1ggc03xa said:
Do you have a product called Disulfox in the USA. Its an injectable sulfa that really works well on coccidiosis, requires SQ shots on 4 consequtive days for best results although even a single treatment usually has the desired effect. I just prefer an injection over a bolus on any day.

We use to have an injectable sulfa but I don't think it's available anymore. That would take all the fun out of it anyway :) . I like using the multi-bolus gun but I couldn't find any of them on the valley vet site either.

When I raised bottle calves we used Corid as well. It used to come in a gallon jug, and you could use it as a drench, or put it into their drinking water. You'd have to have to control their water supply if you did it that way, which can be hard. We used it as a drench, which of course will require some place you can catch them and restrain them.

The worse place for cattle to get the germ is in their drinking water. Especially if you have a pond (tank in Texas) that they can get in. They mess in it and spread the germ. Fence all except the clean water as the germ will stay in the ground and get into the water. Corid works good.
Coccida is always a problem in weaning calves as they are already stressed. They can and will die if it gets started. Treat early and consistantly.

SRBeef":1nwsgajw said:
You bring up a good point and another reason to have some sort of workable handling facility - Vets don't like rodeos, they are not cowboys.

And, if you don't have any equipment or any other workable facilities, as a last resort:

Get the cow pinched off between some gates, panels, or whatever. Get a rope around one of the rear legs and get it lifted off the ground. That will stop most of the movement from the cow. At that point, the vet can get a nose clip and rope attached to lock the cow down.

A good farm vet will work with whatever he/she has to deal with. That same good farm vet is however a rare breed. Take care of them at Christmas!

Latest posts